• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:29 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

New Computer.

Started by moto28, May 20, 2014, 10:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moto28

Im deciding to crack down and buy a new computer. Still not for certain which one i will buy but the one i have a really close eye on seems pretty legit to me and i was wondering if you guys can help me out and tell me how you think it will perform with most stuff.

Intel Core I7-4820k CPU
2Tb Hardrive
16GB Ram
AMD R9 270 2GB Graphics. ( REALLY want to know if this is good because i want a really good graphics card. Its the main reason im wanting to buy a new computer.)
GIGABYTE X79-UP4 ATX MB ( dont really know what this is..)

All in which for 1289 without monitor or keyboard or anything.

matty0l215

What do you want the pc to do (gaming, 3d modeling, graphic stuff, etc.)?
If you want it just for gaming an i7 is a little overkill, a good i5 would be fine (unless you don't mind paying that is, but the money would be better invested in a better graphics card)
And whats your budget?

moto28

May 20, 2014, 11:52:18 PM #2 Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:56:33 PM by moto28
Gaming. I have no talent at any of that stuff haha. I want to keep it around 1300.  But i do have to get a monitor and keyboard and mouse too so it all just depends i guess. I wont end up buying it until a few months from now and i will make plenty of money between now and then so i may be able to go over that but as of now lets try and keep it at that.

EDIT: I may try and do that sort of stuff in the future though. Im building a custom one off of cyberpowerpc and i have a certain list of things and they will build it for me. I just want the biggest bang for my buck.

matty0l215

May 21, 2014, 12:00:28 AM #3 Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:02:51 AM by matty0l215
Sorry, what currency is that? and then an i7 is definitely overkill, even an intel cpu isn't necessary, i'm running an AMD FX6300 and a HD7950 and i can run anything max and can keep 60fps

Edit: also you don't need 16GB of ram, 8gb is all you need

moto28

U.s. Currency. and wow i had no idea i wouldnt need any of this stuff haha  ::)

How do you think it would do on games like arma? My pc i have right now cant play anything like that and it has 8 Gb Cpu and a Intel Hd Graphics card. I mainly liked the components because im 90% sure every single one of them are double what i have now.

On the website it has a Fps indicator and it can play Bioshock Infinite with maxed out settings and not drop less than 71 fps.  ( Just dont wanna lose that haha)

Im kinda nervous getting the same components when i cant play arma at all because im less than 25 fps the whole time haha  ::)

matty0l215

May 21, 2014, 12:26:26 AM #5 Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:28:07 AM by matty0l215
If your playing games like Arma then an Intel CPU would be best
This might work as a build, its got everything (things like keyboard, mouse and moniter are personal prefrence really but this would be a solid build i think

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard:  ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory:  G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($83.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card:  Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Case:  Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply:  Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($97.27 @ TigerDirect)
Monitor:  Acer V226HQLAbd 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($107.70 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard:  Gigabyte GK-K6800 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($11.85 @ NCIX US)
Mouse:  Cooler Master CM Storm Xornet Wired Optical Mouse  ($20.94 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1127.66
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-20 18:21 EDT-0400)

You might also want to chat to the people over on the build a pc subreddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc). Just tell them what your looking for and they'll tell you what you need. :D

moto28

I tried my best to get all the parts on that list to be built by cyberpower. The end result on there ended up being $1591.

ofcourse it didnt have all the same parts and they will be building it for me and not vice versa. But the way you made it sound sounds like im getting more of a computer for less. A little overkill never hurt nobody  ;)

I think its part of their deal thing they do with the whole package of all the parts combined or whatever.

With monitor and everything with the build it comes with is $1447. Thoughts? :D

matty0l215

I'm from the UK so I'm not to familiar with prices in the US but going on a converted cost, I wouldn't buy it, but that's because I know I can buy all the parts for cheaper and build it for nothing. Buying a PC from someone like Cyberpower has its pros and cons.
Pros- They build it for you, if it goes wrong you call them and they fix it. All parts should have some sort of warranty. Sometimes, if they trying to get rid of older stock (not necessarily bad) they put parts on sale.
Cons- It costs way more than it should, they'll make it seem like its the dogs bollocks (like saying because its got 16gb of ram and a 2tb hard drive its gonna be fast), but unless they tell you more about the parts (for example the spec on things like the ram, hard drives and the monitor) you could be getting a pile of crap. (saying that it is dependent on the company). Also if they use their own custom case there might not be any room to upgrade/expand

If you're uncomfortable building your own PC then there's nothing wrong with a pre-built, especially if you don't mind paying for it. Just keep an eye on the spec and any aftercare/support offered  (Read the small print) and if possible try to do a deal with them (see what they'll throw in or drop the price of, the list price can sometimes be negotiable).

Any questions just give us a shout :)

bearded4glory

If you have a microcenter near you that is the best place to buy motherboard/CPU combos (cheapest).  Their other stuff is a little higher priced (to get back the money they saved you on the MB/CPU) but I think they offer reasonable assembly fees.

If that isn't an option, take a look at a couple videos about building a computer.  Its really easy, the hardest part is picking the components.  If you can put together legos, you can build a computer its like legos with wires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

You can skip part 1 because we can give you advise on a good build in your price range but it may be good to understand each component and be able to at least compare stuff that we recommend.

IDK I would probably try to do a 4770k build if I was in your position, last I priced one out it was $1500 but there are definitely some areas I went more expensive then you have to.  Combine that with a GTX 760 or the 8xx series when they hit and you will be golden for all the newest games and be future proof for quite a while.

moto28

For my first time ever doing anything really big like this with a computer id really rather not attempt to build it myself.

And no there are no computer places like that where i am from.

Im worried about messing up with the building of it and it seems like a big hastle to me to wait on each indivdual part to come in and order and such.

My main question is whats wrong/bad about this build i have now? downgrading the Ram is only going to save about 50 bucks and i feel like 50 bucks to double my ram sounds pretty good.

On the website they have a thing that shows the Fps on modern games like Bioshock Starcraft and things like that on medium high and ultra settings and mine right now can get 71 on ultra on bioshock which was the thing that dropped it the most. I have yet to hit 71 fps my entire life on any computer on anything so to me thats not much of a pain for me to see haha. I really dont care to be in the triple digit fps on every game in the universe on ultra. most people think when their pc's are on 40-50 fps its like the end of the world but believe me when you constantly on 20-30 the only time its the end of the world is when you get to about 8. haha

I feel like if i do really need to upgrade im willing to take out the components already in and do any upgrading necessary.

uollie

Although I built my computer, I'm not real savvy with the knowledge of what is best. But, from experience, if you plan on upgrading your computer even further in the future. I highly recommend you invest in a large case, a really good PSU (at least 750 mw) and go big on a GPU.

Large case because a good GPU will be massive and you want a lot of space in your case so you get good airflow and it's easy to clean and work around. Big PSU because I originally had a 500mw and everything was fine till I upgraded my GPU and my output was something like 550mw and I ended up having to upgrade a PSU and GPU at the same time which sucked.

You can go bargain and get an i5 but if you're anything like me, I'd just go i7 too so you never have to worry about upgrading for years.

For motherboards I just pick a brand I know of and make sure everything I want is compatible with it.

The 16gb of ram is overkill but if you want it go for it. I've never needed more than my 8gb for just gaming and I don't think the day will ever come.

Make sure you get 64 bit OS or the RAM past 4gb won't read. I just stick with windows 7 64 bit.

My rig is over 2 years old now and I run arma 3 with 40+ FPS. My GPU is a huge bottleneck compared to everything still. I use a AMD Radeon 7990, though. It's pretty dated but I'm perfectly content with how it runs my games.

GDUBMX

Moto seriously dude build it yourself. I'm about to start building my new comp. I would never pay for a pre built one as Matty said your paying for old over priced parts,
That motherboard is 3 years old, the graphics card is a lowend one considering the price you'll be paying. Take a look at my build, this hasn't got the same power as your cpu but is good enough for what I need.
Intel i5 4570 3.2ghz cpu
MSI nvidia gtx 770 2gb gpu
As rock extreme 3 motherboard
8gb corsair vengeance ram
Corsair 600w psu
Acer 24inch monitor
Cooler master k280 case
1tb hard drive
I have keyboard, mouse,win7 64.
Thats roughly £750
I've left enough room so I can upgrade in the future, that will probably blow some game out the water, check the VGA performance charts.my card ranks 8 in the top ten cards ever and 6 in the high end performance charts. I play arma 2 and 3. Star citizen and lots more. Watch some video in PC building mate. You'll be fine and happy knowing you saved a fortune.
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I agree with gdub build your own. Although I got a laptop for work with pretty much the same spec as in your first post (better graphics card) and it runs most games great. Though It is an msi gaming laptop. It does me. And yeh its i7 and 16gb but like some people have said it will be good for longer.

matty0l215

The PC I'm using now is the first i built and I'll never look back. http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/ is your friend here, they helped me a lot, just tell them what your budget is and what you want the pc to do, they'll tell you what you need.
Have a look at http://www.logicalincrements.com/ gives you an idea of parts for a build

bearded4glory

Build it yourself because you save money or spend the same amount of money and get a better computer.  As far as everything coming separate, I ordered 90% of my build on Amazon and it all showed up within a day or two of each other.  Watch that video I posted, it shows the whole process so you can see really how easy it is.  You will need to look in the manual a few times to see what slot the graphics card goes in and where all the plugs go to the motherboard but other than that it could not be any easier.  90% of the plugs only go to their specific socket so its impossible to screw it up, the other 10% are for like headphone jacks and stuff that you cant screw up if you tried.  If you  forget to plug something in, depending on what it is, either nothing will happen or it will try to start and realize that stuff is unplugged and tell you about it.

Plus, it is fun and becomes a hobby in itself.

The downside is that you dont have 1 person/company to yell at if something goes out.  You will have to track down the problem yourself (quite easy) and deal with the company who made the component directly.  Other than that there is no reason not to do it.  Hell if you lived by me I would put it together for you for free since I like doing it.