• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:07:19 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Track editing questions/help

Started by Ruubs, April 24, 2014, 01:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: Snappe on November 07, 2017, 09:27:56 PM
That sure is strange... It should look the same ingame as in mapview. There is a bug where the normal map disappears when re-loading tracks without quitting mxb, but I guess that's not your problem. It might be related perhaps? What size is you normal map?

It's 8k, but it happens with 4k too.. :(

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Any further thoughts on this one?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

OK further testing..

8k doesn't work. I tried changing it from a normal map to a 1 x repeated texture tile and 8k showed up black. 4k works, but I'm not sure how it will look in game as can't test right now..

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I think it's a problem with the track.. Re-doing textures right now and am finding I can't get any normal map to show up properly.

Any ideas what might cause this?

Ruubs

Quote from: тғc on November 10, 2017, 10:29:25 PM
Any ideas what might cause this?

Just a guess.. But...

Lack of skill? 8)

Got em <3

Ruubs

On a serious note. Are you sure you don't miss any closing brackets ( } )? Maybe even in an SHD file.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Ok as is normally the way (and part of the enjoyment of modding) I figured it out.

8k works just fine, and hopefully won't cause any problems online but if it does I'll release an online version.

I had tried turning up MXB's texture graphics settings before with no luck. This time I made the normal map 4x as strong and turned up texture settings and it worked fine.

So, anyone running max textures will see the normal. Anyone running lower textures will be spared the big 8k normal and instead have to live with the old tiled norms.

Still not sure why it works like this but here it is just in case this info is useful.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quick question on reflection maps..

Is it possible to have an object that reflects the active environment rather than an env map? I.e, water that reflects the land around it and the sky colour, which would match the different weathers.

Snappe

Quote from: тғc on November 11, 2017, 04:55:33 PM
I had tried turning up MXB's texture graphics settings before with no luck. This time I made the normal map 4x as strong and turned up texture settings and it worked fine.

So your normal map just wasn't strong enough? How come it was showing in mapview?

Quote from: тғc on November 12, 2017, 09:20:06 AM
Is it possible to have an object that reflects the active environment rather than an env map? I.e, water that reflects the land around it and the sky colour, which would match the different weathers.

Not currently I'm afraid...

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Ok thanks for the replies..

Don't know on the normal map, it's definitely not right that it should shown in MapView just fine but not in game.

Alex

gday i am trying to figure out how objects are put on track, i have gone through this topic and have had a dig around but i cant seem to find anything about it. the only one i have seen is a gpbikes tutorial but its doing it with tracked but i have read most of you use blender.
is there any tutorials that i am missing?

Asdrael

Use Blender.

Import your heightmap CORRECTLY (scaling) in blender. You might need to add a 0 and a 100% opacity reference in your heightmap to make sure the vertical scaling is correctly taken into account. Look up on YouTube for tutorials on that but it is really easy. Position it so one corner is 0,0,0 and every other coordinate is positive.

Put the objects on the heightmap.

Remove the heightmap mesh, save and export the rest.

Put your object file(s) in the hmf and tht file. Compile. Done.

Hints: you can have several object files, which can help with testing stuff fast. And object names dictate their material.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Or, load your heightmap into L3DT (free), set horizontal scaling to 1, resize to your HMF size vertically and horizontally then export optimised mesh. You can tweak it to give you better detail by lowering the error in the export window, OBJ allows the lowest error.

Then import into blender and go.

Alex

sorry i should have said how to export** but thanks for info. i just have a displacement setup in blender.
but can someone please do a run down of how to export objects with textures and how to have folders setup. cant find any info on it at all and been stuck on it for few days. thanks