• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:08:51 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

General VR question

Started by NorthEastMX, December 27, 2016, 03:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthEastMX

December 27, 2016, 03:41:29 AM Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:52:30 AM by mxcobra
I played this game a little with the oculus DK2, and then sold it..  Just about ready to pull the trigger on the CV1.  But i just happen to get not 1 but 2 of the cheap phone VR headsets for Christmas. Two different models, but both are decent quality. I have been doing some testing & it seems the support for this type of VR is growing.. With goggle cardboard & the cost coming down in general.  I stumbled across a site that tracks face/head movements via webcam. If mx-bikes could tie in support for this. It would make VR available to everyone at a fraction of the cost.. Here are a few I found:

http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm
http://www.free-track.net/
https://github.com/opentrack

For the VR software , I found this that works pretty well:

http://kinovr.kinoni.com/

The Oculus CV1 is $600 .. You can get some of the cell VR sets for under $50..  This is one of the headsets i got : https://mergevr.com/

Just some food for thought, And I really think this game is AMAZING in VR.. And way ahead of all other MX games !!

Mace-x

actually i have a cheap vr headset and a pretty decent cellphone, would be nice to use them with mxb somehow!

NorthEastMX

Quote from: Mace-x on December 27, 2016, 04:04:16 AM
actually i have a cheap vr headset and a pretty decent cellphone, would be nice to use them with mxb somehow!

Exactly my thought mace-x !! Everyone has a decent cell phone. I figured why not open up the discussion.. maybe it's something piboso can take a look at.. it maybe easy to modify the oculus .dll file and make it work..

CSchmied986

I have the Galaxy S7 Edge with VR, which i thought was cool, but if it is something you can do, The Oculus is truly not only in a different league, it's a different sport. There is a reason that they take so much PC power and cost the price. Also, while that idea may work, you will never get the image quality out of a phone that will out of an Oculus or a Vive, which will make it fun for minutes but just painful for entire gaming sessions, not to mention how the Oculus or Vive tracks your body, truly makes you feel a part of what you are doing. I was nervous when i spent the cash, but it for me has taking gaming from just a video game to an experience. But don't take my word for it, see if you can find a place to try one! Or if you have any PC requirement Q's needed to use a real VR, I can give my advice. Just food for thought.  ;)

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I've done this a few times guys, using my 2 year old lg g3, a Knox v2 cardboard headset, and a Windows program / Android app called Trinus VR.

Pros: the experience was very good, much better than I thought it would be. Trinus uses USB tethering so the latency was very low, although my mxb graphics settings were very low it didn't seem to matter too much as long as my resolution was bumped up a bit. The FOV needed massively increasing to give it a proper sense of scale but once everything was set up, even on my 3 year old gaming laptop it performed exceptionally.

Cons: I wasn't able to find any way of tracking head movement, not sure if you can do that with Trinus or if any 3rd party software works in conjunction with it, but this meant sometimes it worked fine, sometimes I was resetting my head position every 5 seconds which was incredibly annoying. This method also doesn't allow for tilt, you can look up and down, left and right, but lacking tilt made it feel a bit less immersive. I was throttled by my pc spec, and my phone would get very hot after 10 minutes but that is a well known g3 problem. Obviously graphics settings needed to be lowered in order to get the best fps possible, which is more a shame than a problem, and my low spec laptop was the cause. Trinus VR's interface is clunky and unintuitive. It took me a good couple of hours to get everything set up the best I could.

I'd still recommend it, as for a fraction of the price it's great fun. I'm due a new phone in a month or two so will be trying again then, especially as there is now some link between oculus and gear vr.

If I could afford a rift and a pc capable of running it I'd have one, but unfortunately I have way more important things to spend out on :(

CSchmied986

Quote from: TFC on December 27, 2016, 09:35:22 AM
there is now some link between oculus and gear vr.

If I could afford a rift and a pc capable of running it I'd have one, but unfortunately I have way more important things to spend out on :(

Oculus just makes the Gear headset. But yes you need a pretty solid setup for VR. I was very surprised how much it needs. My last build was 5 years ago, so i justified the upgrade, but it wasn't crazy.

I started with a new Graphics card (AMD R9 390 8GB) $330, new cards require PCIe 3.0 to really get full use, so i purchased an MSI Z170A Carbon monther board $150, I5 6600 $220, and 16GB of the new DDR4 RAM $80. it a bit of money, but ill be good for the next 5 years!

NorthEastMX

I agree, the CV1 is the top shelf product..  I was just thinking if we could open it up. It could really be amazing. I think VR is going to be incredible in the next few years..   VR + Motion simulators = WOW !!