• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:01:31 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Normal maps

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, October 11, 2014, 11:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Hey  :D

Just wondered if anyone has experimented with normal maps? Using the stock ones that come with the example track everything looks great, but I tried making my own using crazybump? Worked great until I got them in map viewer....

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? same shininess setting as using the stock ones... also tried reducing intensity in crazybump.. 

Other than the odd thing I don't understand.. having a lot of fun with track editing!

Snappe

Check that you have a specular map in the alpha channel of the normal map.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Thanks will double check  :D

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Hey Snappe,

I have generated a spec map and put it in underneath the normal map as an alpha layer, and I'm still getting the crazy plastic look!..

Any ideas?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

In fact, very strange. I re-did, didn't get so much of the shiny as I did before, went in game and don't see ANY shiny??? could it be a mapview thing?

Snappe

It should be alpha channel, not a layer. Nothing wrong with normal / specular in mapview AFAIK!

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Sorry, yes - that's what I meant.

In Gimp, add my normal map which appears blue, create alpha mask, paste the specular map in which appears black and white, and save the whole thing as say - mud_n.tga

Just tried it on another texture and the white shiny is back lol   :-\

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I think being the first time I've played around with normals and speculars that my spec level was waaaay to bright..

I think lol

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Sorry for the multitude of posts... Think I've got em good. What do you reckon? Normal mapped rutts  ;D (and all other surfaces of course ::))

Now on to foliage lol

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Thanks man but I spend waaay to long messing with this stuff lol..