• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:12:57 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

External Server Admin Port

Started by thisisdef, April 08, 2016, 02:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisisdef

A nice feature would be adding an admin port or way to communicate with the server. I'd like to send commands to the server without using the server interface. What do people think of this?
Quote from: PiBoSoIt's actually an ambitious project, and at some point, hopefully sooner than later, it will show its full potential.

HornetMaX

Already requested on GPB forums a looong ago.

Even better if an admin tool is provided. But if only the port/api is provided, I'm sure someone will be able to create the admin tool.

thisisdef

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 08, 2016, 10:38:04 AM

Even better if an admin tool is provided. But if only the port/api is provided, I'm sure someone will be able to create the admin tool.

I have an online contol panel already, just waiting on an the api.
Quote from: PiBoSoIt's actually an ambitious project, and at some point, hopefully sooner than later, it will show its full potential.

PiBoSo

Quote from: thisisdef on April 08, 2016, 08:01:43 PM

What would be better? A UDP port to send messages, or shared memory, or something else?

thisisdef

Quote from: PiBoSo on April 08, 2016, 10:05:11 PM

What would be better? A UDP port to send messages, or shared memory, or something else?

MX Simulator has it so you can communicate with the server on 127.0.0.1. Something like that would be cool, especially with the server responding. It doesn't have to be from an external machine for security purposes. I've never dealt with shared memory before. I assume the machine could communicate with the server process in a way though. I think a way to connect to the server locally may be the most friendly for less experienced users. I'm more for the port just because that's what I'm more familiar with, but I'd love if more people gave input, or here your side to see what you're more comfortable with.

PiBoSo

Quote from: thisisdef on April 09, 2016, 01:34:53 AM

MX Simulator has it so you can communicate with the server on 127.0.0.1. Something like that would be cool, especially with the server responding. It doesn't have to be from an external machine for security purposes. I've never dealt with shared memory before. I assume the machine could communicate with the server process in a way though. I think a way to connect to the server locally may be the most friendly for less experienced users. I'm more for the port just because that's what I'm more familiar with, but I'd love if more people gave input, or here your side to see what you're more comfortable with.

A port would for sure be more versatile because it would allow for remote administration.

thisisdef

Quote from: PiBoSo on April 09, 2016, 01:52:57 AM
Quote from: thisisdef on April 09, 2016, 01:34:53 AM

A port would for sure be more versatile because it would allow for remote administration.

+1. I'm sure you could implement this fast since you already have something relative like live timing.  :D

PiBoSo

Could you please list the admin controls you need?

thisisdef

Quote from: PiBoSo on April 09, 2016, 02:22:53 AM
Could you please list the admin controls you need?

1. Server broadcast
2. Broadcast to player
3. Mute chat for riders in race
4. Kick rider
5. Ban rider
6. Manage race formats (Supercross, Motocross, Straight Rythm, supermoto, etc.)
7. Server controls (Start practice, restart practice, change practice time limit, etc.)
8. Reload server when config file is changed? (Not sure if possible).
9. Reload plugins? (If possible)
10. Add player to white list or blacklist and reload
11. Force player vote.

Anything that helps manage the server as an admin without having to join in game.
Priority for me is top to bottom in this list. Not sure if I missed anything since this was on the fly.
8)

HornetMaX

@PiBoSo: I'd post the same question on GPB and KRP forum, you'll have many with experiance running GPB/KRP servers (e.g. dibu, ALEale, NapalmNick etc).

Port for sure, remote admin is mandatory.

Few things jumping to my mind (on top of what thisidef said):

• Password protected access for the admin (just like the live timing)
  • Possibility to query for server current status (e.g. practice/quali/warm-up/race in progrerss)
  • Server to send to the admin client the list of available tracks, so that the admin client can pick one from a drop down list.
  • Server restart