• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:15:16 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Trbovlje MX, Slovenia (3D scan)

Started by Asdrael, January 20, 2019, 06:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asdrael

January 20, 2019, 06:22:06 PM Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 06:45:38 PM by Asdrael

It's been a long time since I did a track. Well, found a good opportunity... in a form of a nice 3D scan of a motocross track in Slovenia, Trbovlje MX. The initial track scan was made by mobilexcopter using a QT0x4 and released on Sketchfab (don't waste your time looking it's the only one there). I ported it into MXB and polished it a bit. Here is how it looks, side to side with a GoPro of the track (in winter, with a slightly different layout):

http://www.youtube.com/v/23DYZLTa21o

The track rides well, it's an old school style local MX track. It's a 1:1 scaling in all directions! No huge jumps, but some nasty elevation changes. Some very fast sections, some very slow sections. Overall, it's "medium rough" - ruts are there, it shakes you up a bit, some braking bumps, and some chewed up faces but nothing that will make you randomly fall. It is however a bit more difficult than most track we usually see. Textures are from the scan pictures - you ride on what you see! 20 people pit and gate.

First 3D scanned map in MXBikes and have to say it has turned out above my expectations. Have fun!

Credits:
  • mobilexcopter on Sketchfab for the 3D scan
  • TFC for the SkyBoxes and advice
  • Sandbiter for the Trees
  • Fabian van Dorst on Sketchfab for the tyres
  • ... and last but not least Snappe for helping me sort out scaling (still no idea what's going on in Blender though).
For the curious:
  • The scan was a 3D object that I turned into an 8k heightmap to work on.
  • 95%+ of the on track heightmap is untouched. I just corrected a few holes and trees here and there.
  • Had to basically redo the off track from scratch (fuck trees).
  • Once all heightmap work was done: Gaussian Filter 2 pixel wide (removing noise and the "pebbles" from the track), scaling down to 2k. Any less filtering and it was unridable due to random kicks, and any higher resolution and the FPS was all over the place.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

GDUBMX

<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

pacopastor34

Looks really good. Can't wait to ride a few laps on it. Thank you man!

Twitch135

Awesome work man. Track is a lot of fun. Thanks for bringing the first 3D scanned track to MXB. ;D
<br />Donations are greatly appreciated http://paypal.me/TWITCH135

stevo

January 20, 2019, 09:13:34 PM #4 Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:15:23 PM by stevo
love it...old school....really like that the grip doesnt change much if you go slightly offline and leave the track ....seems if you go off the track at other tracks...the grip changes.....which is a bit wierd cos its still the same dirt....

Thank You Asdrael...another outstanding contribution to the game :)

joao santos 17

pacopastor34

After riding a few laps I can say is one of my favourite tracks. The track feeling is amazingly real. The ruts makes you stay focused and it's so fun. Textures give the track a real looking but i would love they have more resolution, I guess 3D scanning must have some textures limitations. Sometimes 3D Grass makes framerate to fall, maybe it's time to change my GTX660 :P

Good work Asdrael.

LastFriday

Quote from: pacopastor34 on January 21, 2019, 03:10:53 PM
After riding a few laps I can say is one of my favourite tracks. The track feeling is amazingly real. The ruts makes you stay focused and it's so fun. Textures give the track a real looking but i would love they have more resolution, I guess 3D scanning must have some textures limitations. Sometimes 3D Grass makes framerate to fall, maybe it's time to change my GTX660 :P

Good work Asdrael.

+1

Jimqc

teeds

Nicely done Asdreal, this type of track making works for sure. Looking up from the pits at someone riding the track when in VR gives me the best sense of track immersion yet. Higher res terrain would be better, but you've got it running smoothly.
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

Asdrael

Thanks all for the nice feedback. Just to clarify, and since I got a few comments and questions here and there:

- when I say 3D scan, I mean scanned with a drone flying at low altitude above the track. It's not a GoogleEarth import (those work for rough terrain shape, not at all for jump, ruts, general roughness).
- a higher resolution heightmap was killing the FPS, and not bringing much in terms of track quality.
- the textures are the picture tacken by the drone during the scan, also projected at 8k resolution for the entire track. Actual uploaded pictures where not that much better quality, so 16k would have been useless (if even possible?). I could have remade all the textures using various techniques, but 1. it would take ages and 2. I think for a first 3D scanned track, having these kind of photo-like textures kinda makes a point: yes it's a scanned track, it works, and rides well.

Anyhow... did people manage to have their lap times tracked online? I was riding on a server yesterday and while my times were counted, the other rider time was not and his lines were correct...
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

teeds

Yea I got times when I took the correct route around the track, there's so many options that look like the way to go.

I like how rough it is but will the track deform?

Shame about the baked in shadows on the track, maybe taking the images at noon when the sun's directly above would help a bit? I guess you have matched the objects and light source, as it all looks good and natural.
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

Asdrael

Quote from: teeds on January 22, 2019, 12:01:37 PMI like how rough it is but will the track deform?

It will deform. The track is 95% regular soil with a thickness of 0.3, one corner is soft soil with iirc 0.5 thickness. The pits area is Compact Soil so it doesn't deform that much. The top texture is 0.1 thick but only moderatly darker than the top layer so deformation should be visible but not an eyesore (hard to test deformation offline solo...)

QuoteShame about the baked in shadows on the track, maybe taking the images at noon when the sun's directly above would help a bit? I guess you have matched the objects and light source, as it all looks good and natural.

Yeah I aligned the game sun with the real sun and tried placing trees as they were on the real track ;) I actually liked the fact that there were shadows as it makes ruts clearly visible, but also hated it because it made some ruts almost invisible when under trees.

Also, I forgot to mention but if anyone is interested in scanning track with a drone - you kinda need a horizontal plane reference. The scan was tilted and I had to correct it, which was doable because there was the water pond in the middle. The tilt was minimal (like 3.5°) but the influence on how the track rode was huge.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

FryedroPonics

this track is super fun to do laps on dude!

fridgedollar

thanks for the track dude. i especially like how in the video youre also riding a suzuki and have the same helmet, looks sick