• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:57:11 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

rotating objects

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, October 13, 2016, 08:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Would it be possible to add the functionality to mxb, I guess gpb, krp and wrs too, to have rotating objects for tracks?

I.e, a windmill made of two parts, tower and blades, where the blades origin is it's centre and it spins at a set speed.

It's a long way from animated objects, I can't see it being nearly as demanding to develop, and anyone who can make objects will be able to add easily..

The uses are as big as your imagination, including things like:

Clouds. Instead of making just a skydome, you make a totally clear sky skydome, and a sphere made up of a tileable patchy cloud texture that rotates very slowly. If these rotating objects could generate dynamic shadows (again, I don't see why not) then this would be amazingly atmospheric to have the sun go behind the clouds for short periods.

Hot air balloons, could have their origin very far away and offset from the center of the track causing them to drift in and over very slowly, rotation could be long such as 1 full rotation per 10 minutes.

Aeroplanes. Similar to the clouds, you could have an aeroplane with a vapor trail object / texture with alpha rotating over the track and under it and back round.

Windmills / turbines, the obvious choice for an example..

There are many more.. What do you think?

Vortex_Damien

Stunning idea, can be extremely useful in many cases with creating a inviting and atmospheric environment..

Ruubs

Love it! Imagine birds flying around! Or a train going by.

My track creations will take even longer then. I'll be making this game look so real haha

𝖙𝖋𝖈

PiBoSo/Snappe did you guys give this any thought? Still something I'd love to see.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Should I take that as a no? 😕

Snappe

Completely missed this topic somehow, sorry!

It's a good idea! I'm not sure if the clouds would work as well as you'd like... But for things like windmills planes ferriswheels etc it would be an elegant simple solution and would add some life to tracks for sure. We'll see what we can do.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: Snappe on December 10, 2018, 03:58:31 PM
Completely missed this topic somehow, sorry!

It's a good idea! I'm not sure if the clouds would work as well as you'd like... But for things like windmills planes ferriswheels etc it would be an elegant simple solution and would add some life to tracks for sure. We'll see what we can do.

Awesome, thanks Snappe 👍

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Hey guys, did this make it into B11?

Resolute Kraken

I noticed that Paleta has the windmills with rotating blades - how was this accomplished?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I did that with animated textures

http://docs.piboso.com/wiki/index.php/Track_Creation_Rules#Texture_Animation

However, I would love to know if this made it into the game at all? Still something I'd love to experiment with!

Niko Mouk

Developers, I got to push on this request, we need it for some cool scenes.
Hey ! If you like my work, you can 💰 donate on Paypal, thank you !

PiBoSo

January 17, 2020, 11:13:43 PM #11 Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 11:16:47 PM by PiBoSo
Quote from: Niko Mouk on January 16, 2020, 08:54:01 AMDevelopers, I got to push on this request, we need it for some cool scenes.

First of all, the object must be exported as EDF in the track folder.

Then, the SCR file of the track must be edited or created ( using the folder name as filename ).
Example SCR file that adds a rotating object ( obj2 ), using "Nevada_18" as the base:
obj0
{
 flag = 1
 name = *flag_country_big.edf
 paint = flag_usa.pnt
 data = flag.cfg
 pos = 98.09, 25, 55.93
}
obj1
{
 flag = 1
 paint = flag_usa.pnt
 data = flag.cfg
 pos = 98.09, 25, 76.93
}
obj2
{
 name = filename.edf
 rot_axis = 1, 0, 0
 rot_time = 5000
 pos = 100, 10, 60
 rot = 90, 0, 0
 radius = 10
}

The three parameters of "rot_axis" and "pos" are X, Y, Z where X+ is right, Y+ is up and Z+ is forward, looking at the map in TrackEd.
"rot_time" is the time, in milliseconds, to complete a full turn.
"rot" sets the local pitch, yaw and roll rotations of the object.
"radius" is the radius, in meters, of the turn. Zero means that the object rotates around itself.

Niko Mouk

Bu..... But ! What about shadows ? The rotating objects aren't casting shadows ?
Hey ! If you like my work, you can 💰 donate on Paypal, thank you !

suzuki98

Quote from: PiBoSo on January 17, 2020, 11:13:43 PM
Quote from: Niko Mouk on January 16, 2020, 08:54:01 AMDevelopers, I got to push on this request, we need it for some cool scenes.

First of all, the object must be exported as EDF in the track folder.

Then, the SCR file of the track must be edited or created ( using the folder name as filename ).
Example SCR file that adds a rotating object ( obj2 ), using "Nevada_18" as the base:
obj0
{
 flag = 1
 paint = flag_usa.pnt
 data = flag.cfg
 pos = 98.09, 25, 55.93
}
obj1
{
 flag = 1
 paint = flag_usa.pnt
 data = flag.cfg
 pos = 98.09, 25, 76.93
}
obj2
{
 name = filename.edf
 rot_axis = 1, 0, 0
 rot_time = 5000
 pos = 100, 10, 60
 rot = 90, 0, 0
 radius = 10
}

The three parameters of "rot_axis" and "pos" are X, Y, Z where X+ is right, Y+ is up and Z+ is forward, looking at the map in TrackEd.
"rot_time" is the time, in milliseconds, to complete a full turn.
"rot" sets the local pitch, yaw and roll rotations of the object.
"radius" is the radius, in meters, of the turn. Zero means that the object rotates around itself.
working on a tower object for supercross that i want the sign to spin and no matter what i try i can get it to rotate but not spin where it is standing.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: suzuki98 on February 20, 2021, 05:15:37 PMworking on a tower object for supercross that i want the sign to spin and no matter what i try i can get it to rotate but not spin where it is standing.

Sounds to me like an origin problem. It will rotate around the objects origin. In blender you can move the origin easily, not sure about other software..