• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:10:46 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

High Point 2017 - WIP

Started by philiaN, October 31, 2017, 06:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asdrael

I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight, but generic question: given that you are using an already bumpy terrain, how are you planning on doing the deformation? Just using a single homegeneous thickness everywhere (and let base roughness increase with time), or use Sandy's technique of a rougher deformation layer that will pile up?
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

Ruubs

It'd suggest putting in a couple of small braking bumps already + using my technique. I feel that that'll give me most realistic and fun results deformation wise.

philiaN

I want less deformation in corners, so they will be soil and then i will try compact soil on a lot of sections (not on the jump-ramps)

Asdrael

November 02, 2017, 12:10:19 PM #33 Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:16:09 PM by Asdrael
Quote from: philiaN on November 02, 2017, 11:52:54 AM
I want less deformation in corners, so they will be soil and then i will try compact soil on a lot of sections (not on the jump-ramps)
You got it wrong.

Deformation order:
Sand > Soft Soil > Soil > Compact Soil.

But since it also affects grip, I would suggest using only one type of terrain on a track like Highpoint and play with mask opacity for deformation speed and thickness (Sandy's technique). You can make turns "thinner" than breaking areas.

Changing terrain type will mess with traction, and sometimes give wierd deformation issues (the ruts "stops" at the end of a terrain type for example).

Quote from: Sandbiter on November 02, 2017, 11:51:48 AM
It'd suggest putting in a couple of small braking bumps already + using my technique. I feel that that'll give me most realistic and fun results deformation wise.
If the base terrain already has some roughness, regular deformation work reasonably well. It will dig harder when the constraints get higher - on the face of the bumps for example. Giving in the end similar results to making braking bumps with your technique, it's just that they will always somehow be there and you don't havea perfectly flat terrain when the track is fresh.

In theory you could combine the two techniques for some radical deformation, using the negative of the heightmap (minus the base hill) as deformation mask (hinthint).
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

Ruubs

Thats totally true, however I feel like 'my technique' isn't great at making its own braking bumps. At least on Southwick it didn't deform as I thought it would, maybe it is better on normal soil tracks though.

Adding some minor braking bumps on the terrain will make the bike bounce around just a tiny bit already, which'll help make braking bumps larger. I don't think the bike bounces around when the terrain is flat, thus resulting in no braking bumps what so ever.

Sure, adding braking bumps into a deformation layer might work out, but that might also cause very sharp edges between the two thicknesses of layers.

philiaN

beta 04 uploaded

cant find anything i want to change anymore :D maybe the deformation, but the rest is super fun (for me)

Asdrael

Does that mean objects are in already? :D
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

philiaN

Like on Spring Creek i wont do objects :D I have to wait for tracked update with stock objects + assest thread :)

Asdrael

If you want a head-start with objects, I do have a pretty neat looking starting gate, and I have the Monster finish jump frame from Bobby. More supercross-style but pretty usable.

Don't use TrackEd for objects though... Blender is awesome for that once you get the hang of it. You can "deposit" objects onto a surface (tuff blocks etc) pretty well, randomize copies of groups (trees), check for collidable stuff, etc. You just need like 1 or 2h figuring it out, then it's seamless.

I don't know how open you are to it Sandy and TFC, but if we could get your yellow track side sticks / spongebobs it would already be ace.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

philiaN

TFC will upload his objects in the near future :) And with the new terrained we will get the stock objects by piboso/snappe (no release date)

philiaN

anyway next track :D what should i do?

joao santos 17

Mxgp of Portugal Águeda please

Asdrael

I'd say we need more MXGP tracks. Just not of the shit flat kind we have seen lately (Assen, the MXGP US tracks,  Qatar, etc).

I really like Trentino (just make this one with a huge surrounding,the mountains there kick ass), Teutschental, Saint Jean d'Angely personnaly.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

philiaN

this is trentino in sketchup :/ Dont know, i was more planning to do the ama tracks first :)

Twitch135

Loket would be cool also  :) I also like the tracks Asdrael mentioned.
<br />Donations are greatly appreciated http://paypal.me/TWITCH135