• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:39:04 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

New Computer.

Started by moto28, May 20, 2014, 10:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded4glory

All read and write operations are faster.  Fast traditional hard drives read at 120-150mb/s and a Samsung Pro reads at 540mb/s.  Its not just boot time, its every time you load a file...ever.  Its like crack and I am addicted.

Also, if you are building your own system I would recommend going with a unlocked processor.  Later down the road you may decide that you want to overclock and if you don't have a unlocked processor you wont be able to.  I overclocked my 4930k from 3.9ghz to 4.5ghz and it is great.  I got an extra 15% of processing power for $25 (to buy the intel protection plan so they will replace my processor if I cook it).  For $30 more you can get a 4670k rather than the 4570, other than that I think the build is looking good.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Solid state is definitely the way to go, worth every penny

moto28

How do i see whether the processor is unlocked or not? And im going to be on a cruise.. No wifi out at sea or in any other of the countrys ill be going to.

So no one think im just ignoring you guys :D

Also i may just build the computer like it is and maybe add the SD later or is that not possible?

GDUBMX

Of course you can add what ever you want providing your motherboard suits it, which in the ssd case it will. And unlocked CPU's have a k at the end of the model number. You have chosen the 4570 (same as me) which will actually boost to 3.6ghz if it feels it needs to. The 4670k can be unlocked manually to achieve faster speeds. (Lower the life if cpu/increased heat etc) I've purposely decided to opt for the 4570 as at stock speed they are virtually the same cpu. Plus I left it so I can get a higher speed cpu later on by buying a motherboard that permits it. Your machine will run super sweet mate, the card you've chosen is a bomb and the cpu will work well with it. Although moto I've researched the gtx 760/770 range and the MSI twin frozr offers the best cooling. Its the one I've chosen also. 
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

bearded4glory

Quote from: gdubmx on May 23, 2014, 08:45:32 PM
Of course you can add what ever you want providing your motherboard suits it, which in the ssd case it will. And unlocked CPU's have a k at the end of the model number. You have chosen the 4570 (same as me) which will actually boost to 3.6ghz if it feels it needs to. The 4670k can be unlocked manually to achieve faster speeds. (Lower the life if cpu/increased heat etc) I've purposely decided to opt for the 4570 as at stock speed they are virtually the same cpu. Plus I left it so I can get a higher speed cpu later on by buying a motherboard that permits it. Your machine will run super sweet mate, the card you've chosen is a bomb and the cpu will work well with it. Although moto I've researched the gtx 760/770 range and the MSI twin frozr offers the best cooling. Its the one I've chosen also.

1150 Socket has fast cpus so buy once cry once if you are buying a 1150 board.  Personally I would go with a Asus board but there are tons to choose from, if I was building a system today I would do a bitfenix prodigy case, asus Maximus Gene, 4770k, gtx760, samsung evo 250gb ssd, wd blue 2tb storage drive, corsair ax760 psu, and drop in some gskills 16gb 1866 ram in to finish it off.

The 4570 stock clocks are 3.2 boosting to 3.6 the 4670k is 3.4 boosting to 3.8.  So for $30 you get .2ghz stock clock bump but lets say you did a very mild 10% OC you are at 4.2ghz or 16% faster than the 4570.  I say it is for sure worth it, even with the protection plan for $50 to get .8ghz that is cheap (you would probably need to upgrade the cpu heatsink but there are some decent options for less than $50).  The great thing is you can choose to take the .2ghz and leave it like that forever or decide at any time you wish you had a little extra power...Rather than speding on a faster cpu to go in the same socket you can simply OC it a bit and get that warm fuzzy feeling of a new system again (for at least a week haha).

Just my recommendation, there is nothing wrong with the locked processor this is just what I would do.

moto28

Hey guys just got back from my cruise.

Ill look over what all yall said in a bit im just trying to catch up on every other forum post haha

HornetMaX

Spending 1200+ $ on a PC with no SSD is just unacceptable today.

I would throw an SSD even in a 600$ PC.

MaX.

RiccoChicco

Agree, at least to install the OS on it. In addition, SSDs have become not so expensive.

256GB SSD + 1TB HDD is perfect nowadays.

moto28

I may be able to make some extra moneys this summer so i just may buy the SSD.

MotoRogers499

Quote from: RiccoChicco on June 03, 2014, 04:00:30 PM
Agree, at least to install the OS on it. In addition, SSDs have become not so expensive.

256GB SSD + 1TB HDD is perfect nowadays.

256GB is a bit much for an SSD. Rely more on the HDD and get like a 128GB SSD, thats plenty. Unless you plan on running like everything from it. Heck, I have a 24GB SSD haha

HornetMaX

Quote from: MotoRogers499 on June 04, 2014, 01:46:26 PM
256GB is a bit much for an SSD. Rely more on the HDD and get like a 128GB SSD, thats plenty. Unless you plan on running like everything from it. Heck, I have a 24GB SSD haha
At today's prices, I'd definitely get a 256GB SSD, even if you have to get a non-top-notch one : the difference between an HDD and an SSD is huge, but the difference between an average SSD and an excellent SSD is little.

MaX.

moto28

I'm hearing a range of different answers and suggestions on which way to go about this. Can we all just get along and make 1 good way to do it? :D

HornetMaX

Quote from: moto28 on June 05, 2014, 08:11:03 PM
I'm hearing a range of different answers and suggestions on which way to go about this. Can we all just get along and make 1 good way to do it? :D

Uhmm, no, we can't.

General rules: if it's for gaming only, an i7 is overshoot (except for some rare games that are CPU limited).
Do you plan to overclock ? If no you can save some money on the CPU (getting a non-K one) and maybe on the mobo (but I wouldn't).
I wouldn't go AMD for the CPU, but it's certainly doable for a gaming rig: it's just not worth IMO.

SSD: 128GB is a very minimum if you plan to spend 1000+ $. I'd go 256GB for sure.

Motherboard: avoid the "gaming" stuff, it's only marketing most of the time. Same for RAM: get 8GB (16 if you can) no frills with non-hardcore timings (timings make a very very tiny difference, especially for gaming).

Graphics card: after years of AMD (4850, 6850, 2x6850, now 7950) I can tell you my next one will be an NVidia for sure. AMD tends to have worse support for openGL, which is used by all Piboso's games (but nothing else essentially, game-wise). 760 is sweet-spot right now (MSI seems to have the best ones).

Tom's hardware has some nice recap of CPUs,  GPUs and SSDs (updated monthly or something):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html

Personal advice: investing in a 120/144Hz monitor is something you'll never ever regret. And you'll never ever go back to 60Hz ones, IPS or not.

MaX.

moto28

Dont i need a wireless internet reciever aswell?

MotoRogers499

Quote from: moto28 on June 11, 2014, 11:08:36 PM
Dont i need a wireless internet reciever aswell?

Don't you have an ethernet cable?