• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:47:25 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

TFC's Track Creation Tutorials

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, September 15, 2015, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philiaN

Thank you this will help me a lot :) My thoughts to make a SX track is that its flat so i dont have to think about the heights :)
Btw. do you make the berms and jumps in ps/sketchup or straight in l3dt? my idea was now to make only the track path in ps and the other stuff in l3dt.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

It depends. For sx (at least in beta 3) I made all the jumps, tables, whoops and berms in L3DT as singles then exported as an image so I could cut them out like in the videos above.

For nationals I find it easier to make things directly on the track in heightmap editor. Paleta v2 was made entirely in L3DT, mxbc compound was a combination of both.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I have also made heightmap jumps in sketchup that worked really well for getting precise curves..

http://forum.mx-bikes.com/index.php?topic=769.0

philiaN

Hey fats, could you maybe explain to me how you did the jumps in sketchup? I cant find a gradient tool..

i was only able to import the track path and made a block  ;D

i made the basics (geo's tuts from 1-5) and now i have to do a way better heightmap :) photoshop doenst work for me, i will use it only for the track path. then i would jump into sketchup make the jumps (and maybe the berms) and than smooth it in l3dt and/or do the berms there.

@geo if you have the time to do a new tutorial it would be really nice if you could use photoshop or better gimp (free), sketchup and l3dt  :D
And if you could show us how to create a replica nationals track (heightmap) with maybe 1 berm and 1 jump and how to import/export it the correct way :) (so "just" a new Heightmap Tutorial)

i found this really nice tutorial to do that, BUT it doenst work anymore. You need Sketchup2013 for the plugin, but sketchup13 doenst work anymore with that geolocation. there must be a similar way with 2016. maybe fats can help here :)

Here is the YT link for that Tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jrT5AVPVA8

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Yes I don't mind making a tutorial video on how to make heightmap jumps in sketchup and even how to use geolocation to make a heightmap.

Mace-x

i´d love to see the geolocation to map tutorial, it´d be nice to have a base heightmap to start with  ;D

𝖙𝖋𝖈

First post updated, geolocation to come

philiaN

Thank you so much fats :) i never could have figured it out on my own  ::)

𝖙𝖋𝖈

No prob mate.. I usually just do jumps in L3DT but have used this method to make supercross rythms back in beta 3. You can get some very specific shapes this way.

BadStar

April 26, 2016, 12:19:18 AM #24 Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 12:21:53 AM by BadStar
If you or anyone ever gets a chance, can i get a road map for the shortest way from a random gen l3dt heightmap --> in-game (on bike).. (maybe just simple texture with grass)

The terrain does not have to be smooth and ride able..I am able to do all of that.

and I notice l3dt free version doesn't seem to match up with what the heightmap requirements are? for example it must be 1025x1025 or 2049x2049 or 4097x4097.. l3dt free only seems to go up to 2048 or something.. so just stick with 1025?(it forces you into 1024x1024)
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

2049 x 2049 is fine in L3DT free version, if you really want to do 4097 x 4097 you can get the pro trial for 90 days by entering your email address and receiving a download link.

BadStar

ok but it seems to force me into a 2048x2048 when i ask it to create a 2049x2049.. is this ok?
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Not sure, I've never had that problem. I only have pro at the moment so can't check standard. I know for sure that if you import a 2049 image into standard it doesn't complain.

BadStar

ok, so maybe import is fine into standard but creating a heightmap from the standard version won't work. It will make things work much better for me if I can create the heightmap inside l3dt..so I may have to buy pro at some point soon.
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Or you just give the trial a go for free, for 90 days :P.. You could create hundreds of random terrains and store them for later..