• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:27:53 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Track editing questions/help

Started by Ruubs, April 24, 2014, 01:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geo

Well if you hang in there, eventually my tutorials will have this.

bugatti098

December 03, 2018, 02:58:46 AM #316 Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:14:05 AM by bugatti098
Quote from: geo on December 02, 2018, 11:47:36 PM
Well if you hang in there, eventually my tutorials will have this.

I figured it out. I was having errors with fbx2edf when using sketchup. I think it had to do with how sketchup exports .fbx files (or I was doing something wrong). Instead I imported the models into blender, ran them through fbx2edf and then used trackED to place them with success. Thought I'd share. Anyways thanks for the tutorials they were a big help.

https://imgur.com/a/oiL2lKD

𝖙𝖋𝖈

PiBoSo/Snappe

I'm nearly finished Glendale stadium and I was hoping someone could tell me how to do the replay camera screen?

Big Smooth one3

Looking for help/a tip, hope this is a good place to do so...

I'm wondering if anyone can share a "best practices" type of tip for ways to get bumps and smaller ruts to be more visible on track. My elementary thinking is to modify my "path" texture mask, basically making the bumps and ruts a bit lighter to distinguish from the rest of the on-track texture shade. Really any general tips for building in roughness (i.e., larger or smaller brush size, more blurred or sharp, spacing, etc.) and making it as visible to the player as possible would be greatly appreciated - whether it's tile/texture/decal related, some masking trick, etc, I'd love to know how you guys do it so well. I'm pretty confident in figuring out the first part, the actual design of the roughness into the heighmap, but the visibility is something I'm really struggling with.

Thanks!

Ruubs

December 26, 2019, 06:55:23 PM #319 Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 11:58:21 PM by Ruubs
Quote from: Big Smooth one3 on December 26, 2019, 03:23:00 PMLooking for help/a tip, hope this is a good place to do so...

I'm wondering if anyone can share a "best practices" type of tip for ways to get bumps and smaller ruts to be more visible on track. My elementary thinking is to modify my "path" texture mask, basically making the bumps and ruts a bit lighter to distinguish from the rest of the on-track texture shade. Really any general tips for building in roughness (i.e., larger or smaller brush size, more blurred or sharp, spacing, etc.) and making it as visible to the player as possible would be greatly appreciated - whether it's tile/texture/decal related, some masking trick, etc, I'd love to know how you guys do it so well. I'm pretty confident in figuring out the first part, the actual design of the roughness into the heighmap, but the visibility is something I'm really struggling with.

Thanks!
A low sun position will do wonders, so you can play around with the sun position a bit and see if you like it.
What you said about making the bumps and ruts a bit lighter is exactly what I do. Pretty sure Snappe does that for the stock tracks as well.

I think Snappe and I do our layers the same way too, it's a very basic set up, but you can do a lot with it and it's good on performance:
First (bottom) layer = dark dirt
Second layer = light dirt (use mask to make the ontrack darker while leaving bumps a little lighter, this is also the texture I have my 4k/8k normal map overlay on)
Third and on = additional textures like grass

Both first and second layer need to be the same texture, except for the brightness off course, to make it work.

Big Smooth one3

Quote from: Ruubs on December 26, 2019, 06:55:23 PM
Quote from: Big Smooth one3 on December 26, 2019, 03:23:00 PMLooking for help/a tip, hope this is a good place to do so...

Thanks!
A low sun position will do wonders, so you can play around with the sun position a bit and see if you like it.
What you said about making the bumps and ruts a bit lighter is exactly what I do. Pretty sure Snappe does that for the stock tracks as well.

I think Snappe and I do our layers the same way too, it's a very basic set up, but you can do a lot with it and it's good on performance:
First (bottom) layer = dark dirt
Second layer = light dirt (use mask to make the ontrack darker while leaving bumps a little lighter, this is also the texture I have my 4k/8k normal map overlay on)
Third and on = additional textures like grass

Both first and second layer need to be the same texture, except for the brightness off course, to make it work.
Firstly, great tip on low sun angle, wow did that make a difference. That said, my only worry is that such a low sun angle - which brings out some of the smaller terrain variations really well - would make the overall lighting too dark. Is there a simple work-around for that?

Ruubs

Quote from: Big Smooth one3 on December 27, 2019, 08:43:40 PMFirstly, great tip on low sun angle, wow did that make a difference. That said, my only worry is that such a low sun angle - which brings out some of the smaller terrain variations really well - would make the overall lighting too dark. Is there a simple work-around for that?
You can do a lot of lighting adjustments in the .amb file. Not quite sure if you can make it much lighter, but it's worth a try.
All RGB files in the .amb file are in 0-1 scale. Lets say you want your red to be 240, simply devide 240 by 255 and the result is what you use in your .amb file.

Oh btw. you don't have to compile the .map each time you edit your .amb file. Simply reload the .map in mapview or change the weather. In game simply reload the track.

Big Smooth one3

Quote from: Ruubs on December 27, 2019, 09:04:52 PM
Quote from: Big Smooth one3 on December 27, 2019, 08:43:40 PMFirstly, great tip on low sun angle, wow did that make a difference. That said, my only worry is that such a low sun angle - which brings out some of the smaller terrain variations really well - would make the overall lighting too dark. Is there a simple work-around for that?
You can do a lot of lighting adjustments in the .amb file. Not quite sure if you can make it much lighter, but it's worth a try.
All RGB files in the .amb file are in 0-1 scale. Lets say you want your red to be 240, simply devide 240 by 255 and the result is what you use in your .amb file.

Oh btw. you don't have to compile the .map each time you edit your .amb file. Simply reload the .map in mapview or change the weather. In game simply reload the track.
Thanks. I've been toying with the amb file a bit, pretty cool how much you can change the coloration of tiles (especially unsaturated ones) with that toy. I'll keep playing around, but again, thanks for the tip, was actually able to see my bumps after doing this, so now I can move on to refining them on the heightmap.

Big Smooth one3

December 29, 2019, 04:18:28 PM #323 Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 05:19:38 PM by Big Smooth one3
New problem/question.

What are known causes of trackED crashing upon loading a TRH file? This happened to me on one of the first tracks I was attempting to build and I just gave up trying to figure it out, but it's happened again. I literally just made changes to the heightmap, re-saved the texture mask I use to distinguish the path and bumps/ruts, and suddenly tracked crashed when I try to load the TRH to re-merge the centerline before re-saving to test. Any ideas?

Edit: nvm, figured it out, forgot to downsize the new texture mask...oops. All good now.

TonySpinelli

Okay guys, i am about to rip my hair out. I went through the text tutorial on here on how to make a replica track, i can not for the life of me get any of my layer masks to show up in mapviewer..I've even grabbed layer masks out of the basic track folder that he provided to try and see if i could reverse engineer my way out and figure out what i am doing wrong but even those don't work. so i am going to give you guys my hmf file, a picture of what it looks like in mapviewer, and my mask. i hope someone can tell me what stupid mistake i am making. (i am running map.bat every time i try and update layermasks). i am also saving the masks in the correct spot and saving as 8bit rgb tga, I've also tried saving with the rgb on and off. sorry for the long rant, just trying to save some time to hopefully get this stuff figured out. Thanks guys.

samples_x = 2049
samples_z = 2049

data = basic_track.raw

size_x = 683
size_z = 683
scale = 25

num_layers = 4
layer0
{
map = maps/mud_treads.tga
repetitions = 50
thickness = 10.0
}

layer1
{
map = maps/mud.tga
repetitions = 50
thickness = 0.14
}

layer2
{
map = maps/dirt.tga
repetitions = 80
mask = mud_mask.tga
thickness = 0.06
}

layer3
{
map = maps/grass.tga
repetitions = 50
mask = maps/grass_mask.tga
thickness = 0.02

grass
{
max_density = 25
height = 0.40
height_diff = 0.35
width = 0.5
width_diff = 0.0.35
texture = maps/grassfx.tga
densitymap = maps/mask_grass.tga
}
}

Docfumi

I didn't lose the race, I ran out of laps.

Resolute Kraken

@TonySpinelli save your mask as 32-bit TGA. Without that the alpha channel is not saved with it as far as I know.

iNsane

Quote from: TonySpinelli on February 05, 2020, 03:04:20 AMOkay guys, i am about to rip my hair out. I went through the text tutorial on here on how to make a replica track, i can not for the life of me get any of my layer masks to show up in mapviewer..I've even grabbed layer masks out of the basic track folder that he provided to try and see if i could reverse engineer my way out and figure out what i am doing wrong but even those don't work. so i am going to give you guys my hmf file, a picture of what it looks like in mapviewer, and my mask. i hope someone can tell me what stupid mistake i am making. (i am running map.bat every time i try and update layermasks). i am also saving the masks in the correct spot and saving as 8bit rgb tga, I've also tried saving with the rgb on and off. sorry for the long rant, just trying to save some time to hopefully get this stuff figured out. Thanks guys.

samples_x = 2049
samples_z = 2049

data = basic_track.raw

size_x = 683
size_z = 683
scale = 25

num_layers = 4
layer0
{
map = maps/mud_treads.tga
repetitions = 50
thickness = 10.0
}

layer1
{
map = maps/mud.tga
repetitions = 50
thickness = 0.14
}

layer2
{
map = maps/dirt.tga
repetitions = 80
mask = mud_mask.tga
thickness = 0.06
}

layer3
{
map = maps/grass.tga
repetitions = 50
mask = maps/grass_mask.tga
thickness = 0.02

grass
{
max_density = 25
height = 0.40
height_diff = 0.35
width = 0.5
width_diff = 0.0.35
texture = maps/grassfx.tga
densitymap = maps/mask_grass.tga
}
}

I also think your problem results in wrong exported format. Save it as 32-bit tga and it should work. By looking at your screenshots everything seems about right.

🌐 MX Bikes custom content
MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal

TonySpinelli

i have been..i can't even get the basic track example one to work correctly in mapview..i think the world doesn't want me making tracks..it just annoys me because this is so much better than mxs was and i truly think i understand how the masks work and everything..but for some damn reason i can't get it to work.

SceneOfAction

I think I found the solution for anybody coming across this now...
The tga can't have the +1 on the pixel size (2049x2049). It has to be 2048x2048.
I changed it to 2048 and that did it for me.

Here's the source:
http://forum.mx-bikes.com/index.php?topic=1068.0

"Textures must be in TGA or BMP truecolor format. Size must be power of 2 (256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096). Textures can be rectangle ( for example: 256x512, 1024x64 )
Heightmap etc. +1 Pixel (1025x1025, 2049x2049 etc.)"