• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:56 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

SX starter guide

Started by Asdrael, September 10, 2016, 07:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asdrael

No worries.

I see a lot of people trying out the CRF, maybe overlooking the YZF. If it's because of the hotlaps videos or something else, I don't know - but the YZF is definitely more friendly and forgiving to use. And if it's any indication, my CRF hotlaps on SXNorth on the JS7C are barely any faster than the YZF ones at the cost of a lot of effort (talking 0.3s on a 1min lap). And on the AMA tracks, I am faster with the YZF than with the CRF.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

loinen

thank you very much for the guide! as soon as i'm mostly asphalt racer and new to dirt bikes, motocross seems hard to me but SX is just impossible :) hopefully I'll get better with your advices.

Asdrael

Quick update:

For b5, my controller settings haven't changed except that I have 70% linearity on the front brake. Regarding the bike setup, I have to redo them as the suspension physics changed a bit.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

GDUBMX

Man this is so useful, just started learning SX again.. thanks As
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

Asdrael

B5 update coming out later today. Will have updated settings, braking and whoops section due to physics update.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

GDUBMX

Nice one mate, look forward to it :) Just played Anaheim 1 again, although im crap it is so fun! :D cheers mate

Asdrael

OP updated for Beta5: Changes in bold.
TLDR: Suspension work better making SX behaviour more predictable, in particular rythm sections. Slightly better traction helps making big jumps. Slightly lighter front ends requires more tact to brake hard, and a better front end control in woops and on full throtle take off. Overall, SX difficulty went down slightly as it is easier to hit big rythms and be consistent, but harder to push it hard on hotlaps due to whoops and braking requirements. Difficulty order of my tracks: JS7 SX South < SX2016 Rd2 < SX2016 Rd1 < SX 2016 Rd3 < JS7 SXNorth. Expect lap times to be slightly slower than in Beta 4 (around 1s for a 1min lap).

Regarding the bike setups, those given for b4 still work. The MSN got better though so I'd recomend starting out on that.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

GDUBMX

OK thanks Asdrael, awesome post. A question though.
When is says 100l 30 40s 100l
Does that mean 100% linearity 30 press and 40 release?  Not too sure, as they are the settings in game.

Could you please elaborate on exactly where those values go.  Thanks mate again great job

Asdrael

Quote from: gdubmx on January 05, 2017, 06:14:04 PM
OK thanks Asdrael, awesome post. A question though.
When is says 100l 30 40s 100l
Does that mean 100% linearity 30 press and 40 release?  Not too sure, as they are the settings in game.

Could you please elaborate on exactly where those values go.  Thanks mate again great job
Yes. Linearity 100%, Smooth 30% press 40% release, 100% gain. It's the order they appear in the settings (I think).
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

GDUBMX

Awesome thanks mate,  I thought that was it.

Asdrael

Added some suspension setup tips in OP for Beta5.

Suspension setup tips
Start off by reading the Suspensions Tutorial by StoneRider. This will help you achieve a base setup that you will need to tweak for SX. I usually proceed with those steps once I have around recommended sag values:

• Fill up the oil in the fork to 130.
    • Get the rear a bit soft with slow rebound (lower bump / higher rebound values). This helps traction and whoops control.
    • Get the front a bit harder to move (higher bump and rebound) but decrease it's preload bit a few clicks.
    • Ride a lot and see how it behaves.[/b]

A few pointers:
    - bottoming out the rear shock throws you sideways in the air.
    - bottoming out the front throws you nose high uncontrollably when jumping hard.
    - whoops is a matter of a softer rear with a stiffer front.
    - jumping slightly nose high constantly can be lessened by going down one spring rate (fixing your preload afterwards of course).
    - it's not too bad bottoming out the rear on jumps slightly as long as you retain traction and whoops stability. Bottoming the front is a no no.

OEM bikes pack
    MXBikes Discord

Asdrael

Since there is a bit of SX activity, a quick setup guide for SX especially. This is for OEM 250f bikes, if you try to learn on a 450, too bad ;)

Gearing:
    Add 1 to 2 teeth at the rear sprocket.

Engine Map:
    Up to you, stock is good enough.

Tyres:
    Hard rear, Mid Hard front. If your rear washes out too easily, potentially put Mid Hard. If your front washes out too easily in turns, Mid Front. If your front washes out when braking, go for 20mm leverage on the front brake. I tend to run 0.8 of pressure front and rear.

Front Suspension:
    Find a spring and preload combination that gives you ~30-35 dry sag, and +30 rider sag (so if 32 dry sag, around 62 rider sag). Springs between 4.6 and 5.0 Nmm should give you that.
    ~13 Bump
    ~10 Rebound
    ~125 to 130 oil.

Rear Suspension:
    Find a spring and preload combination that gives you ~40 dry sag and +65 rider sag (so 40-105 for example). Springs between 46 and 50Nmm are usually sufficient.
    ~9 Bump
    ~14 Rebound

Fork Offset, SwingArm Length:
    Bit of a matter of taste and varies with the bike. I'd recommend not touching at first. If you want to touch it because the front / rear feels unstable, let me forward you to this guide: http://forum.mx-bikes.com/index.php?topic=1644.0

I think that's it! Normally when I do that blindly (take a bike, set it up like this and go) I can immediately run laps using the fast lines without any issues.
    OEM bikes pack
    MXBikes Discord