• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:21:04 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Folder Organization

Started by bearded4glory, February 10, 2014, 04:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded4glory

So I know there are a lot of us who want this functionality in MX Simulator so I figure it is worth mentioning.  Judging by GP bikes, there is a folder structure like gpbikes>tracks>individual track folders.  If we could take it one step further and be able to organize them into sub folders within tracks (I guess this would also apply to bikes but seems less necessary) like "Supercross 2014" or "2013 gp tracks"  etc. that would be great.  Ideally then in game the menu system would have that folder structure to it so if you want to ride the 2014 SX tracks you just find that folder and there are all the tracks from 2014 Supercross.

Thanks

acr21

Quote from: bearded4glory on February 10, 2014, 04:00:31 AM
So I know there are a lot of us who want this functionality in MX Simulator so I figure it is worth mentioning.  Judging by GP bikes, there is a folder structure like gpbikes>tracks>individual track folders.  If we could take it one step further and be able to organize them into sub folders within tracks (I guess this would also apply to bikes but seems less necessary) like "Supercross 2014" or "2013 gp tracks"  etc. that would be great.  Ideally then in game the menu system would have that folder structure to it so if you want to ride the 2014 SX tracks you just find that folder and there are all the tracks from 2014 Supercross.

Thanks

I completely agree. Even if the tracks, etc don't show up in their respective folders in game (although that would be ideal) it would be nice if we could at least organize them in the file system as we see fit .

Mace-x

it would be nice to have this function, you could even organize the tracks to train or championships.

DD

If it's possible that you can create your own organizational structure for the content you install (within windows explorer, not the game) and still be able to see other clients with that content or connect to a server with that track, then that's what I want.

Example: Let's say I want to play at Budds Creek with my friend Bill on our mutual friend Tina's server.

My Budds Creek track files are under
User/MX Bikes/Tracks/Motocross/Budds Creek

But Bills Budds Creek track files are under
User/MX Bikes/Track/FUXWITME/Budds Creek

So if the game can match our Budds Creek track files with the servers, no matter how many folders I want to put it in, that would be the bees knees.

This way, people that don't care can just throw everything in their MX Bikes folder, and people with OCD, like myself, can be organized and happy.

8)

Arvoss

I'm pretty sure if they implement folders that we can play with everyone as long as we have the same track. It won't matter if the track is in the same folder or not.

Folders or categories would be a very good idea! :D

MX181

I think how gp-bikes is run is great. Tracks in track folder, bikes in bike folder etc, honestly is greatest idea and I love it

Live by the YOLO - UID #2

22Ryann

I'd like to see tracks have there own simple file compression.  So tracks are not a million files in a folder. I have not check out the GP game yet so maybe its already implemented. Simply a .ter file or .trk or something. this makes life way easier. Then people can upload objects and textures to websites for people to download and use on there tracks, not simply molest there folders. Just ends up messy.

MX181

Quote from: 22Ryann on February 12, 2014, 12:01:21 AM
I'd like to see tracks have there own simple file compression.  So tracks are not a million files in a folder. I have not check out the GP game yet so maybe its already implemented. Simply a .ter file or .trk or something. this makes life way easier. Then people can upload objects and textures to websites for people to download and use on there tracks, not simply molest there folders. Just ends up messy.

Folders are the best way for a track to be compiled and is easy for everyone and there is really no massive impacts from this

bearded4glory

I agree that some kind of compression would be nice, I know there is a split among MXS users/creators if security is necessary or not.  Personally I don't think so but I am not opposed to having the option.  Some kind of compression is nice because there is no way for less computer savvy users to screw the track file up by accidentally dragging something in/out.

22Ryann

Quote from: MX181 on February 12, 2014, 03:26:04 AM

Folders are the best way for a track to be compiled and is easy for everyone and there is really no massive impacts from this

I disagree immensely with you MX181, It's not a security thing, it's a simplicity thing. Considering i have been around since the days of simple folder arrangements like MCM1 had and MCM2 had, it makes the learning curve of understanding the game much easier. Those two games in themselves had bigger communities then anything since, i believe it helped that it was simple track downloads, and skin downloads that helped draw in people and continued for years

When i got into MXsim and the way it had files and folders all over the place it really makes no sense. I'm really looking in the direction of the community and have purchased the domain MXBempire.com and hopefully build a content site for MX Bikes, this was a project i had originally planned for MXsim but the dis-function of files and the way skins and models are implemented along with the immature scene that it seemed like at the time i folded that idea. but seeing MXbikes looks to have a great future i plan on doing the content site, more a personal project to code the project from ground up. Built around the game and what files it needs.

Anyway that's just my opinion.

Ryann,

22Ryann

Quote from: bearded4glory on February 12, 2014, 06:22:29 AMSome kind of compression is nice because there is no way for less computer savvy users to screw the track file up by accidentally dragging something in/out.

Agreed! +

GDUBMX

Anyway that's just my opinion.

Ryann,

Sound awesome Ryann, look forward to becoming a member of your site. I agree the MXS way of doing things with regards to file renaming/placement etc was terrible. After a week of messing with the GP Bikes skinning system i have to state its much much easier and simpler and just all round more efficient compared to MXS. Piboso has already confirmed that MXB will be the same system as this.
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

MX181

I understand were your coming from Ryan and that why I suppose the .saf files in sim were so good. There was a discussion with haggqvist once and I remember him saying he simply .saf's all his tracks for the simplicity for the next user and I guess that what you trying to get at correct.