• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:31:46 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Light Direction

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, December 27, 2019, 04:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Hope this helps people figure out how to set their lighting!

Big Smooth one3

Great reference to have, thank you!

PizzaChet

I find the coordinate system to be weird. Usually, according to most uses of polar coordinates, the sun north would be Y+, the sun up would be Z+ and as it is now the sun east would be X+. That's just the machinist in me speaking. I don't know how other plotting is set up, but you're doing the lord's work here Fats!
Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Thanks guys, and Chet I totally agree, why it couldn't have been a regular 3 axis I don't know.. Unless it's observed from a different orientation.

giopanda

wouldn't it be better to have azimuth+elevation?
anyway this diagram is super useful, at least we have a clear representation of what those numbers looks like

rainey06au

Excellent diagram.  Also for anyone starting out with track modding. Your lighting parameters need to be set in two files:

• params.ini
  • <trackname>.amb

Mulock22

https://www.suncalc.org/

Annotation 2020-07-13 115245.png

Here's a cool tool I found to help find a realistic sun position for tracks you're making.
You can plug in a location, date, and time. Under "geodata" there is relative sun height, lat/long degrees.
With a little intuitive thinking, you can relate these values to your amb files.

For Example:
Using this ^ image, I got X=10, Y=4, Z=-1 for a pretty good morning shadow

Annotation 2020-07-13 115743.png

Hope this tool helps in future tracks' makers!