• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:49:00 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

TFC's Replica Track Creation Tutorial Series

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, November 22, 2019, 08:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

November 22, 2019, 08:41:04 AM Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 08:52:42 AM by 𝖙𝖋𝖈
Hi all,

Here you will find my track creation tutorial series. This tutorial is based around making a replica track and for that we will be making Maggiora MXGP 2015ish. I will be showing you everything you need to know to make a replica or your own fantasy track using L3DT, GIMP, Blender and the MXB Track Tools.

The aim is to release at least 1 video per week and 2 if I can manage, but please give me some time - I do this stuff for free and have a full time job and a family.

If you like these tutorials and want to keep up to date please subscribe to my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/TFCFactoryTracks. Please also be sure to like the videos if you find them useful and if you want you can buy me a beer.

Part 1
Introduction to track creation and getting the example track into game with a customised name. Nice and easy but kind of an essential step.

Part 2
How to get real world height data using Tangram Heightmapper & Google Earth. How to import and export with L3DT & testing in game.

Part 3
Sculpting the heightmap - Finding heights for each section of track and getting a good base to start working on details from, testing in game.

Part 4
Mapping Image For Masks & Testing - Creating a new image to work from and create masks from.

Part 5
How texture masks, texture tiles, SHD files & normal maps work. Also building our own HMF and THT with our own texture tiles and masks.

Part 6
Essential L3DT techniques such as how to do track widths, straights, hills, edges of track, berms, ground work and jumps.

Part 7
On track details like braking bumps, acceleration bumps and general roughness.

Part 8
Advanced texturing using the L3DT 3d texture brush, mask & heightmap adjustment to sync & tile adjustment. Sorry it's a long one.. ;D

Try Current Build Here: DOWNLOAD - Please leave feedback on YouTube.

jtrs_61

Dude! Thanks a bunch for everything so far... layout and textures are looking pretty damn good for my first time doin this (ive watched and re-watched while doing it), and I cant wait to see how to build some jumps for "Possum Hollow".  Thanks again, I look forward to more of these incredibly informative videos... keep up the good work!

Big Smooth one3

Eagerly awaiting the blender/object placement episode :D

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: Big Smooth one3 on January 13, 2020, 04:54:56 PMEagerly awaiting the blender/object placement episode :D

That one is a way off dude, I'm afraid.. I'm currently working on one on advanced L3DT techniques, then I'll be finishing up a bunch of the track, then I'll do advanced textures, then I'll do Blender.

But, good news is I've been learning 2.8 so I can at least do a tutorial on the new Blender which most people will be using.

Big Smooth one3

Quote from: 𝖙𝖋𝖈 on January 13, 2020, 05:21:16 PM
Quote from: Big Smooth one3 on January 13, 2020, 04:54:56 PMEagerly awaiting the blender/object placement episode :D

That one is a way off dude, I'm afraid.. I'm currently working on one on advanced L3DT techniques, then I'll be finishing up a bunch of the track, then I'll do advanced textures, then I'll do Blender.

But, good news is I've been learning 2.8 so I can at least do a tutorial on the new Blender which most people will be using.
Looks like any tracks I make won't have objects then....and I even downloaded the old version of Blender so I could follow along, how dare you!

lol

No worries, thanks for the info you've put out thus far. If there's some other reference you know off the top of your head that you'd recommend for basic object placement, and you don't mind pointing me in that direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

MB52

tutorials a very good . my hometrack is ready now,have to set the gate on the right place and so on ,..... and just need the objects like a house. u still work on tutorials?

because I can't get any further now without ur help... :D

Thanks mate.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: MB52 on February 29, 2020, 12:45:06 PMtutorials a very good . my hometrack is ready now,have to set the gate on the right place and so on ,..... and just need the objects like a house. u still work on tutorials?

because I can't get any further now without ur help... :D

Thanks mate.

Thanks mate, I will be getting back on with Tutorials soon. I have been working on Maggiora and nearly have a test version to release as part of the tutorials and then will be moving on with them. I've been busy working on the stadium assets for Big Smooth Ones supercross replicas.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Updated with Part 8 - Advanced texturing - Sorry it's a long one..

carmadesign25

hi tfc. I attacked your tutorial series, but I have a problem at the end of the 2nd tutorial, at the time when I test the track everything is black. what can it come from? thanks

War Cry

I'm trying to get the Tangram data for Thunder Valley to try my hand at learning some of this, but when I zoom in enough to actually get the track, the whole screen is white (besides map lines, which outline Thunder Valley's layout, BTW, that was awesome to see) no matter how I mess with the exposure. Any fix for this? Pic included to show what I mean. Zoom level was 18.02533 when this screenshot was taken, if that makes a difference

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: War Cry on June 25, 2020, 08:21:35 AMI'm trying to get the Tangram data for Thunder Valley to try my hand at learning some of this, but when I zoom in enough to actually get the track, the whole screen is white (besides map lines, which outline Thunder Valley's layout, BTW, that was awesome to see) no matter how I mess with the exposure. Any fix for this? Pic included to show what I mean. Zoom level was 18.02533 when this screenshot was taken, if that makes a difference

I am chatting with a guy on Discord who has the same problem.

Unfortunately it is white for me too. Guess it must be a Mapzen/Tangram issue, you get white when data is not loaded by the look of it.

Might be worth contacting them..

War Cry

Quote from: 𝖙𝖋𝖈 on June 25, 2020, 08:56:55 AMI am chatting with a guy on Discord who has the same problem.

Unfortunately it is white for me too. Guess it must be a Mapzen/Tangram issue, you get white when data is not loaded by the look of it.

Might be worth contacting them..
Thanks for the quick reply. I posted an issue on their Github page. Hopefully they get back to me soon so I can get a solution to anyone in here who may need it

War Cry

Just checked my issue post on the tangram GitHub page, and it has been closed. Apparently, the issue resolved itself and the best guess was the server being hit too hard. Hopefully, anyone that wants/needs to can now use tangram to get heightmap info