• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:57:59 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

MX Bikes beta14 - Feedback Thread

Started by iNsane, April 06, 2020, 09:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iNsane

Thought about starting a feedback thread to gather proper feedback with actual pros and cons instead of "update is shit, game is broken, downgrade it is" bs.

Changelog so far:
MX Bikes beta14 - 2020/4/5:
Mx Bikes beta14 available.

Changelog:
fix: occasional simulation explosion on terrain berms
fix: transition bump between different terrain materials
fix: gearbox simulation
fix: rider dab
fix: bike reset under bridges
fix: occasional freezes in multiplayer
fix: smoothing of replays of multiplayer events
fix: multiplayer bandwidth optimization
fix: shifter lever animation in replays
fix: live screens
fix: rider rendering optimization
fix: tyres grass and sand sound
fix: replay VR mode
fix: transition to settings from the replay VR mode
new: alternate onboard views mode
new: option to export results after each session
new: option to add a prefix to exported results
new: server name in the dedicated server Window title and System Tray icon tooltip
new: the bike selection page remembers the latest bike for each category
new: revised crash camera in VR
new: head tracking linked to rider animation
new: rider dab animation
new: revised Mantua track
new: revised Washington track
new: revised Winchester MXoN track
new: Assen track

🌐 MX Bikes custom content
MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal

iNsane

April 06, 2020, 11:01:51 AM #1 Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:02:48 PM by iNsane | WeekendWarriors Reason: added the youtube video of the material transition / multiplayer notes
So I'll start first. I will try to cover each point individually. This is all my personal opinion, some points may be seen differently.
opinions are rated by: + (good), - (bad), ~ (ok).

Jump to actual feedback to the changes while playing: here.

Opinions On Changes

fix: occasional simulation explosion on terrain berms+ Seems like this indeed has been fixed. I couldn't manage to force an explosion anymore. We'll see how that performs further.

fix: transition bump between different terrain materials+ Definitely fixed. The transition between materials feels way better than it was before. If you want, you can still feel it a bit but it doesn't let the bike really kick anymore.

fix: gearbox simulation- I'm not sure if this is a fix or not. I haven't ridden the MSMs that much in b13c, but it's likely impossible to shift up while being in air and on full throttle (which was possible before and I think it should be kept like that).

fix: rider dab+ Using automatic rider dab feels very good. I haven't noticed any weird behaviour so far.

fix: bike reset under bridges
fix: occasional freezes in multiplayer
fix: smoothing of replays of multiplayer events
fix: multiplayer bandwidth optimization
+ Great fixes, I believe those work well, yet I haven't played multiplayer that much as I don't join sessions hosting un-updated OEM bikes.

EDIT 04/06 15:50 (CET): So I've played online a bit on teeds' (UK) server where I had around 30 ping, philiaN had around 30 ping and some people had pings from 20-250.
Replay seemed very smooth! Way better than it was before, for sure. Watchign someone while on "auto" camera mode feels very solid, even while watching someone with 230 ping.
Smoothness and accuracy seemed great, too. But I wasn't on a more populated server (15+) yet, so I can only rely on my experience with ~5-7 players.
I'll edit this part later on.

fix: shifter lever animation in replays+ Works.

fix: live screens+ Whatever needed a fix there, I think it works. xD

fix: rider rendering optimization+ I'm not sure if it's a rendering optimization in general or particularly focusses onto the rider. But I get nearly 166fps all the time on stock tracks. MXB performs great these days!

fix: tyres grass and sand sound+ Weird at first, but immersive change to the game! Makes a transition between soil-sand-grass-soil very different and you actually feel - and also hear - it.

fix: replay VR mode
fix: transition to settings from the replay VR mode
new: revised crash camera in VR
I'm not a VR player so I can't say anything to that.

new: alternate onboard views mode~ Now something I've tried for some hours now.
The new FPV mode is a great addition to the game! This creates a very different feeling while riding. At first I felt like a newborn when using the mode, but after some laps you'll probably get used to it but it's still difficult to hang on the new mode.
I know it's an experimental implementation to the game, which has its bits and bugs.

1: When doing a backflip/frontflip or a flip in general, the camera "locks" to the bike and looks very weird
(pictures by @Brotendo69 from the discord #bugs feedback channel)
onboard: outside:

2: It could get some smoothing. While riding rough tracks (also even on resetted Assen), this mode feels very difficult and exhausting, as the screen is shaking all the time. It's somewhere immersive, but somewhere very off and just doesn't feel right.

new: option to export results after each session
new: option to add a prefix to exported results
new: server name in the dedicated server Window title and System Tray icon tooltip
+ Those are great additions for us as server hosters. Opens up a bunch of possibilties of managing servers and actual thinking about doing a series soon. Thanks!

new: head tracking linked to rider animation+ I think I can't say anything to this as I'm not sure if it's something for VR or non VR players.
But what I've noticed is the improved "Look around" of the rider while in air (especially in whips). Feels great, if it's it.

new: rider dab animationCan't really tell what's new.

new: revised Mantua track
new: revised Washington track
new: revised Winchester MXoN track
new: Assen track
+ All tracks feel great! Assen is a cool addition to the game. It may be boring for some people, but it's definitely a great addition for newcomers.
The revised tracks are awesome too. Washington feels on point and makes way more fun now. The layout is great and it behaves fine imo. (some people say it got unrideable, I can't rely on that. Feels as always)
Same goes for Mantua and Winchester. Great work here.

Some stuff hasn't been mentioned in the changelog on the news page.
- There've been changes to the UI, especially the revised server browser which seems to bug a lot. It's definitely an improvement to have the world tab now opened at first, but we got rid of an unecessary first click on "browse world" yet our first click now is "refresh" as soon as we open the server browser. This is a very weird "improvement".
The usability is a very positive thing though.

1: A bug which I've noticed while leaving a server and getting back to the browser menu:

This behaviour needs another click on "refresh", then it's back to normal.

2: Some players mentioned in the discord that they get a CTD (crash to desktop) after they get the "Connection Timeout" message and going back to the menu.
For myself, I had one CTD when the game was running and while being in main menu, after I've activated my VPN and clicked on "World", the game crashed. But that could be my fault.
Afterwards I tried to simulate this behaviour again but couldn't achieve a CTD. While trying to join a session without ping (which leads into a connection timeout message) and going back to menu, it freezes first, but then I get the server browser menu as in the picture above.

Game Feedback

The game came a long way. I'm not here since beta1 but joined the fun in beta7, when literally no one was playing MX Bikes. We've now arrived in beta version 14 and I have to say: Wow. This is the most improved beta I've seen until date. Especially while using the new FPV mode the game changes drastically.
Riding the MSMs feels very well, the grip is awesome and the bouncyness got a lot better. Going uphill isn't so frustrating anymore and I don't have to spam my sit key after falling to not loop out while giving full throttle because my player decided to stand up after he fell, he simply uses his AI brain and remembers what he did before he fell.
The behaviour of the bike feels very much improved compared to beta13c. It was a great beta also, with a couple nice fixes and additions. But it had its pros and cons, same as b14 has.
I honestly have more pros for beta14 than I thought. If people hate the beta because of the new FPV, simply don't use it. You're not forced to it.
Giving feedback while using outdated OEMs is an absolutely unhelpful thing also.
The MSMs behave very fine whilst the OEMs have their bugs as they behave completely wrong.

That's the explanation:

I'm stoked in how the multiplayer changes behave, I wasn't able to test it properly because people are still too stubborn to drop their loved OEMs and learn to ride the MSMs and also the new changes which the MSMs have been adapted to.

A little request from us modders:
Work hand in hand with us. There could be pre-builds containing new bike/physics changes, so we (especially Asdrael) would be able to start work on a maybe just-in-time update as soon as a new beta drops. People mostly come for the OEM mods and then bash the update and call it "broken" because MODS(!!!!!!!!!!) don't behave as they've used to.

Furthermore, what happened to the topic "multiplayer testing with players"? Some of us offered to help you (PiBoSo) testing the multiplayer changes and how it behaves. There has been no testing at all. I understand your proudness of your work, but please let us help you. Especially while doing massive changes to the game, you might test it with some veterans before releasing it to the public (which may prevent stress for you and you know, stress makes gray hair).

I might edit this post later on, this was everything I've noticed in around 3-4 hours of testing time.

🌐 MX Bikes custom content
MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal

StoneRider

you said it all...! don't have anything to add. Great update guys thanks a lot !

AZDesertRat

April 13, 2020, 05:22:56 PM #3 Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:32:53 AM by AZDesertRat
After correcting the bike sag (this needs to be addressed in next update), thanks to input by others, and putting in a bunch of laps over this past weekend I'm totally diggin' B14.  Honestly gets better each ride session as I've adjusted to what the physics allow for now.  Overall, the feel is more realistic in a lot of ways.  My only gripe that still occurs once in a while is the sudden front end wash out. Just wish you had time to correct before dumping the bike.  I can save it sometimes with rider lean but does seem random.

BTW - The 250X 2-stroker is a total blast in B14!  By far the most enjoyable stock bike IMO, with it's combo of lighter weight & more power. Strangely, I find it easier to handle in corners because you can take advantage of engine braking (not something you'd do IRL on a 2 stroke). Just have to really control the revs or its larry time:).

Paradox28

Quote from: AZDesertRat on April 13, 2020, 05:22:56 PMAfter correcting the bike sag (this needs to be addressed in next update), thanks to input by others, and putting in a bunch of laps over this past weekend I'm totally diggin' B14.  Honestly gets better each ride session as I've adjusted to what the physics allow for now.  Overall, the feel is more realistic in a lot of ways.  My only gripe that still occurs once in a while is the sudden front end wash out. Just wish you had time to correct before dumping the bike.  I can save it sometimes with rider lean but does seem random.

BTW - The 250X 2-stroker is a total blast in B14!  By far the most enjoyable stock bike IMO, with it's combo of lighter weight & more power. Strangely, I find it easier to handle in corners because you can take advantage of engine braking (not something you'd do IRL on a 2 stroke). Just have to really control the revs or its larry time:).

the throttle response is much better on the 2-stroke than the 4s...such a fun time