• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:18:11 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Suggestions from a newb

Started by bassit, April 02, 2016, 06:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassit

Hi there, i will start by saying i only have around 3hrs practice on this sim (beta 4) and have never played any other mx sims, only mxgp on the xbox360.

I have a few suggestions.

Why not include an easier game mode both for the new players and the people that don't want/have the time to put lots of hours in to get good.
Why restrict your sales to only a handful of hardcore players when you have most of what you need already to make this a very popular game/sim (i am not a dev, so i may be very wrong with my assumption), there's no reason that this would spoil the sim aspect if you included settings to setup the for either sim/game.

At install as it stands the settings are not setup for a new player.
I have had to read this forum to find out that it is a bit easier when direct lean is at 100%, i do understand that i have bought into a beta, but again why restrict your sales when a lot of people would just delete the demo after falling off/spinning out the back wheel 100 times in the first 5 minutes of play, please setup the install to have the settings made easier to ride from the off.

Why does the bike have to be moving before i can move my body position ??

Please include some info on what the settings do, again i have had to read this forum to find out information on what each setting does, i didn't find it obvious when changing settings and riding.
Again i know this is a beta and a sim but i feel this will be also be putting off potential new players, it seems to be setup only for the hardcore player.

As a console gamer, i am excited about the possibility of what could be done with this, i was kind of happy with mxgp other than the lack of new tracks, bikes and freedom of movement, all of which have been addressed in this sim.

But at the moment as a newb to this sim, i feel the low speed riding needs some work, maybe an option for a steering damper would help, at the min it is very twitchy at low speeds, it also feels like riding on ice most of the time at low speeds.
I understand this will become easier with practice but at the moment i find it very frustrating and not very realistic at low speeds.

Cheers
Bassit.

BadStar

April 02, 2016, 07:37:36 PM #1 Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:41:48 PM by BadStar
You make some good points.

*it's a simulator, so including a easier mode probably won't happen. 

*I do agree with the need for a in-game preset set up for the typical arcade player to have a better "starting" point.

*Slow speed riding is actually much better in beta 4..just be glad u didn't have beta 3.

*I'm new to the series and am now throwing whips and competing online with some confidence..my point, it didn't take hours but rather some adjusting to the sensitivity of the controls

*maybe the community can upload, downloadable controls/configuration files for diff levels of riding..but keep in mind this game is a sim and is designed in mind for you to adjust to "your" liking.

All in all, I agree with you about a better intro so we don't lose future players.

Let me know if u need any tips, like one major improvement was the dual brakes on one trigger mod.

I have never owned a sim mx game either. I can tell u from riding IRL,  this sim is worth the frustration..3 hrs is just not enough time. I don't even notice the slow riding issue that u do anymore. Hope u learn to enjoy!
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

The community will eventually have some pretty solid tutorials..I'm even working on a couple myself.

Maybe at minimum, the devs can put some links in the in game settings menu that will direct you to quality set-up explanations or something in that respect.

By the way ... when u describe slow speed twitch, it sounds alot like u are talking about beta3.. which beta 4 addressed most of this issue. If you starting on a hill, then yes it's a pain and u have to have finesse with the throttle/steer.

Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

Add me on steam "BadStar" if u ever wanna talk/text about set ups and ride together and "train". Sounds fun to me :)

I helped a couple guys when they first bought the game and a couple days later they were ripping the track up!
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

bassit

Thanks for the reply's Badstar. :)

Looking at your avatar i am pretty sure it was you (smOROURKE) that put me onto this sim over on TT, i have a drz sm too.  ;)

I'm new to pc gaming so no steam account, thanks though..

I am finding the sim pretty frustrating at the moment but i am sure i will get there eventually.

If you could tell me how to do the dual brake thing that would be great, i did see something about it over n the piboso forum, but tbh i am also finding it a bit frustrating having to search 2 forums (this and piboso) to find out the information i need.

Cheers
Bassit.

BadStar

April 02, 2016, 10:48:17 PM #5 Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 02:20:34 AM by BadStar
Yea, that was me on TT. Glad I inspired you, that was the point..I had a feeling a few of u guys would have interest.

Your right Geo for sure, the dual brake thing is not at all necessary. But for beginners it makes for less controls to worry with, 2 birds with 1 stone kinda thing...but no doubt it is time spent practicing that will make this work.

Bassit.. let me be honest

I bought mx sim and fell over alot and hated it.. deleted it for good.
I then bought mx bikes bc I could tell it was special and it was so dang hard and annoying to learn..I was just like u with the settings.. I couldn't figure them out, searched the forum endlessly argggg! I HATED not being able to grasp mxbikes but knew if I could just "get it", I would love it.

Well, I more than love it..it's sooo good man.

Anyway, one of my goals is to always be around to help bc I would really be missing out if I would have deleted it like I did mx sim.

We can pm each other on this forum and I can help! I'm not the knowledge around but I know what I had to do to go from being where u are to what u see in my utube :)

It really only took a couple days to figure out the finesse of the controls and some settings adjustments.

Pm me anytime
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

Btw, steam is free and if u ever download it add me, we can get things figured out. That way we can get rollin on the sm's..

I am hoping someone makes an actual DR-Z400SM model, bc I know there is a massive community and they would be happy to join us :)

Your proving my point and I was just showing a "paint" I am working on.
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

PiBoSo

Quote from: bassit on April 02, 2016, 06:18:09 PM
Hi there, i will start by saying i only have around 3hrs practice on this sim (beta 4) and have never played any other mx sims, only mxgp on the xbox360.

I have a few suggestions.

Why not include an easier game mode both for the new players and the people that don't want/have the time to put lots of hours in to get good.
Why restrict your sales to only a handful of hardcore players when you have most of what you need already to make this a very popular game/sim (i am not a dev, so i may be very wrong with my assumption), there's no reason that this would spoil the sim aspect if you included settings to setup the for either sim/game.

At install as it stands the settings are not setup for a new player.
I have had to read this forum to find out that it is a bit easier when direct lean is at 100%, i do understand that i have bought into a beta, but again why restrict your sales when a lot of people would just delete the demo after falling off/spinning out the back wheel 100 times in the first 5 minutes of play, please setup the install to have the settings made easier to ride from the off.

Why does the bike have to be moving before i can move my body position ??

Please include some info on what the settings do, again i have had to read this forum to find out information on what each setting does, i didn't find it obvious when changing settings and riding.
Again i know this is a beta and a sim but i feel this will be also be putting off potential new players, it seems to be setup only for the hardcore player.

As a console gamer, i am excited about the possibility of what could be done with this, i was kind of happy with mxgp other than the lack of new tracks, bikes and freedom of movement, all of which have been addressed in this sim.

But at the moment as a newb to this sim, i feel the low speed riding needs some work, maybe an option for a steering damper would help, at the min it is very twitchy at low speeds, it also feels like riding on ice most of the time at low speeds.
I understand this will become easier with practice but at the moment i find it very frustrating and not very realistic at low speeds.

Cheers
Bassit.

Thank you for your suggestions. It is very interesting to read a different point of view.

1. The physics is still in progress. We are working to make it more realistic and hence, hopefully, easier to use. We are also working to improve the helpers, like the automatic shift.
Beta5 will also allow to set front and rear brake on the same input.

2. What default settings do you suggest, in addition to direct lean at 100%? By the way, someone already reported that console games feels like direct lean set to 100%.

3. ???

4. We already planned to add tooltips to all the items of the user interface. However, this task requires a lot of time, so it will probably not be done while the project is still in beta stage of development, so patience is needed in the meantime  :-[
As the purchase page states: "WARNING: MX Bikes is in BETA stage. Please do not purchase it unless you want to actively support development of the simulator."

BadStar

Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

bassit

April 03, 2016, 01:32:59 AM #9 Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:37:03 AM by bassit
Again thanks for all of your reply's.

geofanatec.
As badstar stated, anything to make things easier to begin with and i do understand i will get better with more time spent riding.

BadStar
I have no intention of deleting mxb, i will persevere and understand practice makes perfect, i also don't hate it and understand it is a beta, a beta with a lot of potential.

I will be in touch, thanks for your help. :D

PiBoSo
I was trying to offer a different point of view, a view from a console gamer that is very new to any mx sim, i hoped to make that clear by my opening line.

I don't know how much time or resources you have to spend on this sim but i was suggesting another set of more intense trainers or similar for the less hardcore gamers, something more automated, easier to play, you have a great product why limit your audience.
I wasn't meaning to have a go at the physics with my first suggestion, there are lots on here that love the way it plays now, but after reading your reply i understand what i was suggesting is all physics based.
I don't and couldn't suggest any new settings, i am still trying to get my head around it all, most console/casual gamers wouldn't bother trying to get there head around it all, personally i have been wanting a more flexible mx game than mxgp so i am willing to invest my time.
I fall off a lot and need all of the help i can get, sometimes leaning forward as i take off is where i need to be, as it is now there is a delay as i have to wait until the bike starts moving before the rider will lean forward.
Ok, but maybe a section of the forum for those of us that are new, a section with tooltips, where to place new bikes, tracks,  helmets etc....at the moment this info has to be searched for, i only found this information (which was actually relating to gpb) after a search on the piboso forum, i had no success when i searched this forum.

Cheers
Bassit.

bassit

BadStar

I'm trying to think why your slow speed take off's are causing issue.. I know it's not perfect but it's much better than u know lol.

Thoughts

Sit/Stand- is an important feature than only sims have. Mxgp does not. Maybe sit on take off? I know it helps keep the wheel planted for sure! Unfortunately when u have yet to move u will be unable to see if u are sitting but 1 hit of the sit button and I promise u are sitting..

1st person- easier for me..and now I even ride POV@100.

Controls- Learn to not touch them, lol. The less u touch them the better u will be. I sit, lean forward and lightly gas it until I'm rolling if im on a hill.. on flat ground, I sit, lean forward, pop clutch and brap away

take wide turns until u get better

I'll keep thinkin..

, keep us posted on any other issues. I am putting together a mod install vid also.

Until then, go to main forum page..
Then decide on
Tracks
Paints
ETC

Each section has some tutorials, also mxb central
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

Oh and Geo/fats/gdub are a pile of knowledge, so just ask bro!
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

GDUBMX

Hey Bassit and welcome!

Have you moved your stability slider upto 100%? also, you can try 2 things here. Turn Auto Rider left/right lean ON or you can turn it off, see from my experience with this beta you dont even need to use rider lean left and right unless you want to whip or scrub/ correct huge mistake. also i have found that turning Auto Rider Dab off, and not even pressing the dab button helps massively aswell. It seems it has no use anyway, for some reason riding/whipping is much easier with it off than on, plus there is zero difference in the way you ride or laptimes. Perhaps its bugged?

Like Badstar said, Sit/Stand it vital. Some basic MX fundamentals are as follows.. Sit on the smooth parts of the track or where you want maximum traction, sit exiting turns for maximum rear wheel traction. Sit on some jumps, but remember to stand as you land otherwise you could bottom the suspension out and be kicked off the bike. Legs act as suspension, so consider standing where things get rough and landing big jumps. ALWAYS stand and upshift to say 3rd/4th in whoops, dont touch the rider lean forward/back. line up straight and just smooth throttle control, whether you pin it and let go if the bike starts to dance or just roll on the throttle half way and just gently skim through them. always lean forward round tighter turns, this will help with turning. Also we are currently in the works of a beginners guide to the best suspension setup over at www.mxb-central.com to help with everyones suspension, as you know with motocross, suspension is the most vital aspect on the bike. also you can find other tutorials on the site too.

http://www.mxb-central.com/tutorials/

http://www.mxb-central.com/tutorial/skinning-tutorial-and-templates/ < How to import skins to game.

Also this video applies to beta 3 but will still help you
https://www.youtube.com/v/vYP7y7jS1e4
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

bassit

Ill start by saying i spent another 3-4hrs on testing last night and made a fair bit of progress, i started to clear the jumps on forest and even managed to save a few offs.
I think i was too heavy handed with the right stick and it was causing weird stuff to happen, it seems that the right stick is as sensitive as the left stick, this helped a lot once i had figured this out.
I came from mxgp where you hold the right stick.

Badstar
Your comments helped a lot  :D. i put both brakes on the same button and this helped a lot on hojes but i'm not too sure on the mx tracks.
Again, thank you!!

gdubs
Thanks for the reply and the links.  :)

Slider at 100%.
Auto rider dab i turned off last night and it seemed to help.
Auto rider lean on, both of em, ill leave em on until i can put in full laps consistently.

I had a play on the 2 stroke 250 on hojes and i have to say that is worth the asking price alone. ;D

I apologise if my op came across as purely negative, i do think this is a fantastic sim, just with a steep learning curve.
Ill be honest this morning i have woken up full of a cold and the fever i had yesterday was probably where most of my frustration came from. :-[

I do still think a beginners section on the forum would be of help to new players and may gain more sales, to a console gamer there first impression may be that the sim is unplayable and no where near ready yet.

Cheers
Bassit.