• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:59:50 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

SketchupHelp??

Started by BadStar, May 10, 2016, 05:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadStar

If this is in the wrong place for any reason, I will happily to remove it..

*Obvious disclaimer - first mod/track in my life so every program I am learning as I make the track..(head explosion)

I am hoping for a little insight on "power of 2" regarding objects in sketchup
(I understand it for heightmap/textures etc)

I am realizing making 2d tree's and tree lines is easier than expected. Take some pics of tree, alpha channel them and import into sketchup as you can see in my pic..

Q1: How do I know this is power of 2, along with any other objects in sketchup?
Q2: Is it literally the resolution of the file I imported?

Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

Mace-x

the "power of 2" is refering to the resolution of the texture, not to the object in sketchup, multiply 2x2 as much times as you want and you get power of 2 textures, ie. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, etc.
the ideal is to use a square texture aswell, so a 512x512, 1024x1024 or similar would be nice.

Yes, it is the resolution of the image  :)

BadStar

Ok great, That's what I wanted to know. Thanks man!
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

-In gimp edited the trees and the size is power of 2
-exported as a .tga (thought I read they have to be tga for scenery/backgrounds etc)
-imported into sketchup, placed on terrain..
-exported as .fbx
-ran through .edf converter.. and I get a read error that says treeLine.png is invalid or non-existent (I don't get this because I exported/imported as a .tga, it was originally a .png but didn't think that would matter.  (same error if I actually use the png.. and of course nothing loads into mapviewer.)

Any thoughts for a super newb or a link for a tutorial that will touch base on this (i dont care about collisions at this point, just want to see my 2d tree line in game)
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

How did you import it into SU?

When I do 2d trees I normally import as image I believe, select .tga from the extension list, import it, place it, explode it then make it a group and export.

If it's saying it's a .png you can check that in the folder SU creates - Say you saved it as 'scenery.dae' it will create a 'scenery' folder next to it including the texture.

SU will only convert your .tga to a different format if you click 'make unique texture' from the context menu (right click), and even then it will only make it a .jpg. That makes me think it's actually a .png.

In Gimp when you export, you need to first select .tga from the extension drop down and then manually type .tga on the end of the file, otherwise it might cause problems.

BadStar

I will have to check it out when I get off work later.. but making them a "group" is something I was not doing..maybe this is an issue?

Pretty sure I am exporting to .tga correctly from gimp.. I will need to go check and see what the texture is in the scenery folder like you mention.

I have the su trial at the moment, so I am able to export to .fbx for the next couple weeks I guess.

SU Import: I import "use as image" and select the .tga from my desktop.. loads in fine, stretch and place how I want it.
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Yeah I just use SU Make so I'm not sure about exporting directly as FBX, I normally just do .dae and convert using Sket2FBX.

Grouping won't make any difference, it's just my workflow.

So yeah, see what file turns up in the scenery folder.

BadStar

its a jpeg in the scenery folder.. (confusing bc the error is png)
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime