• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:09:29 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Changes to numbers on bikes and gear

Started by Some_Doofus, July 02, 2020, 07:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Some_Doofus

I've mentioned this on discord already but figured it would be better posted here.

After working on a new font for my KTM skin I noticed a few things that I didn't like about the way custom numbers work. First of all, they have no proper shading or reflections that I could see because they're applied as a separate layer on top of the graphics. I thought this could be fixed if the numbers were applied under the normal map of the bike or gear so they show the same shading and reflections. This would integrate the numbers into the skins much better and would encourage people to use these numbers instead of making their own on PS which nobody else can see online.

Second of all, I would like to see more options to customise the position of numbers on bikes and gear when making a font. At the moment we can only change the basic X/Y positions of the numbers in the fonts config file, however we can't change the angle of the numbers and only have very limited control over the spacing between the numbers. Even when exporting the tgas with no gaps between the numbers and setting the spacing to exactly the width of the numbers there is still a large gap between each one in game. We should be able to make the gap as small as we like to make more compact looking fonts.

Another issue, at least with the current KTM model, is that the numbers on the side plates are in different positions on each side (see screenshots). Even though I've spent hours making sure my plates are symmetrical the numbers don't sit in the same place on both sides, meaning on one side the numbers are in the right position and on the other the numbers overlap the logos and such. The obvious fix for this would be to update the model and fix the number placement properly, but it would be good to have the option to change the coordinates of each side separately so we could fix it ourselves.

Lastly, and I'm not really sure why this happens or if it can be fixed, but if you move the numbers too far in one direction they get to a point where they will stretch across the graphics (see screenshots). This severely limits the range of customisation you have, and for any kits with slightly unorthodox number positions (like mine) it makes it very hard to get it right. It would be very useful to see this limit expanded to the entire side plate so numbers can be placed anywhere on them.

Hopefully these are all relatively easy fixes/additions, and I know there are bigger issues that should be focused on first, but this would be nice to see done soon.