• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:05:17 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Track editing questions/help

Started by Ruubs, April 24, 2014, 01:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiBoSo

Quote from: bearded4glory on April 25, 2014, 06:42:46 PM
Quote from: PiBoSo on April 25, 2014, 01:58:27 PM
Quote from: bearded4glory on April 25, 2014, 12:31:05 AM
I am trying to get shaders setup on some objects just to figure out how to do it.  I have setup a test.shd for test.tga and test_norm.tga with the following:
bump
{
map = test_norm.tga
}

specular
{
shininess = 10

Cant seem to get it working.  All the textures are coming from the same directory (the track folder) and are setup just like my ground shaders that are working.  Anyone know where I am going wrong?

The closing bracket is missing.

I noticed that when I reread my post, haven't had a chance to check to see if it is actually that way or if I just messed up when I copied it to paste here.  Hopefully that is it.  Thanks for the reply.

ETA:Yea, I just checked and the bracket is correct in the actual file but I do not get any norm/spec on the object when it comes into the mapviewer.  I was missing the params.ini causing me to have no shadows (thought that might be the problem as well) but I fixed that and added a new object with norm and SHD and still cant get it working.  What am I missing?

Is "test_norm.tga" power of 2 and 24 or 32 bits?

Ruubs

Quote from: MotoX745 on April 25, 2014, 10:06:49 PM
i found my objects but they are off the map. its confusing me because i set it up how sandbiter explained
also the pivot point is at the bottom left of the plane.
Do you mind showing me your .hmf file, I want to see the scale of everything, then I can help you out better I guess.

MotoX745

Snappe

Quote from: MotoX745 on April 25, 2014, 10:06:49 PM
i found my objects but they are off the map.

Wow that's weird. You are saving the objects as environment.edf right? Not background.edf?
If that's not it then it might be a scale problem?

Ruubs

Your track size is 280x280. That means that you have to put 280 as the lenght and width in 3ds max aswell (when using Meter units), if you use Cm units then you should make the terrain in 3ds max 28 000 lenght and width.
Not 100% sure because I can't check what I have, but I guess that's about the same as what I use.

MotoX745

ok that worked sandbiter thank you :D

bearded4glory

Quote from: PiBoSo on April 25, 2014, 10:11:04 PM
Quote from: bearded4glory on April 25, 2014, 06:42:46 PM
Quote from: PiBoSo on April 25, 2014, 01:58:27 PM
Quote from: bearded4glory on April 25, 2014, 12:31:05 AM
I am trying to get shaders setup on some objects just to figure out how to do it.  I have setup a test.shd for test.tga and test_norm.tga with the following:
bump
{
map = test_norm.tga
}

specular
{
shininess = 10

Cant seem to get it working.  All the textures are coming from the same directory (the track folder) and are setup just like my ground shaders that are working.  Anyone know where I am going wrong?

The closing bracket is missing.

I noticed that when I reread my post, haven't had a chance to check to see if it is actually that way or if I just messed up when I copied it to paste here.  Hopefully that is it.  Thanks for the reply.

ETA:Yea, I just checked and the bracket is correct in the actual file but I do not get any norm/spec on the object when it comes into the mapviewer.  I was missing the params.ini causing me to have no shadows (thought that might be the problem as well) but I fixed that and added a new object with norm and SHD and still cant get it working.  What am I missing?

Is "test_norm.tga" power of 2 and 24 or 32 bits?

Yes, it is 1024x1024 and in PS I saved it out as a 32 bit tga.  I tried with a completely different object and materials with the same results.  It just doesnt make sense, the shaders are working fine for the terrain but not for any objects.  I would be happy to pass along my edf, shd, and textures and even my max file if that would help you troubleshoot the issue.

A sidenote, I also noticed that if I change my diffuse bitmap after the fbx is exported it retains whatever bitmap was exported with it.  Will we have to re-export every time we want to change a bitmap?  Just seems like it would be hard to make small tweaks to one map or another if we have to re export every time.  I realize either way we will have to redo the map.bat but one less step is good IMO.

al167

im trying to use blender to export the fbx file.
my test model doesn't show in game.  the scenery.edf file gets created, but how does the fbx to edf creator add the texture and normal map?

does the fbx file need to somehow have the textures and normal map in it when its exported from blender?
my fbx exported file from blender seems too small at as its only 65 kb for my test haybale, as my texture and normal map are 1mb each. so I assume there not included.

am I missing something really simple here?

any help would be great!

bearded4glory

The diffuse maps must be applied to the objects (sorry not using blender so IDK exactly how this works) then you need to create a .shd for each diffuse.  It has to be named the same as the diffuse and in the same directory.  Of course take this with a grain of salt because I cant get it to work but that is how it should work.

Let me know if you are able to get it working so you can tell me how to do it hahaha.

Ruubs

Quote from: bearded4glory on April 26, 2014, 06:24:07 PM
The diffuse maps must be applied to the objects (sorry not using blender so IDK exactly how this works) then you need to create a .shd for each diffuse.  It has to be named the same as the diffuse and in the same directory.  Of course take this with a grain of salt because I cant get it to work but that is how it should work.

Let me know if you are able to get it working so you can tell me how to do it hahaha.
I don't think you need to make an .shd for each diffuse map you put on an object. I apply the diffuse map in 3ds max, export the fbx, export it to edf, run map.bat and I have the diffuse map on the object. I've no idea how to make norms and specs to work on the objects though, since nothing I've tried works so far.

bearded4glory

Quote from: Sandbiter on April 26, 2014, 07:01:39 PM

I don't think you need to make an .shd for each diffuse map you put on an object. I apply the diffuse map in 3ds max, export the fbx, export it to edf, run map.bat and I have the diffuse map on the object. I've no idea how to make norms and specs to work on the objects though, since nothing I've tried works so far.

The .shd basically says for this diffuse we are using this normal map and want that glossiness...At least that is my understanding of how it is supposed to work.

Ruubs

Quote from: bearded4glory on April 26, 2014, 07:10:42 PM
Quote from: Sandbiter on April 26, 2014, 07:01:39 PM

The .shd basically says for this diffuse we are using this normal map and want that glossiness...At least that is my understanding of how it is supposed to work.
That's true, I thought you meant putting a .shd file on the object to get a diffuse map to work. The .shd file for norms doesn't work tho, atleast not for us.

Snappe/Piboso, may I know why we aren't able to make LODs for track objects, I guess you've a good reason for that since LODs are kinda a must IMO.
Also, may there is a bug in the norms for track objects, or we are doing something really wrong.

al167

from doing a bit of research, it appears the .fbx format is a container format from which all files are stored and is written in c++. from what ive read on other forums the blender fbx exporter has heaps of problems with many topics about this exact problem. and apparently it is written in python. some people are having to manually edit the lines of code in the fbx file, just to get it to work for other games engines like unity. It also seems blender wont easily allow fbx exports and has a lot of limitations like some reports saying only 1 texture. I tried all the fixes on those forums with no luck of attaching textures, so im expecting piboso/snappe to confirm its not compatible. :-[

so ive decided to jump over to 3ds(and I have really no experience with it) .
so hopefully some of you guys can help me out!!

piboso or snappe can you confirm what material functions mx bikes are compatible with?
do we apply, diffuse map, normal map, spec maps, mirror effect ect to the material in 3ds? also how do the collisions work?
also do the alphas on these images do anything?
are you guys using the direct edf exporter plugin for 3ds or the fbx to edf convertor?

maybe snappe/piboso could we have the .3ds file for the example track and texture, spec and normal files too. this would explain everything we need to know?

cheers Allan

bearded4glory

Quote from: al167 on April 27, 2014, 05:32:10 AM
from doing a bit of research, it appears the .fbx format is a container format from which all files are stored and is written in c++. from what ive read on other forums the blender fbx exporter has heaps of problems with many topics about this exact problem. and apparently it is written in python. some people are having to manually edit the lines of code in the fbx file, just to get it to work for other games engines like unity. It also seems blender wont easily allow fbx exports and has a lot of limitations like some reports saying only 1 texture. I tried all the fixes on those forums with no luck of attaching textures, so im expecting piboso/snappe to confirm its not compatible. :-[

so ive decided to jump over to 3ds(and I have really no experience with it) .
so hopefully some of you guys can help me out!!

piboso or snappe can you confirm what material functions mx bikes are compatible with?
do we apply, diffuse map, normal map, spec maps, mirror effect ect to the material in 3ds? also how do the collisions work?
also do the alphas on these images do anything?
are you guys using the direct edf exporter plugin for 3ds or the fbx to edf convertor?

maybe snappe/piboso could we have the .3ds file for the example track and texture, spec and normal files too. this would explain everything we need to know?

cheers Allan

I think you will enjoy it much more than Blender, it makes so much more sense.  The direct exporter only goes up to 2010 so I am using the FBXtoEDF converter rather than directly exporting from max.  I still cant get norm/spec to work but they are supposed to be defined in a .shd file named the same as your base texture.  The reflections can also be added through the .shd but I have yet to give that a try.

If you have any max related questions please feel free to ask.  Maybe a new thread on the topic would be helpful so that people would have somewhere to check for commonly asked stuff.

bearded4glory

Anyone get norm/spec maps to work correctly on objects yet?