• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:03:52 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Frame Rate and Physics

Started by Wedgewood, November 10, 2016, 03:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wedgewood

I'm just wondering what role framerate plays in providing accurate physics and how many physics samples does it take per frame?  The reason I ask is because in the other simulator that I play, X Plane 10, they take a determined amount of physics models per frame(can be changed by user from 1-10 samples per frame)  to provide accurate real time physics, however when the frame drops below a certain fps than the simulator is not getting enough physics model samples to provide accurate physics and unintended things might happen in the game and distance vs time may be slightly skewed with low fps.  In X Plane 10 faster moving and reacting vehicle require much more physics models per frame than slower moving vehicles to provide accurate physics. 

The reason I ask this is because I try to get the most realism out of this Sim but I also like to turn up the eye candy(high res texture and with grass, etc.) sometimes and want to make sure that I'm not hindering the physics model by a lower than ideal framerate.  In X plane they recommend at least 20+fps for more lethargic aircraft and 30+ fps for smaller faster aircraft in order for the physics engine to properly perform.  With the amount of movement in the bikes and the fine detail in the bumps and dirt I can't help but think this Sim would require a very high FPS to perform realistically.  At what low framerate will the physics start to suffer, what is the ideal framerate range, and are there any FPR counters built into the game?

PiBoSo

The physics frequency is fixed at 500hz, regardless of framerate.