• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:34:27 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Instancing Objects

Started by Rom, September 12, 2021, 08:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rom

Hi there !

Wanted to replicate a track for fun so I could play a bit with LIDAR data and see what kind of result we could get in-game.
Right now I have the heightmap done and wanted to put some trees to get something on the map.

First thing I tried was to export my 100+ trees but after 15 mins, fbx2edf was still not done so I tried to be more clever and instead exported only one tree but instead added a scene entry per tree in the .hmf. In my mind it would have embedded only one tree model in the map resulting in a low file size.

But what I got is a 700 mb file instead of a 100mb  :(

So my question am I doing something wrong ? Is there no instancing support in the game ?

Thanks for your time ;)

𝖙𝖋𝖈

There is no object instancing in game (like you could do with Armadillo in mcm2)..

You just place your trees in say Blender and run the fbx object through FBX2EDF.

Fully 3d trees are cool but way too expensive for MXB, and unnecessary. You have to trade off on the quality for performance..

But 700mb seems excessive. Are you sure you haven't accidentally exported the heightmap mesh too?

Rom

September 12, 2021, 10:58:00 PM #2 Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 11:08:29 PM by Rom
hey, thanks for answering !

Yeah there was not the mesh for sure.
Well 700 mb is big but if you assume the geometry and the textures in the .edf are duplicated for each scene that gives:
127 trees * 4.7 mb = 596 mb

I guess I'll have to have way less 3d trees :/
That s too bad cause it seems I did not got fps loss.

Hopefully in the future this feature will be added, at least to optimize file size and loading times :)