• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:32:01 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Guitars anyone?

Started by Mace-x, December 24, 2015, 03:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asdrael

"feel" is the term people use to make the distinction between robotic playing and actually playing with your heart. It's rather easy to become a good guitar player, it's rather hard getting to a stage where you can say you are playing music on a guitar. Don't worry if it's still a bit "out there" for you, you'll understand what we are talking about once you try a vibrato ;)

Hoh and 4/5mm is not that bad if it's on the low E (the lowest note, so the string at the top when you look down on the guitar in playing position). At least for a folk guitar like yours. I only play electric guitars, and I set my low E to 2mm max, high E at 1mm.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

Ruubs

Quote from: Asdrael on November 13, 2016, 10:42:02 PM
"feel" is the term people use to make the distinction between robotic playing and actually playing with your heart. It's rather easy to become a good guitar player, it's rather hard getting to a stage where you can say you are playing music on a guitar. Don't worry if it's still a bit "out there" for you, you'll understand what we are talking about once you try a vibrato ;)

Hoh and 4/5mm is not that bad if it's on the low E (the lowest note, so the string at the top when you look down on the guitar in playing position). At least for a folk guitar like yours. I only play electric guitars, and I set my low E to 2mm max, high E at 1mm.

A vibrato is a guitar playing technique, isn't it?

So 4/5mm isn't bad for an acoustic guitar? The high E string is around 3/4mm. Should I still get it set up?

Asdrael

Yes. It's when you hold a note and move the string around with your fretting finger at the same time.

For the set-up, it's a bit high. I would bring it to a tech and ask for his opinion. It will cost you around 50€, including a pack of strings usually. Do it once, and you shouldn't have to do it again anytime soon. Well worth the money imo.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

Ruubs

Quote from: Asdrael on November 13, 2016, 11:18:53 PM
Yes. It's when you hold a note and move the string around with your fretting finger at the same time.

For the set-up, it's a bit high. I would bring it to a tech and ask for his opinion. It will cost you around 50€, including a pack of strings usually. Do it once, and you shouldn't have to do it again anytime soon. Well worth the money imo.
Alright! I'll go to a guitar shop soon.

About the strings. I've seen people choosing some strings over others, but what's the difference?

Asdrael

Quote from: Sandbiter on November 13, 2016, 11:20:45 PMAbout the strings. I've seen people choosing some strings over others, but what's the difference?

Brands: matter of taste (mostly).
Gauge: impacts how tight the strings have to be to be in tune. The higher the gauge, the higher the string tension for the same pitch. Changing gauge can require a re-setup. 11-50 or 11-52 are the usual ones for steel string acoustic guitars.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

Ruubs

Quote from: Asdrael on November 14, 2016, 12:21:26 AM
Quote from: Sandbiter on November 13, 2016, 11:20:45 PMAbout the strings. I've seen people choosing some strings over others, but what's the difference?

Brands: matter of taste (mostly).
Gauge: impacts how tight the strings have to be to be in tune. The higher the gauge, the higher the string tension for the same pitch. Changing gauge can require a re-setup. 11-50 or 11-52 are the usual ones for steel string acoustic guitars.
Alright thanks! :)

BadStar

November 14, 2016, 05:37:38 PM #36 Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 05:52:05 PM by BadStar
Sand.. the good news here is that most of us self taught had raging quit moments.. I bought and sold a guitar about 4 times before I finally stuck with it and it paid off!

Just keep trying diff approaches to learning if you are getting frustrated with one. You will win this, I can tell by your skill at track design!

Edit:
I know there are many different styles of teachers..but I still want to say this

Don't feel like you have to do a 5 finger chord perfect from the get go.. nothing at all wrong with power chords or using 3 finger variants while you learn muscle memory and to simply play with a beat/metronome.

My point is, even a single note rhythm IS MUSIC... and it teaches you more either way.

Fav quote

"Guitar's are the easiest to learn and the hardest to master"       

The reason this quote stood out to me is the idea that a guitar is played by an individual and they are not designed to be played the same.. so the more you do it your own way, the faster you may learn and become something unique. Learning to play was relatively easy when I look back at it, but man.. I'll never be Mathew Bellamy from Muse!
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

Ruubs

Haha thanks BadStar! :) I'll keep trying for sure!

Ruubs

Some recorded audio from yesterday. Started with the 8 beat strumming today.
https://clyp.it/1ga3yvji
https://clyp.it/n02pnzmr
https://clyp.it/51pv0pfl

Is it okay to go to the next step? AKA the 8 beat strumming or should I keep practicing this 4 beat strumming until I get it right without any mistakes?

Asdrael

You are making very classical beginner mistakes, but it's good you are posting this.

- First clip:
The chords sound good (thanks for tunning up ;) ). You have two small issues that I think have to do with each other: you are not relaxed and still forcing it. This will come with time.
You can hear that on the 4th beat, as you are going to change hand position, you "pluck" a string giving an out of tune note. This usually comes from pulling your finger too brutally off the string, and given the sound, most likely a bit sideways. When changing chord, relax, get your finger off vertically and a bit slower. And since you stress out and try to go too fast for your current speed level, you lose track of the beat and speed up the transition (you strum on the click the first 4, then a bit before, then clearly before. Listen again).

- Second clip:
More on time, less plucking of a high string when changing chord, but you can hear on the first strum a bit of string muting because you are not perfectly in place and you adjust your fingers for the second strum. It's the inverse problem of the first clip. Bottom line: you are playing a bit too fast for your current skill level. Drop it down 5bpm.

- Third clip:
Overall the best one, but you can hear a mix of the problems of the first two clips. Don't sweat it tho, it's already pretty good and you are good to go to move on to your next step.

From what I could hear, you are at the stage where you start to get it. Just need to practice a tad more your hand synchronization, and never turn off the metronome. You are set to try out more difficult strumming patterns. Good job there!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

Ruubs

Quote from: Asdrael on November 14, 2016, 10:05:29 PM
You are making very classical beginner mistakes, but it's good you are posting this.

- First clip:
The chords sound good (thanks for tunning up ;) ). You have two small issues that I think have to do with each other: you are not relaxed and still forcing it. This will come with time.
You can hear that on the 4th beat, as you are going to change hand position, you "pluck" a string giving an out of tune note. This usually comes from pulling your finger too brutally off the string, and given the sound, most likely a bit sideways. When changing chord, relax, get your finger off vertically and a bit slower. And since you stress out and try to go too fast for your current speed level, you lose track of the beat and speed up the transition (you strum on the click the first 4, then a bit before, then clearly before. Listen again).

- Second clip:
More on time, less plucking of a high string when changing chord, but you can hear on the first strum a bit of string muting because you are not perfectly in place and you adjust your fingers for the second strum. It's the inverse problem of the first clip. Bottom line: you are playing a bit too fast for your current skill level. Drop it down 5bpm.

- Third clip:
Overall the best one, but you can hear a mix of the problems of the first two clips. Don't sweat it tho, it's already pretty good and you are good to go to move on to your next step.

From what I could hear, you are at the stage where you start to get it. Just need to practice a tad more your hand synchronization, and never turn off the metronome. You are set to try out more difficult strumming patterns. Good job there!

Thanks a lot once again Asdrael! This is really helpful.
I already knew about going faster and faster each bar, and about not getting my fingers good off the strings. I had no idea how to get them off the strings the right way tho, and I just wanted to learn better chord changes so I didn't give much attention to this problem. I'll pay more attention tomorrow.

I'll try to slow down my strumming. I have to admit that I can't keep up most of the time! haha

Thanks! I really like playing my guitar so far. Sometimes I rage, but overall it's pretty fun. Seeing and hearing progress is really cool.

By the way, I have the most trouble with my G chord. I'm doing the alternative G chord Andy Guitar thaught me on youtube. Most of the time my fingers aren't far enough to the fret, they're more in the middle. This makes me have to press the strings a lot harder and make my fingers hurt. I just can't seem to get it right yet..

I know, awesome pillow! Just don't know who the rider is.. Any ideas? Chevy trucks rider, looks like number 103 on a Yamaha. I know it's a real rider and not a drawing since I have a poster which is exactly the same.

Asdrael

November 14, 2016, 10:49:59 PM #41 Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:51:32 PM by Asdrael
The alternative? You mean the one with the ring finger 3rd fret on the B string? It works, you just substutite the major 3rd for a fifth. No biggie.

Your finger position is good though. The index is close to where it is supposed to be, the rest could be at least 5mm closer to the fret but it's a good start! The reason is that you will have to push less, so it's 1. less time spent getting in place and moving out and 2. you won't sharpen the note by pushing too hard on the string.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

Ruubs

This alternative G chord:

Normally you don't use your ring finger and just use your pinky on the first string.

Alright thanks! I'll try to move them over a little bit.

Ruubs

November 16, 2016, 09:40:36 PM #43 Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:50:45 PM by Sandbiter
Quote from: Asdrael on November 14, 2016, 10:05:29 PM
You can hear that on the 4th beat, as you are going to change hand position, you "pluck" a string giving an out of tune note. This usually comes from pulling your finger too brutally off the string, and given the sound, most likely a bit sideways. When changing chord, relax, get your finger off vertically and a bit slower.
I've known this problem for months already.. Yet I can't figure out why my strings keep making sound when I pull my fingers off. Even when going very slowly, straight and relaxed they ring out. I have sticky fingers and I can't do anything about it. The strings just ring out once I pull my fingers off.

Makes me mad.

F*ck this. I'll throw my guitar into a wall.

Ruubs

My guitar is still alive.
Just had my 25/30 minute practice session of today. Went really well! I had fun again haha

8 beat strumming is going well! In a couple of days time I'll be able to record some stuff again and let you guys hear it! Maybe even tomorrow!

I'm still having problems with the ringing strings when I pull my fingers off.
I also have trouble changing from the A to the G chord.
And when I change to my A chord the highest E string never rings out because I touch it slightly. I've got to pay more attention to that! :)