• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:38 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Track editing questions/help

Started by Ruubs, April 24, 2014, 01:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

That makes sense.. I removed the thickness variable from a couple of layers to test and instead of creating ruts it removed an entire tile of texture!

I guess the problem is really using the drawn on ruts approach, as that later is at the top it cuts through to a light later.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Not sure, will have a further play tonight. So what dictates the overall amount of deformation (depth) ? The tht file?

PiBoSo

Quote from: geofanatec on May 04, 2015, 03:04:48 PM
Interesting......so thickness is not depth! Lol

It is the width of the rut?

So ya removing a whole tile makes sense. So a value of .5 would remove half the tile.

.25 a quarter, etc....

Thickness IS depth.
With 0 thickness the rendering engine assumes there is nothing left in the layer to draw.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

So I don't want to flog a dead horse here, or sound stupid, but after spending a couple of evenings messing around with this, couple of questions..

1. How do you control how fast a track deforms, is it dependent on surface type? i.e soft soil deforms faster than compact soil?

2. Is the overall depth of deformation determined by the thickness of all layers? i.e if you have three layers all at 0.25, it will only ever become 0.75 deep?

Again, sorry if this sounds ignorant but I'm having trouble deciding if this is the way it works from testing..

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on May 05, 2015, 12:41:25 AM
So I don't want to flog a dead horse here, or sound stupid, but after spending a couple of evenings messing around with this, couple of questions..

1. How do you control how fast a track deforms, is it dependent on surface type? i.e soft soil deforms faster than compact soil?

2. Is the overall depth of deformation determined by the thickness of all layers? i.e if you have three layers all at 0.25, it will only ever become 0.75 deep?

Again, sorry if this sounds ignorant but I'm having trouble deciding if this is the way it works from testing..

1. Each layer deforms based on the material set in the physics file
2. Thickness of the base layer is ignored: there is no deformation limit, but as the terrain is compacted it requires more and more force to dig further.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: TheFatController on February 27, 2015, 12:03:08 PM
Quote from: PiBoSo on February 27, 2015, 11:12:12 AM
Quote from: TheFatController on February 27, 2015, 09:48:04 AM
Me again :) didn't want to start another topic!

Is it currently, or will it be possible to add additional light sources? I.e for night maps with stadium lighting.

Thanks

Not yet.
Night lighting is in progress.

;D Great news! Thanks.

I didn't want to start a new topic for this, but am working on a night track..

Can we expect to be able to add additional light sources in Beta 4?

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on September 28, 2015, 12:42:34 AM
Quote from: TheFatController on February 27, 2015, 12:03:08 PM
Quote from: PiBoSo on February 27, 2015, 11:12:12 AM
Quote from: TheFatController on February 27, 2015, 09:48:04 AM
Me again :) didn't want to start another topic!

Is it currently, or will it be possible to add additional light sources? I.e for night maps with stadium lighting.

Thanks

Not yet.
Night lighting is in progress.

;D Great news! Thanks.

I didn't want to start a new topic for this, but am working on a night track..

Can we expect to be able to add additional light sources in Beta 4?

No, sorry.
Night lighting should come in Beta5.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

PizzaChet

Quote from: PiBoSo on September 28, 2015, 11:04:21 AMNight lighting should come in Beta5.
Well Fats, I'm willing to wait 'till then to see TNMX have the day and night versions! Starting to get my jimmies rustled for the next release. :)

Quote from: YodaIf no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

It would be damn good to have a night version of TNMX ey PizzaChet?  ;D

New question..

Sorry PiBoSo, I know you have more important things to do than answer my repetitive track editing queries!

I'm having trouble with tree textures when using images to make 4 sided + shape trees, still haven't managed to get them to work properly.

So, this time using an image I've made myself which has no blurry antialiased edges, instead just full opacity blocky texture or nothing.

If I use the texture name 'CK_tree.tga', I get horrible transparent halo's that show through all other instances of that texture i.e other trees.
If I don't use CK and instead 'tree.tga', of course I get the render order problem but I get no transparent halo's..

What does CK do specifically and is there any other way of doing this?

Thanks for your valuable time once again  ;)

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I'm convinced there's a conspiracy here :D..

I've tried 2 more things.. Tried a plugin for gimp that apparently fixes white halos around alpha images.. Works great. Blends the colour out from inside the image size in the alpha channel so you get coloured semi transparent pixels instead of blank ones. Doesn't help in game though.

Now the strange thing is some of the tree faces work fine, it only affects random faces and random directions which makes me think it's nothing to do with the texture.

Wondered if it might be something to do with Sketchup so spent the afternoon watching Geo's tutorials and tried Blender.. Same problem :(

I've also noticed that this happens with the stock supplied 3d grass.

Any ideas? thoughts?

Also, the trees you guys use on your tracks are the same in that they use flat images with alpha.. How do you make yours? What program, process?

MUD

I haven't messed with models in this game yet, but it sounds like it could be the cull order is backwards.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Maybe Z-Culling / Occlusion Culling / Z-Buffer..

Don't know enough about how this stuff works to say it's definitely that but looking at similar problems in other games these are all suggestions.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

October 11, 2015, 03:35:19 PM #104 Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:37:14 PM by TheFatController
OK so back to the drawing board, tried pre multiplied alpha with no joy, also tried a bunch of different 'fixes' from Blender forums with no joy.

I've taken a couple of screenshots to highlight.. I don't want to make statements about something I don't know much about so I'm not going to, but from an educated guess I don't think it's a texture problem. As the first screenshot shows the texture is fine on one face but not another, even though it's the same file / material in Blender.

The second screenshot shows what I think to be the same problem with the 3d grass. The edges (although a LOT softer / blurrier / more antialiased than other textures) appear to allow bleed through from textures behind while ignoring others.

Perhaps it's ignoring any scenery.edf modeled texture and skipping straight to the terrain / background / sky texture.

So please, any ideas.. Is there a special method I should be using to add these tree textures?