• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:59:20 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

[WorkInProgressThread] Local Track...

Started by Vortex_Damien, December 08, 2014, 06:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortex_Damien

So that track east side ive decided to trash that track because well.. i didnt like it too much and it was mainly just a track to see how jumps ride and what jumps work best.. this track how ever is going to be different.. going to complete it and such.. atm this is what i have i plan on making little side trails on the side so maybe we can try that out with game and its current physics..

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Looking good man, looks really clean, good job so far!

If I have one piece of advice, it would be to allow room off track, unless you plan to do the close off track environment with objects. I have got as far as track done and objects placed and have tried 3 off track scenery objects (as in ground) and haven't managed to get a good lineup yet!

hoping sometime in a future update we might be able to place surrounding heightmap tiles..

keep it up man look forward to seeing progress!

Vortex_Damien

Thanks guys!... yea as for the track scenery i haven't really go that in mind yet.. ive been thinking just make like a local track style look to it
Something like this possibly.. i would have to msg you when i start doing them because i have no clue when it comes to objects and such.. but thanks for the advice man!

Ruubs

Looks good Damien!
Quote from: TheFatController on December 08, 2014, 07:19:17 PM
hoping sometime in a future update we might be able to place surrounding heightmap tiles..
Why not use a 3d model? It's easier to do and it needs less polygons.
Just make a medium poly plane, attach a displace modifier to it, add the heightmap you want for the surrounding and you have a 3d model for terrain. :D

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: Sandbiter on December 08, 2014, 07:55:33 PM
Looks good Damien!
Quote from: TheFatController on December 08, 2014, 07:19:17 PM
Why not use a 3d model? It's easier to do and it needs less polygons.
Just make a medium poly plane, attach a displace modifier to it, add the heightmap you want for the surrounding and you have a 3d model for terrain. :D

It just always seems there is a slight gap between that and my heightmap, no matter how 'exact' everything is..

But saying that I am using sketchup, not sure how accurate it is / I am with the placement of the track object. Also I don't own max, can't afford it, and haven't got time to learn  :(

But I'd love to use objects.  ;D

Vortex_Damien

Alrighty well running into some problems already... ive went threw and made just some basic mask so i can see the track when i throw it in game.. and when i try to open the .map in mapview it crashes.. any ideas? These are my four mask..

Also here is my hmf file

onlyonetone

Make sure your masks are sized to 2048X2048 and make sure your textures are sized the power of 2. 1024, 2048 etc.

Vortex_Damien

Hey Guys Sorry for not posting in a really long time.. i haven't had the time or will to work on a track.. i tried to get the mask and stuff to work on this track the other day and no luck.. so i started on a better track :3... here it is.. this one will be finished!

Snappe

Quote from: Vortex_Damien on March 03, 2015, 04:18:18 PM
i tried to get the mask and stuff to work on this track the other day and no luck..

Try starting with 1 texture, get that working. Then add another layer, get that working. Then add the mask on the second layer, get that working, etc...

Vortex_Damien

Quote from: Snappe on March 03, 2015, 05:17:18 PM
Try starting with 1 texture, get that working. Then add another layer, get that working. Then add the mask on the second layer, get that working, etc...
Will do.. i got them working on the track i just posted... one thing i seem to notice is on steeper faces the forks seem to rebound way to quickly causing pretty much any steep face to be useless.. idk maybe its the way im hitting the jumps.. because i have some steep faces on the track and when i try to hit them at a decent speed in order to clear it i just pretty much wreck up the face.. idk maybe something you guys could take a look into.. here are some of the faces that i currently are having trouble getting over in game...

Snappe

That looks like quite a sharp transition, in the second image at least. Are the jumps realistic? You probably could do with making the ramp longer.

Vortex_Damien

dont get me wrong i can make the face longer.. but say later on someone makes a sx track with a wall jump.. it will be pretty much impossible to hit it without the fork rebound screwing you up. i use to make jumps for mx simulator and these jumps worked just fine with the physic system.. i might have to change up the way i make them for mxb. also with booters and such the faces on those jumps are super steep

but again it wont hurt to go back and make the faces longer.. i personally dont know how  will be able to replicate a booter style jump without making the faces steep but ill try.

Here is the 2nd jump in game

Snappe

Ah yes I see. There is a problem with very steep supercross-style jumps at the moment, so it's best to avoid them until a future beta resolves this.
Sorry about that!

Vortex_Damien

Quote from: Snappe on March 03, 2015, 06:51:57 PM
Ah yes I see. There is a problem with very steep supercross-style jumps at the moment, so it's best to avoid them until a future beta resolves this.
Sorry about that!
no need to be sorry. i went threw on the track and made a bunch of different types of jumps and such to see how the physics work.. thats why i said something about the steepness to try and help you guys out with the development of the game. one thing i love is doing step up style jumps with the current physics.. they flow very well with the bike weight and all that.. ill make more different style of jumps and see if there is any problems going over them and what they could be. if i find anything ill let you guys know