• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:46:28 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Geolocation data from Google coming to an end May 22nd 2017

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, May 09, 2017, 05:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Unfortunately it looks like Geolocation terrain will no longer be available from Google SketchUp due to an acquisition by Trimble of SketchUp..  :(

I know there are other ways, but I haven't explored these myself so not sure of the process. If anyone has any plans to use this service in the future for getting basic heightmap info I'd suggest getting hold of that before the 22nd.

https://help.sketchup.com/en/geodatachange

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Yeah, checked it out and gave up when I saw the minimum 8km.. Sure there must be another way..

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Just have it a quick bash.. Selected an area that was roughly 1 mile around Unadilla and got a very small image. I've tried one like this in the past, I think they're really intended for larger scale. Shame..

Might have to just make tons of snapshots of every track I can think of in SU. The good news is if you export from SU as DAE with original model units and import into Blender, you get perfect 100% accurate scale in meters and texture included. Good foundation.

Ruubs

That's definitly sad news.

To be honest though. Southwick wasn't made with any real height data at all. I used the google maps overlay to see where the track path went and made the terrain by looking at lots of videos / screenshots. Then did some of my secret magic and got it the closest to real life as I probably could (even if I used real height data).

Might do a tutorial on how I make my base terrains. It's a fairly easy process with great results.
Not trying to brag, just want to give my 2 cents. ;)

𝖙𝖋𝖈

So who out there knows of another method?
I've seen a couple of other options but they both seemed to be more for large scale areas.. one of them  seemed to work around square miles rather than meters.

Need some ideas or accurate replicas all be a thing of the past :(

GDUBMX

Quote from: тғc on June 22, 2018, 08:20:48 AM
So who out there knows of another method?
I've seen a couple of other options but they both seemed to be more for large scale areas.. one of them  seemed to work around square miles rather than meters.

Need some ideas or accurate replicas all be a thing of the past :(

ahh thats not good. ill do some digging about..
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Going to try terrain.party later, but the tutorial I just watched the guy did something like 60 square miles lol

philiaN

Have downloaded the pro 2018 version (30 day trial) and it's working for me :)

https://www.sketchup.com/de/download/all

If you already tried this.. just give me the coordinates :)