• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:49:11 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Track Deformation For the Future

Started by BadStar, March 14, 2016, 10:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadStar

Track Deform creates very skinny ruts as you ride the tracks (obviously).

*ISSUE

• The deform lines "criss-cross" each other and create a very rough and bumpy ride. Obviously irl deformation of the tracks cause plenty of bumps but this is different, it is more rapid and shakes the handlebars constantly.
  • After leaving a track and returning, the shaky rough texture is very noticeable and distorts the sim greatly.

*Thoughts for the future

• When the lines cross, have them blend into a bigger/more wide line
or
  • Have preset deformation and as you pass so many times it activates specifc ruts that are more realistic

I am a major fan of deform, MXvsATV Alive had amazing mud ruts etc.. but I almost want to say that MXB is such a good simulator as far as bike physics, you almost don't need deform and just have ruts made into the track. The issue may just be a simple bug but it exist.
These are just some thoughts and Thank you for this Amazing sim, it really is quality!
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

Ok, so I am starting to see that the deformation is actually working really well and is pretty nice feature in mxb!

but at the sime time there is a strange thing happening that causes very fast bumpy rough patches that will cause the simulation to become slippery and unrealistic..

It oddly resembles drawing a line with "paint" program and so I will show what I mean in paint.

The red box shows the deformation that seems to be very jagged and is very common on the track(causes sim chaos), but when you get to a jump/jump approach (an area that you typically are riding in a straight line) the deform is straight, smooth, blends and you can really feel it like a real rut on a jump!

Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

philiaN

I dont think that the criss-cross is a problem, its more that the shape of the ruts are the "problem".

I tried deformation_multiplier=20 today and you can see that the rut is a really hard U with "roughness" on the bottom.

Imo a soft U shape or a soft V shape would be better.

Mace-x

There´s also the fact that we dont have bulldozing yet, so each individual rut doesnt blend wich each other to for a berm or one hole, they are lots of small ruts.

Another important fact is soil movement, when you hit a hole, mostly track ruts they move and another rut appears on top, because it´s loose dirt, right now it´s pretty much steel dirt in therms of tyre contact, they dont move, deform or blend.

Tyre deformation is another important fact to this, as ruts form, the tyre deforms as impacts a hard rut, either the tyre or the rut deforms and soften the impact, not sure if i explain myself.

Track bulldozing is supossed to come at some time, i dont expect to have perfect/real track deformation as it would be a freaking almost impossible task, would like to see an improved one tho, i might get kicked for this but for gaming purposes mx vs atv reflex did a pretty neat job at terrain deformation, ruts where nicely formed, berms worked aswell, it was good.