• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:51:06 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Interested in making tracks for MXB? Awesome! Need help? Please read first

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, October 19, 2019, 05:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Hi all,

With the recent influx of players due to the Steam release I've been getting asked for help by quite a few people. This is great! MXB needs more content..

MXB Forum or Discord is the best place for this and it's best to ask questions in the 'Mod Track' channel not private message at first - This way, others also have the opportunity to read your question, read our (or other peoples) answer and learn too.

That being said, I don't think anyone has the time or will to write down the entire process in one go. 80% of questions I get are something along the lines of 'Please can you explain how to make a track for MXB from start to finish'. This is difficult for many reasons, two main ones being:

1. just how many steps and processes are involved in making tracks for MXB

2. how each step to make a track isn't just a simple 'do this do that', and a step like 'make a heightmap' or 'do your textures' or 'create objects' are actually long involved processes that require proper learning and different software to achieve

Individual processes, would be useful to be competent at:

-Using MXB apps (TrackEd, FBX2EDF etc..)
-Using a paint program (heightmap, texture and texture mask creation)
-Using a heightmap specific program (L3DT, EarthSculptor etc..)
-Using a 3d modelling program (Blender, Maya, 3DSMax, SketchUp etc..)

Understanding / Abilities that will make the process a whole lot easier from the start:

-Using and editing basic config files (NotePad ++ and editing values, following language rules and proofing for errors, anyone with HTML and CSS experience should find this easy)
-File and folder structure competency, copying files, moving files, creating new files, making sure folders include the right files etc..
-The ability to read - You must be able to do your own research, learn on your own and follow instructions
-Understanding of file formats. Formats in MXB are quite specific from heightmap to texture format, bit depth, heightmap and texture map size, objects etc..
-Understanding image editing. Knowledge of alpha, alpha masks, normal maps, spec maps and layers is important

All of this can be learned easily! Google! look for answers, watch videos on L3DT, Photoshop, Gimp, Blender, 3DSMax - but maybe you're starting to get an idea of why we can't just quickly explain the process in 10 minutes on Discord!

Making tracks for MXB is easy if you know how, and easy to pick up if you are competent at learning new software/processes. If not, it might take a while, but anyone who helps is going to want to see some effort put in first and questions about a specific part of making tracks are encouraged over generalised questions that are very difficult to answer.

So, please, ask as many questions as you like. But neither myself, Ruben or probably anyone else will have the time, ability or willing to write down the entire process start to finish upon request with all steps explained in enough detail for a complete novice to be able to take and make a track from scratch.

Some useful info:

http://docs.piboso.com/wiki/index.php/MXB_Track_Creation_Guide

This is basically the only document you need to read in order to make tracks. This gives you 100% of the information in an easy to read and understand way. It can be a bit confusing or daunting as tying up all the information to the process takes some getting used to, but when you know how, it will 100% make sense. Best place to start and bookmark it for later reference.

http://docs.piboso.com/wiki/index.php/Track_Creation_Rules

Not everything here applies to MXB, but it's definitely a useful document to bookmark for reference. It contains some very useful information about how to name objects in Blender such as how to create walls, track surface and more from objects. There is also some very useful information regarding animated textures, reflection maps and more. Fundamentals.

http://www.kartracing-pro.com/downloads/tt.zip
http://www.mx-bikes.com/downloads/mxb_track_example.zip

Track Tools and example track files. Everything you need to get started. Track tools should be kept updated so make sure you grab new ones when they are, and the example track is probably the most important reference you can get.

Extract the example track to your HD and you have a perfect example of how your track folder should look if you're making your own. Take a look at a track folder in your Mods or MX Bikes > Tracks folder for an example of how it needs to look when it's in game.

http://forum.mx-bikes.com/index.php?topic=2598.0

Rubens Photoshop tutorial, if you're new to it or want some insight into making tracks with it this is a great place to start

http://forum.mx-bikes.com/index.php?topic=749.0

Some of my tutorials. These are a bit random and quite specific to different steps but useful none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ikeiztheriz/videos

My YouTube. There are some videos of me using L3DT on there from streams. Might be useful if people want to know my workflow when making the heightmap.

If anyone has a tutorial to share I'd appreciate the URL, I will add it to this list. Thanks!

Good luck, ask questions, make awesome content!

Yirka63

Thank you for this summarizing, it is useful with other guides here on forum.
I am making track for the first time, so far I have heightmap (flat), texture mask and lot of energy to make my local track, wich I help to maintain irl.
Anyway, I have failed to generate .trh and .map files. I think I filled all the documents correctly. Is there anybody who could help me to check so I can move?

EDIT: I found out. Problem was that terrained.exe was in own folder and not in same folder as trh.bat...

EDIT2: OK, I am not able to put any mask to see it in TrackEd, I filled .hmu by Piboso guide, but I was not succesful. Any help?

Thanks

teeds

Nice work TFC.

jirka63, I look forward to ripping up your local track when it's done ;)
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Have you had a look at PiBoSo's example track? The HMF and THT show everything you need and how it should all be called.

Make sure your textures and masks aren't to the power of 2 plus 1 pixel so 2049 for heightmap, 2048 for masks, 2048 or 1024 or 512 or even 256 for texture tiles..

It's normally something simple.

Yirka63

Quote from: 𝖙𝖋𝖈 on November 13, 2019, 01:09:31 PMHave you had a look at PiBoSo's example track? The HMF and THT show everything you need and how it should all be called.

Make sure your textures and masks aren't to the power of 2 plus 1 pixel so 2049 for heightmap, 2048 for masks, 2048 or 1024 or 512 or even 256 for texture tiles..

Thank you, I have mask in 2049, not 2048.
I bet it is difficult only with first track, I just need to find procedures.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: jirka63 on November 13, 2019, 02:10:02 PM
Quote from: 𝖙𝖋𝖈 on November 13, 2019, 01:09:31 PMHave you had a look at PiBoSo's example track? The HMF and THT show everything you need and how it should all be called.

No problem. I'm currently working on some tutorials. They're going to take a while a d are based around making a replica but should help everyone.

Yirka63

Quote from: 𝖙𝖋𝖈 on November 21, 2019, 08:15:05 AM
Quote from: jirka63 on November 13, 2019, 02:10:02 PM

No problem. I'm currently working on some tutorials. They're going to take a while a d are based around making a replica but should help everyone.

That is great, looking forward! For now I am fighting a little with heightmap. What is the best procedure to make complete heightmap? I have basic terrain, but what about various berms/jumps/rollers/bumps etc? What is the easiest way?

Again thank you for your tutorials and help. I appriciate it!

Asdrael

The easiest way is the way you come up with. Some people swear by photoshop, some by L3DT, some can't live without Blender and some have too much money and 3DSMax.

Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord