• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:33:12 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Blender: "Dropping" objects onto the heightmap

Started by Asdrael, March 05, 2017, 09:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asdrael

Hey,

any blender pro to explain to me how to easily lay object onto a heightmap?

I know already how to import and scale properly a heightmap so it becomes a proper 3D object I can use as a reference to place objects. But I'm NOT tuning X,Y, Z and rotation for every toughblock... Any idea? I'd use sketchup but my trial version ran out and I would like to use more things from blender.

This ain't gonna toughblock itself :(
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

𝖙𝖋𝖈

If it was me this is what I'd do. I know it might sound long winded but blender has a very different workflow to SU.

I would make a Bezier curve, then from above in orthographic view I would extrude and twist it until it ran around one edge of the track. Then I would use the shrinkwrap modifier to project it on to tracks surface.

Then I would add an array modifier on to the bale, using the Bezier as the target to repeat the bales along the curve. The good thing about doing this is the bales will be placed with all rises, dips and curves in the Bezier accounted for.

If you want to do it like this, you will probably want to look at tutorials for these steps individually ;)

Ruubs

D*mnit Asdrael. I started A1 quite a while ago as well. You've got way more already though haha!

Unfortunately I can't help you in Blender though. I'm a 3DS Max guy. ;D

Asdrael

March 05, 2017, 10:27:18 PM #3 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:33:47 PM by Asdrael
I'll have a look at Blender tutorials then TFC, thanks. If nothing works, I'll just go through SU again. It's a bit of a pain but not that bad.

And Sandy, it just took me the better part of the day. I wanted to see how fast I could build a "ready for release" heightmap + texture just using my kit. I had to get back into it and this round has some wierd as section (plus the trackmap was made by the track crew with a scaling mistake, what the hell) so it took longer than I thought - I recon I can finish a heightmap in half a day now. It rides well enough as it si, I'm not 100% happy with the on off on off section but it's more than good enough to ship. Each section has 2 to 3 options, so it's fine as is. ~1.1:1 scale. Actually I think it's better to build it this way than sweating everything to the mm - sections will be figured out, if it rides well, who cares if the rythms are not 100% as IRL. For starters tho, I'd recommend finding a layout you like without any wierd shit like walls, double tables, etc and if possible not a football stadium so you only have 180 and 90° turns. Salt Lake City this year looks straightforward.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

Asdrael

Turns out abusing the snap tool will be sufficient. Alt-D galore.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord