• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:16:13 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

2001 - 2008 RM 250 (WIP)

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, June 12, 2016, 10:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

OK!.. Think the first UV template is just about finished, just gotta add cables.

I've tried to add everything that I like (and hopefully you guys will like) to be able to customise in one image rather than as it is with the stock bikes where if you're new to skinning you really have to hunt around through onboard and engine (is it engine.tga? bike.tga? something)..

So we have plastics (shrouds and fenders), fork tubes, lower fork guards, seat, number plates, swingarm, bars, bar pad, grips, exhaust, tank, airbox (can be stickered as IRL) and will add cables.

Then it's on to frame and engine.. and all the damn small fiddly bits lol  :-\

𝖙𝖋𝖈

June 28, 2016, 02:10:02 PM #121 Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:11:46 PM by TheFatController
Wonder if anyone can help with some Blender advice?

I'm having trouble figuring out how to have more than one UV map for my mesh. I've joined everything together so I can see all pieces on my UV layout at once when it edit mode and somehow (don't ask me how) I've managed to create another UV image. So far I have 'livery' and 'parts'. As you can see above I've done livery (with a few additions to completely fill out the template) and I've tried unwrapping the frame to the parts UV map by selecting it as the 'active UV map' from the UV editor window.

When I view livery I see what is supposed to be there. When I view parts I see my frame, but also the entire livery UV map too..

I've searched through about an hour of tutorial videos on UV's and can only find people explaining the principals, not going into too much detail. If anyone can help that would be great, or link to a tutorial that shows how you should do it.

Am I supposed to assign a different material to the parts I want on a separate UV map?  :o

pacopastor34

June 28, 2016, 03:05:30 PM #122 Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 03:16:12 PM by pacopastor34
To have separate materials in game it should be separated .tga in order to do separate .shd. To have separate UV you have to have separate objects. I can explain you better this afternoon by steam. I can tell you what I do or what I should do but sometimes I am soooo lazy to do it.

I'll be at home in just 1 hour.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Thanks mate, I might not be on until tomorro2 but I'll try and catch you

𝖙𝖋𝖈

So you separate objects into say the two templates I want, unwrap them, then the mesh uv's remain no matter what is separated, joined etc.. ?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Thanks geo, yup I've done that once with the grips, same both sides and no need to texture both individually so unwrapped and copied the mesh over to the other side with damo's help.

So if I join mesh then uv's might meet rearranging but if I move a mesh into another object the unwrap should be preserved.

pacopastor34

Quote from: TheFatController on June 28, 2016, 09:07:27 PM
Thanks geo, yup I've done that once with the grips, same both sides and no need to texture both individually so unwrapped and copied the mesh over to the other side with damo's help.

So if I join mesh then uv's might meet rearranging but if I move a mesh into another object the unwrap should be preserved.
At least in 3D Max UV Unwrap is preserved if you detach a part of a mesh to an object.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Well thanks guys, will get back on it tomorrow and see how it goes ;)

𝖙𝖋𝖈

June 29, 2016, 11:31:38 AM #128 Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:48:26 AM by TheFatController
Seem to have the 2nd UV up and running so thanks Paco and Geo :)

However, being new to UV maps I'm having trouble working out the best way to do the frame.. Any ideas?

This is what I have currently, I've selected the faces I want to be most important to paint the frame and pinned them, then unwrapped the spare which are inner:

pacopastor34

Quote from: TheFatController on June 29, 2016, 11:31:38 AM
Seem to have the 2nd UV up and running so thanks Paco and Geo :)

However, being new to UV maps I'm having trouble working out the best way to do the frame.. Any ideas?

This is what I have currently, I've selected the faces I want to be most important to paint the frame and pinned them, then unwrapped the spare which are inner:

I can't remember how I did those parts in blender. In 3D max I used a Unwrap mode named PEEL. You mark the seams on the edges you want and the software do the work. It's like if you pelt an animal.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

yeah and in blender you mark seams, but nothing I do seems to give me the symmetrical result I want.. No matter what both sides are always a different shape / size because I guess the frame has a different notch on one side.

Vortex_Damien

Always apply rotation and scale before you unwrap it.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Hmm.. now I'm just confused. No tutorial I've watched has mentioned anything about rotation or scale, is this for unwrapping using projected?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

June 29, 2016, 01:05:35 PM #133 Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:29:18 PM by TheFatController
Oh I think I see, apply scale and rotation to an object that's been resized or rotated in object mode so those changes apply to the mesh directly.. I did it, not sure it made too much difference though will keep trying to figure it out.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Finally finished UV unwrap!.. I think  ;D