• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:39:51 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Beginner Setup

Started by ejlll, April 21, 2023, 02:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejlll

I have been messing around with different types of bike setups and none really seem all that comfortable if anyone could give suggestions it would be appreciated. also I have the demo version

PizzaChet

Quote from: ejlll on April 21, 2023, 02:52:45 PMI have been messing around with different types of bike setups and none really seem all that comfortable if anyone could give suggestions it would be appreciated. also I have the demo version
I try to get around 60ish race sag(not static sag!) in the front and 100ish in the rear(those were 250 values i heard and it helps!). Springs and preload change your sag so keep up on that by clicking "Test" at the bottom of the garage page as you adjust.  Then go for riding behavior and comfort. I go down in high-speed compression damping(more clicks) on both ends for softer hits while keeping low-speed damping high(less clicks) to keep from heaving front to back(kinda like sway bars) and tune rebound damping so I don't bounce back off the ground off jumps and bumps while having it free enough(less damping) to follow bumps while turning etc. Nobody likes to share their setups, but that's what I consistently do to stock setups. I ain't no pro and certainly am not arrogant enough to make a "this is what 9000 hours looks like" video like waaaay too many kids now. Good luck and I hope you figure it out!
Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

upnorth

April 26, 2023, 03:06:14 AM #2 Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 03:52:04 AM by upnorth
I might have only 300 hours in this game and if my suspension isn't working I struggle like real life.  Sag is pretty consistent for me on all bikes.  55/105.  I don't pay attention to static.  I usually keep the preload some where +8 and change it +1 or -1.  If I can't get race sag that way I change the spring.  Then ride it stock.  Usually after couple laps I'll know what it needs.  A good tool is to watch replay and see what the bike is doing.  I have atleast couple setups for every bike depending on track type.  A lot of times the rear is bottoming out and sends it to the front so you blame the front.  A lot of times softer is better.  Don't deaden the rebound too much or it will start to pack.  you will jump the gun and go stiff on compression when you should have changed rebound.  i think pizza is spot on by the way

ejlll

PizzaChet

Quote from: upnorth on April 26, 2023, 03:06:14 AMi think pizza is spot on by the way
Thanks! To expound on my method, I also tune out endoing or front-end high behaviors like in rhythm sections etc. by just changing high-speed rebound only. Two clicks in the front, two clicks in the rear in opposite directions to allow the front to pop up more or the rear. Watching side views of yourself in slow motion replays through the whoops, jumps and during braking or accelerating will help you understand if or how changes work or don't. Go!
Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

ejlll

I am looking for a good Gearing setup for the 350 xf for mx club and practice track.

Yetti719

Quote from: PizzaChet on April 26, 2023, 11:11:58 PM
Quote from: upnorth on April 26, 2023, 03:06:14 AMi think pizza is spot on by the way
Thanks! To expound on my method, I also tune out endoing or front-end high behaviors like in rhythm sections etc. by just changing high-speed rebound only. Two clicks in the front, two clicks in the rear in opposite directions to allow the front to pop up more or the rear. Watching side views of yourself in slow motion replays through the whoops, jumps and during braking or accelerating will help you understand if or how changes work or don't. Go!

Heyy I was just curious if you or anyone else wouldn't mind sharing a setup. I tried doin what you said but it's just over my head / aren't happy with my wn final product. I have all the free setups that I cam find via discord or YouTube. But I'm sure someone has better ones out there that would share. I mean, it is a game that like nobody makes a living off of.. so I don't understand all the secrecy on things like a setup.. probably won't receive any but, I'm hopeful!

PizzaChet

January 25, 2024, 06:58:38 AM #7 Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 07:03:03 AM by PizzaChet
Quote from: Yetti719 on January 07, 2024, 06:59:58 AMHeyy I was just curious if you or anyone else wouldn't mind sharing a setup.
This should work for any bikes...
YZ 250 example. Target race sag 100 rear 60 front then...