• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:15:31 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Racing and the future

Started by GDUBMX, June 26, 2018, 09:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDUBMX

Gotta say guys, its so refreshing to see this game thrive again and have new life! all the new faces, new hype and most of all new content. Beta 8 was the boot up the arse we needed to get on it again. Thank you to all you guys for sticking by and supporting the cause, as a long time supporter its so cool to see and be a part of it...

Im looking forward to this fixed netcode and finally getting some close racing on the go :D
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

stevo

𝖙𝖋𝖈

It's great to see how things are currently, I only hope it doesn't die out, and I hope mod bikes are managed in a way that doesn't cause problems.

Let's see some more content creators come out! Would love to ride some tracks by someone new..

CSchmied986

Doesn't it seem like things sorta died again the day after B8 came out? Sadly, it seems like for about a day there were people excited, posting, and trying to race online again, but now there are only a few people posting in the forums and I rarely see anyone online. Hopefully it picks up, but it may not until there is a positive online experience.

GDUBMX

See I see way more activity online thank I have in a long time.  Maybe more euros are playing around the same time as me but I've pretty much been on every night and started playing with at least 8 or 9 other people. Haha how crazy does that sound though, we get excited when we have 16 riders online at once.. When I used to play alot of mx sim online in 2012/13 there where 100s of people online. 40 man Gates is alot of fun.

I know what you are saying though NorCal. I agree with you about the online experience needing to be addressed properly to be a success

CSchmied986

Quote from: GDUBMX on June 27, 2018, 05:50:52 AM
See I see way more activity online thank I have in a long time.  Maybe more euros are playing around the same time as me but I've pretty much been on every night and started playing with at least 8 or 9 other people. Haha how crazy does that sound though, we get excited when we have 16 riders online at once.. When I used to play alot of mx sim online in 2012/13 there where 100s of people online. 40 man Gates is alot of fun.

I know what you are saying though NorCal. I agree with you about the online experience needing to be addressed properly to be a success

Haha, maybe I'm not online or I'm at work at work at the peak times. I can't imagine what the netcode problems are, but it must be a very tough problem to solve since it's been so long and not a whole lot of progress has been made yet. Even though JLV seems to not care about updating MXS into the modern age, he somehow had amazing online play from the beginning. Even major (crap) games like MVA and MXGP don't touch his online smoothness, but maybe the more complex the game, the more that is less likely to accomplish.  I wonder if getting rid of dirt files, animations, etc. could help the online play?  :o

GDUBMX

June 27, 2018, 07:57:38 AM #6 Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:05:03 AM by GDUBMX
Yeah possibly, maybe once development focus is back on mxb and a closed test group is formed they can test all possible solutions and theories. I know the dev team have faced criticism for working on multiple games at once causing a very slow almost non progressive development cycle, but I hold hope, Piboso seems like the type of guy who must get it as close to perfect before being humble with it.

I hope its not a case of the more complex things get the less idea he has of how to fix the online issue.

Mx sims online is absolutely flawless 99.9% of the time and maybe that is testament to like you say not having modern graphics and real value physics. I'd like to see the other 3 games be completed and a 100% focus shift on to mx bikes to really push it forward rapidly, with testing groups, hotfixes, regular updates and ultimately an absolute flawless, seamless steam release.

CSchmied986

Well the physics of MXS are still far more realistic than this or any other game (so far), if you watch any gameplay it at least looks realistic, but hopefully this game will hold the physics standard someday,  and I really don't think the graphics are the problem (thanks to the community), but from the user interface to the helmet cam to the modern "sim" features, I don't think much has changed since I first started playing that game. I'm UID 321 so I've played it more than 10 years. MXB certainly has the ability and ambition of being the future Motocross simulator, and has the right platform and ideas, but right now it's just the physics and online play holding it back. In my opinion though, working on 4 titles at once is a recipe for all 4 titles to fail. I hope to be proven wrong though!

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I would argue the physics point.. Although weird stuff happens sometimes and some aspects of the physics aren't 100%, I think the overall physics base is way more accurate than MXS, which also does weird things quite regularly.

But the difference in realism  between two sims is always going to come down to a matter of opinion. You're not right just like I'm not right :) there has to be respect for both arguments.

Asdrael

One of the main issue has always been mods. The fact that you can't update on the fly from a server for bikes, and that servers hiding user tracks simply don't show up of you don't have said track.

So either we keep everything stock to increase accessibility, or accept the fact that mods lower online activity but imo increase fun.

The only move forward is a syncing system for users connecting to servers AND a comprehensive server list and description saying what you miss to connect.

SyncBack is awesome but a bandaid fix as it requires forum reading and third party software setup. As much as it pains me to say so, Steam + Workshop is the only way forward with these kind of games.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

GDUBMX

I agree Asdrael,, l but Piboso has already stated workshop won't happen as it requires hardcode to be altered withing mx bikes which I guess would add extra workload and of course, bugs.

The server list is a great way forward and I've seen several games use the, you need this map and this car to play. (download now) type options, where u can download direct from the server or an additional which only has content on and doesn't host the race/session.

loinen

July 09, 2018, 08:05:30 AM #11 Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 08:10:42 AM by loinen
Quote from: NorCal 986 on June 27, 2018, 07:40:38 AM
Even though JLV seems to not care about updating MXS into the modern age, he somehow had amazing online play from the beginning. Even major (crap) games like MVA and MXGP don't touch his online smoothness

1. MXSimulator has 6-7 bike parameters in the garage (the rest are crappy helpers settings), and you know how many MXBikes has. also, please, do not forget about weather simulation. it means that every parameter and every part of the bike which is related to that parameter, all should be implemented into the physics core with all its mathematics and until it's fully done there is no big reasons to start working on optimizing so called netcode which actually means optimizing every thing and every one, not a section of 10-50 strings called like [NETCODE] as many used to think.
2. looking at MXS, the time in the air (gravity), the weird bike dynamics (especially 450), weight work, track to bike geometry and so on - it's obvious that MXSimulator is far from real physics laws, it's not a simulator, it's more like imitator (lol) with 'matched' physical values. it may seem looking more realistic simply because of cameras and your personal mental visualization of how it should be, in other words it may be an illusion -MXBikes' trackside cameras are weird coz they are too glued to the bike and repeat every bike move, not as it is IRL where cameras and rider style are more smooth and less synchronous, and if you try free look and move camera with your hands the bike movemnt in MXB looks fucking fantastic whilst MXS is actually dull and poor. many of those guys stating MXS is the most realistic motocross game do not compare much, they even do not know anything else except MXS, MXGP and maybe some very old games, and if you have read their opinions they might affect your objectivity.
MXGPs and MVAs, you see these games in release state, with the physics finished and maybe even mostly written in some 'ancient' times. and you still call them crap for some reason. MXB is a new scratch built game which does not have analogues at the moment, same about GP Bikes.

Mace-x

i´ve player a shitload of mxb online this beta, is so much fun!
sadly when i can play everyone is sleeping hahaha

My nephew tryed the game and he hated it, he tryed it again in beta 8 and he liked it a lot, he even bought it!  8)
well, gotta say that the alta helped a lot, thanks Fats!  ;D