• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:10:08 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Custom rider model and animations talk

Started by Ruubs, November 13, 2016, 05:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruubs

While I was working on Southwick I had my first encounter with the marshalls and it's files. It seems like it has a normal model, just like every other track object (.EDF). It also has a .ANM file which, I guess, are for the animations. Now I've been trying to find out if we are able to replace these models and/or animations. I couldn't find a whole lot, but I've found something!

I couldn't find much using google. I also assume the .ANM file is Piboso specific and can't really be made by the community. I hope I am wrong and that we can make our own animations, because that'd be awesome. The only thing that looked promising to me was this: http://gillius.org/cg3/anmfile.htm

When googling on 'GP Bikes custom animations' I found this topic though: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=3337.0

It seems like that we are able to make our own animate-able models. We need a rigged model for that. Unfortunately Manu has some problems with his own models. I'd love to try it as well, since I've lowpoly human models that are rigged.

If we'd try and make our own rider model / marshall models we'd need the names of the bones from the original rider model / marshall model. Does anyone have any clue how all the bones are called? I couldn't find them in the .EDF or .ANM files.

BUT on the GP Bikes topic Ptrshpt says that Piboso has linked all the rider leaning (so front / back and left / right) to the rider animation. So that means that it's a lot more difficult to get a rider in game while keeping the same rider physics. I'm curious if it even is possible to do. Why did Piboso link the physics to the animation?

I've searched around on the GP Bikes forums as well and saw a completely different theory (http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1291.msg16671#msg16671). The posts states that the rider model doesn't have bones in game. Here's the quote.
Quote from: Klax75 on July 11, 2014, 01:47:46 PM
I've animated things and rigged things before in the past.

And honestly I don't think you need a rigged model. You'd need the rider model, and then rig it yourself. Do your animations and put it back in the game.

Since animations are pre-set, they aren't calling up any "bones". So if I hit the button to raise my riders hand. GP Bikes is just calling up a out put animation of my riders hand raising up. The are no bones in the rider in GP Bikes.

When I would animate, my rigged model was only used for animation and adjustments. But I could out put the same model with animations without the rigged bones. That is all that GP Bike's is doing. The rider isn't actually on the bike, it's just a visual reference to where the invisible weight distribution sphere is moving around on the bike. So if I move my riders body left, GP Bike moves the invisible sphere to the left, then call's up, the canned animation of the rider moving left. Same when the rider falls off the bike, it calls up a canned animation that is exactly the same, he falls on his butt then raises a hand to his head.

You'd need the rider model, rig it the way you want. Do your animations, then out put those animation. When you out put a animation the rigged bones do no come with it.

Would be kind of pointless having a fully rigged model with bones, then using canned animations in GP Bikes. Since GP Bikes is using the saved animations, not the actual bones of the model to move it.

The only thing GP Bikes has to know is where your hands are attached to the bike and where your feet are attached to the bike, when in game.

Another way to look at it is. When I am making a new paint for a bike. My Photoshop file may have 100 layers in it, different masks, different layer values. My layers and folders in side my Photoshop file could be named whatever. But when I save it as a Targa it flattens it out, I can no longer adjust anything because the layers are gone. But my out put file looks the same as my Photoshop.

A animation out put file would be similar. I just need the rig for adjustments. Once the animation is out put, the rig and or bones does not need to be with the model anymore.

Where as a rag doll model, you would have a very basic set of bones. So the model can interact with it's environment. But we don't have that in GP Bikes. :)
I still have hope that it actually is possible to make our own rider model / animations. At least for the marshalls.

What are your thoughts?

GDUBMX

Anyone made any head way with this? id love to see some actual real fox instinct boots.. hahah :D
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

Jibbz

Ruubs

Quote from: Jibbz on April 25, 2020, 12:17:45 PMNo news about this "project" in 2020?

There is some recent news actually.
Thanks to the latest tools, it is possible to create new models and animations.

The best choice is to use your own skeleton so you dont depend on Piboso's models and animations. However, you need to know how each animation is named. You will also need to modify the rider gfx.cfg to set the names of the bones correctly. AFAIK, this is all done using 3ds max 2010 and Piboso's export plugins.

I haven't tried it myself yet because I have been busy with other projects, although Manu did make a new rider model for GPB. You can find his Discord here: https://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=6923.0

Pictures from Manu himself, casual and female rider model:

Jibbz

Oh, that's quite nice! Is it worth trying for a beginner in 3D?

I don't have much time to spend on it but im quite interested about how it works.

I feel like the current rider needs a bit of a update regarding the proportions and the "realistic" feel...

Thanks for the quick answer

Ruubs

I'm not sure how difficult it is to get a rider model + proper animations in game, although I can imagine it being a difficult task, especially since there is 0 documentation about this.

Manu has told me that the whole process is too long to explain, although I'm sure if we have specific questions he'd help us out.

If I were to begin with this myself, I'd start with trying to add new marshals, as I think that'd work the same as the rider, but not as hard to implement due having way less animations and not having to worry about physics.

Jibbz

Alright thanks for your thoughts and sharing your experience.

I hope someone will try to work on something like this, im curious about how far can it go...

dolutattoo

May 07, 2020, 01:06:10 PM #7 Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:17:06 PM by dolutattoo
Hi guys,

Here is what i was able to find in the game files :

Do not take care about the hierarchy, i didnt found any parenting thing, just names and file titles.
Sorry for the french comments ("-- comments")

####################################
Rider MXB research - Animation files :
#####################################

rider_stand.anm = profile menu idle (background scene)
rider.anm = leaning sitting
rider2.anm = leaning sitting back
rider3.anm = leaning sitting forward
rider4.anm =  leaning standing forward
rider5.anm = leaning standing back
rider6.anm = leaning standing forward
rider7.anm = throttle
rider8.anm = torso lean sitting
rider9.anm = right foot start
rider10.anm = Raise Arm
rider11.anm = LookBack Left Sitting
rider12.anm = Look Left
rider13.anm = detach left
rider14.anm = Nac Nac
rider15.anm = Look Up Left
rider16.anm = leaning sitting jump
rider17.anm = leaning sitting back jump
rider18.anm = leaning sitting forward jump
rider19.anm = torso lean standing
rider20.anm = no feet an standing
rider21.anm = tearoff an standing
rider22.anm = Dab Left

Rider MXB research - Bones names research in rider_stand.anm (idle animation in background scene) :

Point01

riderRIG_Root

riderRIG_Pelvis -- bassin

riderRIG_LeftHip -- hanche gauche
 riderRIG_LeftKnee -- genou
 riderRIG_LeftAnkle -- cheville
 riderRIG_LeftToe -- ??????????
 riderRIG_LeftKneeTwist -- torsion genou gauche
 riderRIG_LeftHipTwist1 -- torsion hanche gauche 1
 riderRIG_LeftHipTwist2 -- torsion hanche gauche 2

riderRIG_RightHip -- hanche droite
 riderRIG_RightKnee -- genou droit
 riderRIG_RightAnkle -- cheville droite
 riderRIG_RightToe -- ??????????
 riderRIG_RightKneeTwist -- torsion genou droit
 riderRIG_RightHipTwist1 -- torsion hanche droite 1
 riderRIG_RightHipTwist2 -- torsion hanche droite 2

riderRIG_Spine1  -- colonne vertebrale 1
 riderRIG_Spine2  -- colonne vertebrale 2
 riderRIG_Spine3  -- colonne vertebrale 3
 riderRIG_Spine4  -- colonne vertebrale 4

riderRIG_Neck1 -- cou 1
 riderRIG_Neck2 -- cou 2

riderRIG_Head -- tete

riderRIG_LeftCollar -- collier

riderRIG_LeftShoulder -- épaule
 riderRIG_LeftElbow -- coude
 riderRIG_LeftWrist -- poignet
 riderRIG_LeftThumb1 -- pouce 1
 riderRIG_LeftThumb2 -- pouce 2
 riderRIG_LeftThumb3 -- pouce 3

riderRIG_LeftPink1
 riderRIG_LeftPink2
 riderRIG_LeftPink3

riderRIG_LeftIndex1
 riderRIG_LeftIndex2
 riderRIG_LeftIndex3

riderRIG_LeftMiddle1
 riderRIG_LeftMiddle2
 riderRIG_LeftMiddle3

riderRIG_LeftRing1
 riderRIG_LeftRing2
 riderRIG_LeftRing3

riderRIG_LeftElbowTwist1
 riderRIG_LeftElbowTwist2

riderRIG_LeftShoulderTwist1
 riderRIG_LeftShoulderTwist2

riderRIG_RightCollar
 riderRIG_RightShoulder

riderRIG_RightElbow

riderRIG_RightWrist

riderRIG_RightThumb1
 riderRIG_RightThumb2
 riderRIG_RightThumb3

riderRIG_RightPink1
 riderRIG_RightPink2
 riderRIG_RightPink3

riderRIG_RightIndex1
 riderRIG_RightIndex2
 riderRIG_RightIndex3

riderRIG_RightMiddle1
 riderRIG_RightMiddle2
 riderRIG_RightMiddle3

riderRIG_RightRing1
 riderRIG_RightRing2
 riderRIG_RightRing3

riderRIG_RightElbowTwist1
 riderRIG_RightElbowTwist2

riderRIG_RightShoulderTwist1
 riderRIG_RightShoulderTwist2

riderRIG_armour

pay2021

I can do this, I'm actually testing, but you probably don't want to see the results  ;D

Manu

June 27, 2020, 10:39:52 AM #9 Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:45:50 AM by Manu
Quote from: dolutattoo on May 07, 2020, 01:06:10 PMHi guys,

Do not take care about the hierarchy, i didnt found any parenting thing, just names and file titles.

rider7.anm = throttle
rider10.anm = Raise Arm
rider12.anm = Look Left
rider14.anm = Nac Nac
rider22.anm = Dab Left
There are still more names for animations. You have only named the one in the first row. Each .anm contains more than one animation. You will have to search for the names of the animations that are close to the keyword "point01"

pay2021

Quote from: Manu on June 27, 2020, 10:39:52 AM
Quote from: dolutattoo on May 07, 2020, 01:06:10 PMHi guys,

rider7.anm = throttle
rider10.anm = Raise Arm
rider12.anm = Look Left
rider14.anm = Nac Nac
rider22.anm = Dab Left
There are still more names for animations. You have only named the one in the first row. Each .anm contains more than one animation. You will have to search for the names of the animations that are close to the keyword "point01"

this are the ones i find

rider_stand.anm profile menu idle (background scene)
rider.anm leaning sitting Head lean sitting
rider2.anm leaning sitting back head lean sitting back
rider3.anm leaning sitting forward head lean sitting forward
rider4.anm leaning standing forward head lean standing forward
rider5.anm leaning standing back head lean standing back
rider6.anm leaning standing forward head lean standing forward
rider7.anm throttle
rider8.anm torso lean sitting
rider9.anm right foot start right foot stop left foot start left foot stop both feet start both feet stop
rider10.anm Raise Arm Frustration Celebration Sitting Celebration Standing Complaint Standing
rider11.anm LookBack Left Sitting LookBack Left Standing LookBack Right Sitting LookBack Right Standing
rider12.anm Look Left Look Right
rider13.anm detach left detach right slide
rider14.anm Nac Nac
rider15.anm Look Up Left Look Up Right
rider16.anm leaning sitting jump Head lean sitting jump
rider17.anm leaning sitting back jump head lean sitting back jump
rider18.anm leaning sitting forward jump head lean sitting forward jump
rider19.anm torso lean standing
rider20.anm no feet an standing
rider21.anm tearoff an standing
rider22.anm Dab Left Dab Right

pay2021

more, 3 animations for now, working helmets, working boots (re-done), hands follow bars

GreenLenux

If you want a custom graphic kit, feel free to contact me with Discord: GreenLenux#2125
Want to support me? You can buy me a coffee here!

pay2021

July 02, 2020, 12:39:14 PM #14 Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:07:32 PM by pay2021
I have it working VERY DECENT, all the basics animation works, the hands follow bars, leaning front back, sitting, look back, detach, even the nac nac works, the rider is perfectly playable right now.

But! i have some issues, like dab left dab right, i cant make it work and is look like there are transitions betwen animations or maybe is the lenght, i have some "cuts" betwen them, maybe is the way of the animation is, i wish to know if they are correlatives in the poses, for example. rider4.anm "leaning standing forward", have 60 frames the rider start stand frame 0 then go foward frame 60, the next one is rider5. anm "leaning standing back", same, rider standing then go back, the next is AGAIN "leaning standing forward", here is, this should be the inverse as the first one? beacuse is to make the rider back to the pose? why is repeated?

Another one is the Dab, i made one animation, rider starts stand then dab to right, frame 0 to 30 then dab to left, frame 31 to 60, this won't work at all, the rider do not dab at all, but the files, the sintaxis, the scripts, the paths, looks fine.

Those are the only issues, if i can solve that, the rider is actually ready, and i complete the knowlege of make a custom rider.

I try to make a clip so everybody can see the progress.