• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:14:52 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Text Guide - How to make a Replica Track

Started by philiaN, April 29, 2016, 02:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philiaN

April 29, 2016, 02:22:12 AM Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 09:04:35 PM by philiaN
IMPORTANT: Always use the latest Track Tools

You need Track Tools and Example Track Files
Download Link: http://forum.mx-bikes.com/index.php?topic=89.0
Wiki: http://docs.piboso.com/wiki/index.php/MXB_Track_Creation_Guide

Replica Track Building - Folder Setup

Create Main Folder "Trackname"
   Create Sub Folder "track" (this will be the final track folder)
   Create Sub Folder "misc"

Copy into Main Folder:

Copy from /mxb_track_example following files:

map.bat
params.ini
track.hmf
track.tht
trh.bat
trh_params.ini

Copy from /TrackTools/Terrained following files:

terrained.exe (map.bat is using this application)

Copy from /TrackTools/mapview following files:

mapview.exe
mapview.ini (you have to start the mapview.exe once to get the .ini)

Edit the map.bat and change the following Code example/example.map to track/track.map
Edit the trh.bat and change the following Code example/example.trh to track/track.trh

Replica Track Building - Heightmap

There are many ways to do a heightmap. (Earthsculptor, L3DT, any Image Editor, etc.)

1. Create the "Terrain/Heightmap" Base Layer 

Geolocation of AMA and MXGP 2017 tracks: http://forum.mx-bikes.com/index.php?topic=1946.0

https://www.youtube.com/v/m91V9rCSrLo

credits to TFC

Remember: Scale your heightmap (and texture in this case) to 2049x2049px

2. Create a rideable Heightmap

Open your Base Layer with Photoshop or any other Image Editor

Use following Settings

1025x1025 or 2049x2049 or 4097x4097
Modus Greyscale 16bit

And add the Gaussian Blur Filter (i used a radius of 8 )

Save as

Save as Basic_Track.RAW (Select IBM PC)

Tip: Get high quality textures
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1ybnwqbU8eh4calticN85wK-3D2s&ll=50.87130771273404%2C10.4515265&z=6

Click green to change to satellite and red for printing the map.

Step 1: Zoom in Step 2: Map print Step 3: Select A3 / your format (it depands on your track) / and picture -> Print and save the image. Your track isnt fully on the image? You can zoom out or maybe it helps to move the map! Then overlay the new texture on top of your old one. (Scale/rotate until it fits)

3. Create a simple texture mask

Create the mask with the following Settings:

2048x2048
Modus RGB 8bit

Create 2 Layers

top layer = track path (use a hard brush / color black transparency 100%)
bottom layer = white
(third layer) = use your texture as reference for the track path (find the widest track section and use it for your brush size - forced width!)

white will use the dirt.tga and black the mud.tga

Tip: Hold Shift (straight lines) for making the track path

Create the Alpha Channel (Channels -> select Red (or Green or Blue doenst matter) duplicate and name it Alpha 1. Turn on the RGB channel.)

Now it should look like this:

Save as mask_mud.tga

Tip: You can also downscale your masks to 1024x1024 (maybe even 512x512 should be enough, not tested yet)

Copy the /maps folder from the example track

Now you have all Textures you'll need, of course it is possible to change them.

4. Edit the track.hmt and track.tht

Now you should have the "heightmap".raw and "mask".tga

Open the track.hmf - delete all the code and copy/paste the following Code as base - same for the track.tht

Make sure to use your size_x/z and scale (you got from the TFC's Geolocation Tutorial)

samples_x = 2049
samples_z = 2049

data = Basic_Track.raw

size_x =
size_z =
scale =

Copy/Paste the following Code into the track.hmf

num_layers = 4
layer0
{
map = maps/mud_treads.tga
frame1
{
map = maps/mud_treads_wet.tga
}
repetitions = 50
}

layer1
{
map = maps/mud.tga
frame1
{
map = maps/mud_wet.tga
}
repetitions = 50
thickness = 0.14
}

layer2
{
map = maps/dirt.tga
frame1
{
map = maps/dirt_wet.tga
}
repetitions = 60
mask = mask_mud.tga
thickness = 0.06
}

layer3
{
map = maps/grass.tga
repetitions = 40
mask = mask_grass.tga
thickness = 0.03

grass
{
max_density = 25
height = 0.2
height_diff = 0.1
width = 0.25
width_diff = 0.1
texture = maps/grassfx.tga
densitymap = mask_grass.tga
}
}

To Check if it worked: Run the map.bat (takes a few seconds) and open with mapview.exe - load the .map file

Open the track.tht

Copy/Paste the following Code

num_material_layers = 3

material_layer0
{
material = soft soil
}

material_layer1
{
material = soil
thickness = 0.01
}

material_layer2
{
material = compact soil
thickness = 0.005
}

Tip: You can also make a folder for your masks - only change the code to mask = masks/mask_mud.tga

Run the trh.bat (takes only a second)

5. Create the Track file

Open TrackED.exe

File -> Load the track.trh (To Move hold the Z key and move the mouse - To zoom in and out use the mousewheel)

Tip: You only have to do the Centerline and the Pits for testing

Go to Centerline -> New
Rightclick -> Add Segment -> Straight -> Move it to the end of a Curve (click and drag) (the created segment will be spawn in the bottem left corner)
Rightclick for adding the next segments

Important:*3 You have to Start with a Straight and End with a Curve and they have to connect (better zoom in to check if they are connected)

Finish the Centerline

Centerline -> Save as track.tcl
Centerline -> Merge
File -> Save -> Overwrite track.trh

Reopen TrackED -> Load track.trh (It should have now a Red line)

View -> Race Data -> Select MX Bikes

Create the Start / Finish line (Long)

Create the Splits (Click Splits for autogenerated)

Create Checkpoints -> Add

Select Pits -> Select Absolute -> Create the Pits (X and Z)

Create the Pitboards

Select Grid -> Select Absolute -> Create the Grid

Save -> into track as track.rdf

Update the .MAP and .TRH File

Replica Track Building - Final Folder Files

Copy/Paste the following Files from mxb_example_track into the Final Folder (track)

example.ini (Edit with Notepad and change the name etc.)
example.amb
clearsky.edf - cloudysky.edf - rainysky.edf - background.edf

Copy/Paste the following Files from your Trackfolder into the Final Folder (track)

track/track.map
track/track.trh
track/track.rdf (should be already saved into that folder)

Go sure that the .ini .amb .map .trh .rdf have the same name.

Important: If you change anything on the Heightmap etc., you have to update the .MAP and .TRH File, also you have to  merge the centerline again!!
So, Run map.bat -> Run trh.bat -> Open TrackED -> File -> Load the .trh File -> Centerline -> Open... -> select the .tcl -> Merge  -> File -> Save -> Overwrite the .trh File

Otherwise it could be that your Bike is sinking into the Ground.

To speed up the map.bat process, use the following values

shadowmaps_scale = 0.3 / default 0.2
shadowmaps_supersampling = 1  / default 4

Copy/Paste the Final_folder into MX Bikes/tracks

Test the width of your track!

Problem List

map.bat doesn't create a file -> go to *1
trh.bat doesn't create a file -> go to *1

Cant load the Track/Game Crash -> go to*2 or *3
Bike is sinking -> go to *2

General Stuff

Textures must be in TGA or BMP truecolor format. Size must be power of 2 (256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096). Textures can be rectangle ( for example: 256x512, 1024x64 )
Heightmap etc. +1 Pixel (1025x1025, 2049x2049 etc.)

Main Track folder

Final Track folder - without objects

6. Prepare your Base Terrain Heightmap

Tip: To work with your tested width in Earthsculptor you can do something like that:

Open Earthsculptor

File -> New

Import -> Heightmap image

Select the Brush Tool -> Set Texture -> Select your Texture (Make sure pure white is also selected, otherwise your texture will be colored)
->
Use following Settings to paint your texture on the track:

Now go back to the Terrain Tool and use following Settings:

Now save the Project into a new folder -> Save as... -> /ES Projects/ -> Track_Base_01

6.1 Terraform Tool

Select the Terraform Tool -> Level (Strength 1, Softness 0)

For this section i used the Stairs technique to prepare the track. Simply build stairs from the side you want to be on the same level.

->

Then use the Ramp Tool to even the stairs and smooth it. (Tip: Try different Strength's and Softness' to understand how it works and try different Radius' for the edges)

Tip: Activate the Grid in the Terrain Tools to better see what you are doing.

Now it should look like this:

For sections like this: Use the Ramp Tool (Strength 1, Softness 0)

It's possible that you have to lower or raise certain sections of the On/Off Track. You can use the Raise/Lower Tool or simply the Grab Tool. Just figure out how to use these tools.
Remember you can also combine those Tools.. e.g. Level an area and than grab this area to raise/lower it.

So this is my final Base layer: You see there aren't really any jumps etc.

Save again and Export -> Heightmap image

Remember: You can always make adjustments to this base layer to effect areas!

7. Create your Jumps

There are different ways to make Jumps. You can do it in Sketchup (how i did it), L3DT, Earthsculptor (i can't recommend this for a beginner, you'll need some good skills. Otherwise it's to time consuming and frustrating) or do it with gradients (Photoshop)

With the following Technique you will know excatly how the Jump will look like.

https://www.youtube.com/v/CUSQWQ2ynQE
credits to TFC

Tip: When you save the Jump make another save from the Front, so you know how the jump looks. (Camera -> Standard Views -> Front)

7.1 Place your Jumps in Photoshop over the Base Layer

Open the Jump and Copy/Paste it into your heightmap, always use a seperate layer for each jump. (you dont have to select the jump) Now select Negative Multiply and use Strg+T to scale, place and rotate the jump. Then bring the Opacity down to X% (you have to test it ingame, which % is the best.)

->

Tip: When you are done with your jumps duplicate your jump folder and merge the layers (Strg+E)

Apply a Gaussian Blur Filter -> Blur Filter -> Gaussian Blur (something between 1 - 1.7 should be enough, dont use too much)

Tip: Is the ramp to steep? You can cut the jump into two/three layers than scale the jump(+landing) just a little bit.

Tip: Organise your Project (specially the jumps/ruts)

7.2 Create your Berms/Ruts

Make a new path for each berm! Use the Path Tool to create the shape of your berm. Right Click -> Create selection -> Radius 0 -> OK
Make a new Layer for each berm! Now fill it with white -> de-select the selection -> Filter -> Blur Filter -> Gaussian Blur (use X radius / i used 2.7 for outside and 2.3 for inside berms -> trial and error) Bring down the Opacity to X % (trial and error)

-> -> ->

Tip: The thin sections of the berm isnt really noticable later ingame. So make sure your wider berm is helping to get into the straight again.

7.3 Create the Roughness

Tip: Use different layers, you will need seperate layers later for the texture masks!

Create the natural bumps:

Create a new layer -> Simply use a soft white brush and paint some dots -> Gaussian Blur -> Lower the Opacity
Create a new layer -> Simply use a soft black brush and paint some dots -> Gaussian Blur -> Lower the Opacity

Create the braking bumps:

Create a new layer -> Simply use a soft white brush and paint some braking bumps -> Gaussian Blur -> Lower the Opacity

Result:
->

Tip: You can always use a Mask to adjust your Roughness (soft brush, transparency ~25%)

philiaN

April 29, 2016, 02:38:42 AM #1 Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:48:13 PM by philiaN
^Project Folder^

Download-Link: https://mega.nz/#!sc0mFZyA!eS_AkY8x3HzYQTm5UmSzSGLkqGC2MLOxb3hx1aiilMk

Important: Download and update the Track Tools

Now you can start to make the jumps, berms and that stuff.

BadStar

April 29, 2016, 04:14:23 AM #2 Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:39:35 AM by BadStar
thank you for this text version.. you have already solved my issue with map.bat!!

The track tools that I downloaded only has mapview, I don't see the .ini
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

philiaN

April 29, 2016, 04:46:12 AM #3 Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:48:27 AM by philiaN
Start the mapview.exe once

GDUBMX

Nice Phil, this will certainly help with creation that's for sure.
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

ryanmx25

Hell ya thanks man! I tried converting one of my track from sim into this yesterday but I couldn't get the .map file to create but I'll give it another go today. I know I'll have to rework my whole track to cater mxbikes but it shouldn't take too long, we need some more tracks :D kinda weird to use a different games ingame editor to make terrain for this game but I love how it works :P

BadStar

It's already helped me a ton.. it helps clear up the vids a bit (vids + text is great).

I was able to get everything working in map view and is nice to see my terrain load. I am crashing to desktop when trying to load in-game but who knows I'll make it work :)

Thx again
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

philiaN

Sorry, i forgot an important thing, go to *2, this should solve your problem :)

StoneRider

ryanmx25

I am getting a crashing game also, I followed the step, updated my .map .rdf .trh and all that. The only thing i really skipped off on was the .rfd, I didnt place the start/finish or any checkpoints because the coordinates werent showing up in my tracked, i dont know if thatd cause my problem. Here is a pic of my folder https://gyazo.com/5dcbd9c5a8c7e8acf2c5b39c29fe3216 Hope someone can help.

philiaN

You did this Step? I cant tell you if you need to do all the Steps from TrackED, but you have to do the Centerline.

Important: You have to Start with a Straight and End with a Curve

Finish the Centerline

Centerline -> Merge

and did you do this Step?

Important: If you change anything on the Heightmap etc., you have to update the .MAP and .TRH File, also you have to  merge the centerline again!!
So, Run map.bat -> Run trh.bat -> Open TrackED -> File -> Load the .trh File -> Centerline -> Merge  -> File -> Save -> Overwrite the .trh File

ryanmx25

Quote from: philiaN on April 29, 2016, 11:32:47 PM
You did this Step? I cant tell you if you need to do all the Steps from TrackED, but you have to do the Centerline.

Important: You have to Start with a Straight and End with a Curve

Finish the Centerline

Centerline -> Merge

and did you do this Step?

So, Run map.bat -> Run trh.bat -> Open TrackED -> File -> Load the .trh File -> Centerline -> Merge  -> File -> Save -> Overwrite the .trh File

I got it working 8)Thanks for the writeup dude! I still can't see coordinates in my tracked, it seems there is another subgrid covering where geo's was

BadStar

Thanks to geo and fats for the vids and a HUGE thanks to you for step by step in text! (helped me not lose track of steps)

I am able to load my terrain and ride around on it!! thank you good sir! Now I can start a project for a hopeful future addition to mxb tracks!
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

June 13, 2016, 10:22:53 PM #13 Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:27:04 AM by BadStar
I have to give you the most credit for me finally making a track that works! The vids are great but hard for me to go back and check over the steps to make sure all is in order.

Would you ever consider doing an objects text tutorial?
Mon-Fri
Sat/Sun Anytime

Asdrael

Honestly, objects are the easiest but most time consuming part.

Sketchup 3D Warehouse, learn to refine this (not difficult if you do basic stuff really) and spent a bit of time spent on textures. Poof, voila, objects. Use the "Corner Block" trick to check scale beforehand for safety.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord