• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:29:34 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Ruub's Control Settings Video??

Started by AZDesertRat, March 03, 2020, 11:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZDesertRat

Ruubs,

Since you're one of the best MXB riders I've seen I have to ask, what's the deal with the Rider L/R Lean being mapped to number pad 4 & 6 keys in your YouTube video? Do you have these mapped to specific buttons on your controller, perhaps Xbox Elite??  Just wondering if maybe digital input helps in some way with the 80% min/max smoothing setting (38 sec of video) to get quicker response or something.

Thanks,

Rat

Resolute Kraken

Ruben doesn't use the rider left/right lean - he just maps them to those buttons.  So that pretty much throws the weighting the outside peg theory out the window to go fast.  I've tried not to use lean and I can't do it though.

Sparky783

I dont use Rider lean either really, sometimes for whips and scrubs but it seems to just make me fall off in corners

LastFriday

Its all up to you. I don't use it either as I don't see a need. I have it unassigned because I can seat bounce a whip just fine without using the left/right lean. I will only use it like if im scrubbing real hard or something.

AZDesertRat

Thanks for the info folks, I'm sold:).  I've probably been over using the rider lean to my detriment, most notably on SX tracks where it's critical to hit the 1st jump in most sections as straight and stable as possible. Instead, like an incessant habit, I tend to reach for the bike lean in desperation while trying to correct entry/launch.  The results are never good but my son finds them to be quite comical, LOL. 

Rat

Ruubs

Resolute is right, I don't use rider left/right lean.
In some situations it'll be a plus to use it. However, in most cases it just throws me off. I think it's due to that I'm not used to it.

AZDesertRat

March 05, 2020, 07:40:41 PM #6 Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 07:43:13 PM by AZDesertRat
Gave this a try last night and found I was a lot more stable overall:).  The number of spastic, twitch reactions from trying to over ride like a moron were greatly reduced. In general I felt that I had much smoother more control of the bike, especially coming out of corners.  Thanks!

Rat 

Resolute Kraken

Now, the argument is, should it really be like this?  As a "simulator" should someone who sits stiff upright on a bike be able to have the same control as someone who uses their body weight?

Ruubs

March 06, 2020, 09:43:18 PM #8 Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 09:51:03 PM by Ruubs
Quote from: Resolute Kraken on March 05, 2020, 10:47:03 PMNow, the argument is, should it really be like this?  As a "simulator" should someone who sits stiff upright on a bike be able to have the same control as someone who uses their body weight?
No, someone who sits stiff upright shouldn't be able to have the same control and I don't think that's the case right now.
Using left / right rider lean does give you more control, and I wouldn't doubt it that if we really learn how to use the rider lean properly, we could use it to our advantage. However, I feel like rider left / right lean makes the game way more complex. This might not be a problem, but personally I don't want to spend the time learning how to properly control the rider as I don't have time for it.

There are some problems with the rider though. For one, standing up makes the bike less stable. Obviously that's due to a higher center of mass, and you could argue that we can counter the instability by using left / right rider lean. However, to make the bike more stable when standing up, the tiniest of rider movements are necessary. Due to MXB not being real life, we don't have the same feeling over the bike and terrain like we have in real life, thus using the rider left / right lean to counter the instability is practically impossible.

Resolute Kraken

I agree, standing stability should be improved, you can't expect a player to replicate innate human ability to balance with their thumbs - especially at slow speed.

holtergeist

i understand that two of the fastest guys in the game dont use rider lean, but imo that doesnt mean it cant and shouldnt be implemented correctly. i mean its a simulator and weighting the outside peg is used often in real life. in game, it certainly helps in flat corners. now, on tracks with berms, no you dont need to weight the peg becuase you can just sink into the berm and stay neutral on the bike. i would venture to say, even tho the fastest may not be using it, that does not mean that someone else couldnt implement rider lean to go even faster, or atleats to go just as fast. i think theres a fine line between to much weight to the outside peg and just enough. if you throw too much weight it actually prohibits you from cornering well. but like i said, imo, i think these guys are an anomaly and using rider lean does help in some (quite a few) situations. remember, theres a lot of factors that go into why these guys are fast (line selection, consistency) so that isnt to say that someone else cant be faster through a long left hand flat sweeper while getting on top the bike when cornering.
"hole-shot, pin-it, knock everybody down, go through the second corner, come out in front" -TP199

fridgedollar

Quote from: holtergeist on March 16, 2020, 04:10:46 PMi think theres a fine line between to much weight to the outside peg and just enough. if you throw too much weight it actually prohibits you from cornering well

personally i ride way better while using rider lean. i think this is an issue that people have, using the left stick in small increments to turn but always leaning fully to the left or right. pushing both sticks the same amount feels really good imo and i feel like i can rail corners harder than not using it at all

StoneRider

i do use the rider right left lean EVERYWHERE. like i just can't turn without it. i use it a lot in supercross too. for exemple in the last jump of a rythme section, JS7 style just miss the leg out :P
i think it's all about personnal preference. May be you're more consistent  without using it, but when you really control it, you also can do insane saves with it. Like get the rear traction back out of a corner after getting greedy on the throttle. And THAT's a good feelling :D

AZDesertRat

Well, even though disabling left/right rider lean did seem to help on SX layouts I turned it back on this past weekend.  I just find it does help me on certain corners of MX tracks. EX: long right hand banked turn on Ignite Compound.  I can pull the rider lean stick back and left with a hand full of throttle in 4th gear almost the entire turn, which helps maintain better overall speed.  Also think it helps in tight corner ruts as well if you lean forward but instead of weighting the outside peg you lean into the corner a bit.  Of course, could just be me thinking it helps because I'm so used to riding that way:).

Can't wait for the B14 release to see how the physics tuning notes change things, hopefully in a good way.

Rat

CBM Racing

Quote from: AZDesertRat on March 30, 2020, 04:51:17 PMWell, even though disabling left/right rider lean did seem to help on SX layouts I turned it back on this past weekend.  I just find it does help me on certain corners of MX tracks. EX: long right hand banked turn on Ignite Compound.  I can pull the rider lean stick back and left with a hand full of throttle in 4th gear almost the entire turn, which helps maintain better overall speed.  Also think it helps in tight corner ruts as well if you lean forward but instead of weighting the outside peg you lean into the corner a bit.  Of course, could just be me thinking it helps because I'm so used to riding that way:).

Can't wait for the B14 release to see how the physics tuning notes change things, hopefully in a good way.

Rat

I bet you were disappointed if you are talking about not using the lean button. Now in Beta 14 no matter what you do you tuck the front end at the slightest lean coming into the corners because the stiffened up the suspension so much to get rid of the bounce I don't think they realized how bad stiff front suspension is for cornering. The Pro racers give up so much in the corners just so the can skim the whoops and in order to do that, you have to have the stiffest suspension available. Stewart used to say all the time how he did that and look how fast he was in the whoops only problem here is you can't change it no matter how much ou mess with the suspensionsettings.