• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:54:56 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

2d object fade angle.

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, November 07, 2016, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I've noticed in some other games / sims that use the 2d trees in the X shape do it cleverly so when you're looking straight on at the edge of one of the planes it becomes invisible. As you move around the tree it fades in to view and as the other faces edge becomes closer that starts fading away, giving a great illusion of a fully 3d tree.

Would this be possible, or something you might eventually consider adding? Possibly tagging it on to objects that use the CK_TREE prefix?

PiBoSo

Quote from: TheFatController on November 07, 2016, 01:50:38 PM
I've noticed in some other games / sims that use the 2d trees in the X shape do it cleverly so when you're looking straight on at the edge of one of the planes it becomes invisible. As you move around the tree it fades in to view and as the other faces edge becomes closer that starts fading away, giving a great illusion of a fully 3d tree.

Would this be possible, or something you might eventually consider adding? Possibly tagging it on to objects that use the CK_TREE prefix?

Could you please link a video showing the effect?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

That might be hard to find.. Let me look, if I can't find anything I'll try and capture some footage.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

HornetMaX

𝖙𝖋𝖈

March 27, 2021, 01:42:14 PM #5 Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 01:44:09 PM by 𝖙𝖋𝖈
Well I stumbled on this old thread while searching for something else, and it made me wonder if I'd imagined it.. So I searched YouTube and found this little gem straight away..

I think it's a really effective way of doing 2d trees.. As we all know I'm sure - You really don't need 3d trees to make trees look good in MXB, and while you're racing you 100% don't need 3d trees from both a visual and a performance point of view.

Would love to see something similar added at some point!