• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:44:49 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Menu Environment

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, January 28, 2016, 12:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

PiBoSo, is it possible to change the menu environment? By this I mean currently it's black with a lit area under the bike / rider. Is it possible to replace this with another environment like scenery.edf does for a track or background.edf does?

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on January 28, 2016, 12:09:47 PM
PiBoSo, is it possible to change the menu environment? By this I mean currently it's black with a lit area under the bike / rider. Is it possible to replace this with another environment like scenery.edf does for a track or background.edf does?

The menu background file is "misc/bg/bg.map".
It must be exported as a MAP with "TRK" for the ground name to allow shadows projection.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Hmm.. When I export as map I get a crash in FBX2EDF after 'smoothing normals'..

When I export as mesh it exports just fine.

Maybe there's something I'm missing with exporting map?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I may be missing something obvious lol.. forget my reply there I'm still playing!

𝖙𝖋𝖈

OK I have it working, but the only way I could do that was by creating a track with a 0 x 0 x 0 heightmap and using the exported edf as track scenery, then renaming track.map to be bg.map.

This works great, but it doesn't seem to allow me to change the lighting which was going to be a big part of it. Any clues?

Thanks!

𝖙𝖋𝖈

So it seems that changing the Params.ini works for the ambient and object lighting but it doesn't affect the bike and rider. Is there a way of changing this?

tseklias

Taking a look here may bring you ideas. http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1555.0
It's really a very nice try from a gpbikes' forum member.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Oh no doubt! Thanks for the link. I managed to get it working and made a quick environment to test how it would look and work with normal maps and it looks great.

My biggest problem is being able to configure the light angle. I've tried params.ini, track.amb, and adding a bg.amb and nothing seems to work. Currently I've removed the TRK prefix from the floor so the bike and rider casts no shadows, but it would be nice to get a '12 o'clock' look to it, as if lit from above.

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on January 28, 2016, 07:19:11 PM
So it seems that changing the Params.ini works for the ambient and object lighting but it doesn't affect the bike and rider. Is there a way of changing this?

The lighting is hardcoded.
It might be a good idea to allow editing.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Would be great but good to know. Definitely not a game changer! Thanks pib

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Just out of interest, what is the default light position that is hard coded?

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on January 29, 2016, 12:31:43 PM
Just out of interest, what is the default light position that is hard coded?

The values are "-0.6,1,-0.4", that mean the light is coming from the left front.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Weird one.. I discovered that if you give the wall object the DECAL prefix, and any other objects that have too much shadow it totally excludes them from having ANY shadow even realtime (or whatever shadow is applied after compiling). The only downside is that then you have no shadows, but a few quick adjustments to textures and it's not too noticeable!  8)

PiBoSo: The only problem I'm having now is when you add a normal texture to an object (even one that's not under the DECAL group) it crashes the menu.. Any idea why? I've had normals working in the bg.map as you can see in the above previous screenshots.. Not a big deal mind you..