• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:19:16 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

How much does ama SX really pay?

Started by MX181, April 17, 2014, 03:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MX181

April 17, 2014, 03:10:04 AM Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:18:26 AM by MX181
http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/YOU-ASKED-FOR-IT-HOW-MUCH-DOES-SUPERCROSS-REALLY-P-11217.aspx

BANG!!!!!

Check it out, definetly a good read. Found this very ineteresting.
discuss you feelings below children ;)

Live by the YOLO - UID #2

uollie

Definitely interesting read. I just read a RacerX article with Weston Peick talking about his move to RCH. They talked money and he basically just made it sound like he was only making enough to pay for racing expenses and maybe slightly live on the comfortable side. That's not factoring in if something freakish happened like stolen trailer w/ bikes inside.

I'm good friends with one of the top 10 AMA 250 East riders and I know he's not hurting with the smaller purses.

I think it boils down to sponsors. Making good results happen will just get you to the next level to start REALLY making the big bucks.

onlyonetone

I manage a store and they still make crap load more than me. Time to change professions.

DD

It doesn't pay enough, I can tell you that.

Those numbers are nice and all, but go ahead and spend the money it takes to get to that level, have a competitive bike, and then add travel and entry/race fees, then tell me how good the payouts are.

"If you finished dead last in every 450 Main event, you would earned 36 grand — plus almost $9000 more in bonus money"

This quote is pretty funny because if you were to get dead last in every 450 main event, you have close to, if not more, than 45 grand into it.

Motocross Action is a joke of a magazine.

MX181

Quote from: DD on April 22, 2014, 08:06:57 AM

Those numbers are nice and all, but go ahead and spend the money it takes to get to that level, have a competitive bike, and then add travel and entry/race fees, then tell me how good the payouts are.

"If you finished dead last in every 450 Main event, you would earned 36 grand — plus almost $9000 more in bonus money"

This quote is pretty funny because if you were to get dead last in every 450 main event, you have close to, if not more, than 45 grand into it.

you got strong points, but we were never talking about how much it would cost them to travel across the country and fix bikes this is just payouts.

onlyonetone

Most entry fees and bikes are comped by sponsors. If they have them. So they still make a lot. Granted getting to the point they are now, they probably spent a lot.

DD

Quote from: MX181 on April 22, 2014, 09:05:44 AM
Quote from: DD on April 22, 2014, 08:06:57 AM

you got strong points, but we were never talking about how much it would cost them to travel across the country and fix bikes this is just payouts.

I can tell you 90% of them out there aren't putting that money in the bank. At least not for every long!  ;) ;D

DD

Quote from: onlyonetone on April 22, 2014, 12:04:49 PM
Most entry fees and bikes are comped by sponsors. If they have them. So they still make a lot. Granted getting to the point they are now, they probably spent a lot.
The majority don't have sponsors that will pay for entire bikes or entry fees. The ones that do are already making money on top of that. Some might be lucky enough to get a free bike but they usually cant collect contingency on it and you still have to buy a practice bike. Not to mention suspension which will be $1,000 to $15,000 depending on how competitive you can afford to make your bike. Stock wheels won't make it through many Supercross laps before becoming spaghetti. That's another grand or so for after market wheels that hold up. I could go on and on... haha

DD

So basically the payout looks great on paper, but in reality, it can be better. It will get better with time, nobody is trying to rip off the racers. But it is very easy to forget the main reason anybody should be out there is to have fun. Money comes second to fun in my book (or at least it should be!).

onlyonetone

Quote from: DD on April 23, 2014, 05:47:12 AM
So basically the payout looks great on paper, but in reality, it can be better. It will get better with time, nobody is trying to rip off the racers. But it is very easy to forget the main reason anybody should be out there is to have fun. Money comes second to fun in my book (or at least it should be!).

Fun first always.

MX181

Quote from: DD on April 23, 2014, 05:47:12 AM

STAHPPP!!!!!!!!!!

no need to be such a realist and just look at the fact if they got last every moto the would make x amount of money in theory with no exspense

onlyonetone

If I made 5 dollars in profit each race I'd still be hyped just to be racing.

MX181

Quote from: onlyonetone on April 23, 2014, 06:55:58 AM

DD

Quote from: MX181 on April 23, 2014, 07:58:23 AM

[]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhszy0xP4Y1qdl3gj.png[/img]
Exactly!

Sorry, just hits a little close to home. Couldn't help but be realistic haha.

Outdoors is about the same but not quite as much and it's payout per moto.

onlyonetone

Quote from: DD on April 23, 2014, 03:07:59 PM
Quote from: MX181 on April 23, 2014, 07:58:23 AM

[]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhszy0xP4Y1qdl3gj.png[/img]
Exactly!

Sorry, just hits a little close to home. Couldn't help but be realistic haha.

Outdoors is about the same but not quite as much and it's payout per moto.

I use to skate semi professionally back in the day. I barely made any money just occasional free shit from the sponsor and if I won a contest. I didn't even care if I was losing or winning. I was just glad to be skating and traveling.