• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:46:24 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

2007 Kawasaki KX 250 WIP - 1st Ever 3d model..

Started by GDUBMX, June 15, 2016, 04:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDUBMX

June 15, 2016, 04:25:43 AM Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:24:38 PM by gdubmx
Hey all,  after seeing Geo's and Fats recent models I've been inspired to attempt to create my own/first 3d bike model.  Not sure what bike I'm gonna do yet but should love some beginners tips and perhaps some video tutorials would be very helpful. I will be using Blender as it is open source and seems to be pretty good. I want to be able to give more than just skins to this community and modelling seems the way to go.  Really appreciate it guys and look forward to hearing from you.
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Awesome! I recommend doing the free Blender modules on cgcookie.com. It will get you started on the environment, navigating, controls and the basic way it works, then eventually you'll start to Google and youtube what you need to know.

Do it man! Get stuck in! 8)

Vortex_Damien

Great to see people wanting to learn to model.. 3D Modeling is a massive task to Get Great at.. isnt too hard to get started but so much things that make a model good to great. when i first started modeling i did the same thing fats did. its a great place to start. one thing i wish i had done before i even installed blender was look up the concept of polygonal modeling( what we are doing on creating game models ) , what makes a model great and not just good and went from there. i highly suggest you get familiar with whatever 3d package you had decided to go with by doing practices and such. THe major software i use is Photoshop,Blender,XNormal with these 3 programs i can create decent models ( i would like to think  :-[ :-[ )

Here are some major things i suggest you look into along with links that are great to read

*Poly Flow ( Edge Flow )
*General Next-Gen assest workflow - http://www.cgmasters.net/free-tutorials/what-to-know-when-creating-next-gen-assets/
*Smoothing Groups & Normal Map - http://blog.digitaltutors.com/tips-creating-perfect-normal-maps-every-time/

Hopes this helps some people out :).. plus you can always just message me with questions ;)

GDUBMX

Thanks alot guys, really appreciate it. Gonna make a start tonight and I've decided to do attempt the 2017 ktm sx250. Haha I'm probably in way to deep but I'll give it a go.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Just as a tip, the reason I started on an older bike is they seem much simpler geometry wise. Take an old KX or an old YZ and they're so simple in design although there is a lack of reference images.

Maybe something like this would be a good place to start?

GDUBMX

I did think that to be honest,  I didn't want to start another old 2 stroke nor did I want to do a 16 4 stroke. But maybe I could give the old 2006 2007 kx 250 a go as I think that was the last 250s kawi made.  Thanks fats

GDUBMX

OK things are moving slowly, mainly cus I'm on night shift and I've been making a gtx online TV overlay for points standings,race results etc.

Now that's another project out the way, I've watched some very basic videos on blender and have some more to go and will hopefully get going tonight.

So far the 07 kx250 looks like this.

Really appreciate the help so far from damo and fats,its invaluable.

Will update when I have something to show

GDUBMX

June 17, 2016, 11:53:43 PM #7 Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 12:22:05 AM by gdubmx
Just a quick update on the bike. Not far off now..
Tires are done, fenders done. just need engine and seat then we are good to go!

Jokes aside haha, ive been learning and messing around getting comfortable with the program. :D

BadStar

Don't forget about the middle ground.. older 4 stroke, like 425 ;)

btw, i like the year models without the aluminum frame.. reminds me of all the bikes growing up (for the most part)
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

GDUBMX

Geo, i have no idea what you just said lol. tbh i was just messing with the tools and didnt realise that the frame isnt even 3d, i have to learn alot more before i start properly. other wise this is what it looks like haha

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Messing around really is the best way to learn! Good start!

What geo means is too many edges, sections. Every square you make will be counted as two tri's (triangles) and the more you have the bigger your file size. This normally means the model will be higher quality, but the aim of the game here is to make the model efficient so make it look as good as possible while being minimal in design / squares / tri's.

Best way to go about this is looking at others models, take damo's screenshots for example, they look great and are very efficiently modelled. Geos are probably a bad example as he is going for highest quality and to he'll with the file size ;D

I learnt a huge amount from just looking at paco's kx 500 shroud he posted a picture of from blender. Really gives you an insight about how to work for the newcomer.