• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:27:37 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Protip: "Linearity" in controller setup.

Started by Asdrael, November 27, 2017, 11:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asdrael

Quite a few people have been complaining lately about the front brake being too brutal and the throttle response (of 450s in particular) being too unforgiving, causing front end wash-out, spinning or looping out from the rear.

To what I reply: "lol noobs".

More seriously, I think most people overlook their controller setup, in particular the "linearity" setting of their analog input. This controls how your controller input (CI) is translated into in game input (GI). Let me explain the linearity setting (when gain is at 100%):

What you always have:

• CI of 0 = GI of 0 (no controller input = no game input)
  • CI of 1 = GI of 1 (max press on the controller = maximum game input. This is affected by the gain setting: with a gain of 75%, a CI of 1 = GI of 0.75...)
What linearity affects: everything in between.
  • A linearity of one will reproduce the CI directly to the GI with no modification. CI of 0.5 = GI of 0.5. Blue curve in the graph.
  • A high linearity value will put more strength in the first part of the controller input. For example, with a linearity of 150%, a CI of 0.5 = a GI of 0.75 (more or less). As a result, the end of the controller input range will have less effect. Green curve in the graph.
  • A low linearity value will lower the impact of the early movement range of the controller on game input. A linearity of 75% for example will give, for a CI of 0.5, a GI of 0.35 (or something). Red curve in the graph.

Now what does that mean in game? Easy. With a low linearity, you'll be able to feather more accurately the early response, at the cost of having a harder time being precise when going hard on the control. A high linearity does the opposite. I currently use around 75% both on front brake and throttle.

Is it cheating? Nop. I'd even argue it's more realistic. The controller range is rather small and provides close to zero feedback.

For braking, you normally would gauge the braking power by the number of fingers you are using + the resistance you are feeling. The controller doesn't provide that. By having a low linearity, I simulate the low resistance first part of the lever range. I don't mind losing accuracy in the end of the range, as hard braking is normally done without any lean angle – and in that case it's not semi-hard braking, it's hard braking. But now I can control better how I ease on the brake going in the corner, with more accuracy and response than when simply using the "smoothing" parameter.

For throttle, it's the same reasoning. When you are griping a throttle, the range of movement is rather large – much more than a controller trigger. Doing a full 0 to 100% throttle on a bike is quite a movement for your wrist, you wouldn't normally do it – at least not at the speed you can do it with a controller. As with braking, you usually need to be careful with the throttle in its early movement range (say 0-50%, when exiting turns or when its slippery) and when you go hard, you don't go 80% hard. You go 100%.

In the end, it solves a lot of issues that I think come from the lack of feedback and small movement range a controller has compared to IRL actions. Try it, you'll be surprised... (Disclaimer: it won't solve shitty setups and hammering controls :p ).
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

philiaN

GDUBMX

Thanks alot for this Asdrael, these settings have helped me out massively!! i will include this in my next controller setup mate. thank you again, have a good weekend!
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

Wedgewood

I may be the oddball but I find the controls much better with linearity 100%.  It allows you to use muscle memory a little better as you can properly judge how much more input will be needed.  It's not easy to judge how much will be given if the first 25% throw gives 10% braking power and the next 25% gives and additional 20% or 30% ( I know these numbers aren't accurate but it's just for representation purposes).  As you increase a control you are adding a multiplier to it which our brains can't accurately learn and predict as it is not linear. 

Adding different linearity settings is just a bandaid masking poor controller inputs, it might seem a bit easier at first but will hinder you in the long run with unpredictable inputs.

Too much throttle and brake problems should be remedied by learning to be more precise and altering the bike setup to suit.

Mopslapper 124

While I see your train of thought I have to disagree, We tune Engines with Throttle curves and you handle that quite well. however I'm going to try your 100% a bit and see the results. you may be on to something by having a Curve present in the Physics Example The Throttle Curve. But than you overlay another Non Linear Curve into that one in the Controller and you wind up with a Double pendulum scenario? I Think?

jkabee

This is good info. I speculated that the linearity setting had something to do with this, but hadn't really changed anything as of yet. Now I'm gonna try the 75% setting to see if it reduces my throttle and braking issues. No matter how delicate I try to be, its tough to gauge what is "enough" vs too much... until I hit the ground of course.
Currently learning how to mod so that I can add value.