• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:14:14 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Blue Quarry Compound: MX | SX (Top) | SX2 | *Hybrid* (NEW as of Jan. 9)

Started by Big Smooth one3, December 19, 2019, 10:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Smooth one3

Honestly didn't think I'd have multiple tracks on this map when I released the MX layout, but here we are...so I wanted to keep them all in 1 place and not spam this forum with posts.
Scroll down to the last of the 4 tracks in this OP for the HYBRID layout, the most recent Blue Quarry track posted on January 9th.
Cheers
!

Blue Quarry MX '19
This track is my first to post in here, mostly because I've yet to learn how to do everything involved (most notably, objects), but contains what I hope is a fairly solid heightmap and textures/masks consistent with what I've read/learned are standard practice in MXB track building. My hope is that this track can be fun for some of you to rip around - and I would love any/all feedback on the ride-ability (or anything at all) since that will help to inform future designs. Big thanks to those of you who have helped answer a few questions along the way, and to tfc for his recent tutorial videos as I've gleaned some info from those, as well (texture/material setup, especially).

Anyway, I understand this is not full-on "complete" with all the pretty objects, etc., so I'm treating this as betaV1 as I've seen others do on here - hence the "'19" at the end of the track name, which will change to '20 (or other) with additional updates - but I certainly think/hope this is something that could be fun for us to have in-game as an extra option when we get the itch to play.

Sincerely hope you enjoy!

Blue Quarry SX '19 (Top)
After a lot of tinkering and brushing up on my sx track building, I'm happy to release "Blue Quarry SX '19 (Top)" for your enjoyment. This is the SX track located on the top level of the map which also houses the previously released Blue Quarry MX. I plan to build another SX layout on this compound-ish map, hence the "TOP" designation with this one. I'm admittedly still a bit rusty in track making, but I'm really finding it fun to get back into mx game track design (and really enjoying MXB in general) and fully plan on learning more so that I can bring some of my mxgp heighmaps into mxb in a more polished manor. That said, I spent a lot of time tweaking the layout, jumps, etc. here, and while I still know there is obviously room for improvement on the basic presentations of both this SX track and the MX layout, I'm pleased with how both have come out and feel as if I'm constantly learning how to do some of this stuff better every time I work on one of my WIP's. Certainly hope you enjoy this one, and feedback is welcome, as always!

Blue Quarry SX2 (2020 Arlington Replica)
For the final (next?) layout on my Blue Quarry map, I've given replica SX building a try with the 2020 Arlington layout. I focused on spacing as best I could, feel like I had a bit of poor jump/obstacle spacing on BQSX1 in a couple of spots, and with this being a replica, it came with it's own set of unique challenges to scaling vs a track map/graphic. It's always tough to make an IRL layout "work" in a game, and the split-ish sand lane was particularly challenging to get to a point that I was pleased with, but I'm overall pleased with my first go (in a long time) at producing an in-game replica SX track. Hope you enjoy!

Blue Quarry Hybrid

The "Hybrid" track is a combined single lap layout comprised largely of the MX, SX (Top), and SX2 tracks, but with more than a few tweaks and changes. Most of the changes happened in response to feedback and/or things I felt didn't end up riding how I'd have hoped. The obvious "new" bits are related to how the tracks were connected, so some sections were changed up a bit, which you will notice. This should be a long - but hopefully fun - laptime, hope you enjoy!

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Just done a few laps and really great job for a first track!

Really enjoyable sections, I love the double triple triple and the big jumps when you jump back down from the top. Take off's are super smooth and a very whippable.

My only suggestions at this stage would be 2 things.

1. Make some of the landings bigger, some of them are small and it feels perfect, others are small and it feels sketchy lol

2. consider flow, like on the whole the track flows really well! But one spot for example, the step up to the 2nd level, maybe try adding some roughness to the run up to make it difficult to get lots of speed and maybe half the height of the takeoff so you feel like you're properly stepping up - I overshot it by about 50 feet on the 450 lol

Seriously great job though especially for first track, keep at it!

Nicky Locke

Really good job man. Track is super fun and I really like the fact that throttle control is essential to put down a good lap.

Thanks for the content, keep up the good work

Big Smooth one3

Quote from: 𝖙𝖋𝖈 on December 19, 2019, 10:50:13 PMJust done a few laps and really great job for a first track!

Really enjoyable sections, I love the double triple triple and the big jumps when you jump back down from the top. Take off's are super smooth and a very whippable.

My only suggestions at this stage would be 2 things.

1. Make some of the landings bigger, some of them are small and it feels perfect, others are small and it feels sketchy lol

2. consider flow, like on the whole the track flows really well! But one spot for example, the step up to the 2nd level, maybe try adding some roughness to the run up to make it difficult to get lots of speed and maybe half the height of the takeoff so you feel like you're properly stepping up - I overshot it by about 50 feet on the 450 lol

Seriously great job though especially for first track, keep at it!
Thanks for taking a couple of minutes to provide feedback. Brief backstory - this was a track I made for MXS a number of years ago that I always thought was fun, and more importantly thought would be a good first step at getting some of the basics down in MXB building before trying to bring over some of my replicas (Charlotte, MXGP of Indo, '16 Lommel) and/or other custom tracks. I did a lot of work on the terrain to try and make it fit MXB physics better; removed much of the "rough" layers, smaller/non-bermy inside ruts, and almost all of the dug-in rut types (haven't figured out how to make those work in a way that "feels" right); and just an absolute ton of time learning the texture & material layers setup, masking, etc. (thanks again for that in your video, was a huuuge help). Altogether I'm pleased with how it's come out, but it's also a bit intimidating since I know there's still so much more to learn to make a fully polished track up to the standard I'd like - I mean, I genuinely have no clue how to do simple objects like bales or banners and the like.

Your point on the landings is well taken. In my fiddling with the terrain, I really struggled to get a few of the jumps to shape up in-game the way I was expecting and mostly just focused on the take-offs, probably should have spent additional time on landings, but it's a learning experience. On your second point - I actually had that step-up jump lower and further back but worried that it would be too difficult, so I justified the change as saying "it's a scrub speed jump," but I agree with you that it could be cooler as more of an elevation-up launch. Oh, and there actually is some very soft/slight roughness in that run-up, I just turned the opacity down quite low since it was making me wheelie in an unrealistic way for some reason...I honestly kind of forgot about redoing that bit toward the end as I had intended to lol should have gone with smaller brush size to make it a bit choppier similar to the run up to that hip/ditch jump, but oh well!

Thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated, and glad you enjoyed the track!

Quote from: Nick838 on December 20, 2019, 01:05:44 AMReally good job man. Track is super fun and I really like the fact that throttle control is essential to put down a good lap.

Thanks for the content, keep up the good work
Thanks Nick! Very happy to hear you like the track!

holtergeist

this track is really great. the track deformation is really good and i enjoy the tight, sx feel in some of the sections. i actaully hosted a lobby and ended up riding around with the creator.

there also a unfinished supercross track on the map too. you can tell thats going to be awesome as well.

good job to the creator and this is the kinda stuff that makes this game awesome.

thanks for all the time you guys put in to making tracks!
"hole-shot, pin-it, knock everybody down, go through the second corner, come out in front" -TP199

CSchmied986

This track feels like a great "amatuer" style track! Big jumps and good flow. Would really like to see a finished track and slightly more refined track surface. Good work!

Paradox28

I like all the jumps and flow of the track..before that step up I would probably add some kind of little rhythm or something like that to break up the speed like TFC said, just feels like too long of a run up for a relatively small jump. After that..theres a big booter on the back that kind of just lands to flat...maybe look into making that some kind of double?

GDUBMX

gotta say man, been having a blast with this tracl. its so fun and has a nice supercross/compound vibe to it. Great work :)
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

firedrug fgr

Big Smooth one3

Combined all the tracks on this map into a single thread and deleted the others so that I wasn't creating new threads for every track in the same "compound." Have at least 1 more in the works that's a hybrid combination of the 3 that are already built, just for fun, and will bump the thread when I update the OP with that soon-to-come track.

GDUBMX

<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

Big Smooth one3

Bump for Hybrid Track release :D
Check the last of the 4 track links in the OP - or just CLICK HERE to download!

CSchmied986

All great tracks! Would be awesome to see finished versions with objects!

teeds

"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba