• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:48:03 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Highpoint Raceway - WIP

Started by GDUBMX, January 26, 2017, 12:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Don't give up mate, and don't rush. Have you tried making jumps the same as in my tutorial?

As long as they are mellow and curved you shouldn't go too wrong.. View them from the side regularly to make sure they are curved and not lumpy and if you need to, bulldoze it and start again.

If you make all the jumps best you can, I don't mind touching them up if you need it :)

GDUBMX

Cheers ike,  my trouble is getting everything rideable like your tracks,  it all kind of moulds together and has no definition.  Even triples that have the right trajectory just isn't working out lol.  Yeah tried the tutorial for jumps but mines on an uphill.  I'll keep working away but I may take you up on that offer mate. Plus texturing will define it more,  I have inside and outside lines which you can really tell apart, I'll send you a beta later
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

BadStar

Hey Gdub,

If u are using the satellite photo as a texture layer in L3DT to place the jumps etc.. you can also use the same pic as a texture in-game (temporarily/hmf).. just set it as "repetition = 1"..

This way you will have an immediate texture placeholder and will be able to see the track as u test it much better! (And requires no time wasted texturing the track until u are further in the heightmap or complete at that matter.
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

BadStar

From one newb builder to another..

I'd love to see a small vid of you building one of the jumps on the hill..just to see

You never know, Fats or whomever may see something that would help u.

Also, don't always worry about the math behind the jumps, if they are in the right spot on the track..go more by "feel" in-game.

And excuse me again as I only have so much I can say as I'm learning also.
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

𝖙𝖋𝖈

January 27, 2017, 04:42:37 PM #19 Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:47:46 PM by TFC
Hill or no hill, the concept is the same. First thing I would do is horizontally level the track surface using bulldozer at 0, make it the width of the track and just redraw it to make it level, then I would smooth it, then worry about jumps and track features.

Badstar is spot on again, use the image you took at the same time as the heightmap As a 1x repeated texture, works perfectly for a guide and a temp texture in game.

For example https://youtu.be/aJjpGvwTbhU

Asdrael

Jump for the jumps: the profile should be like this more or less (awesome exagerated drawing):

You need a slow ramp up and then a flat part before take off, otherwise you'll throw the bike soff balance. You can roll off the top no problem too, but there needs to be a flat part at maximum slope.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

GDUBMX

January 28, 2017, 02:39:25 AM #21 Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:07:45 PM by gdubmx
https://youtu.be/-8FbOOmwvU0

On phone so can't embed,  but the scale on jumps is way way off lol man this sucks!

https://www.youtube.com/v/-8FbOOmwvU0&t=113s

Mace-x

That´s directly from google maps?  :o
looking good mate, it´s actually a sweet base terrain to mold

2tfanatic

Quote from: Mace-x on January 28, 2017, 03:40:31 PM
That´s directly from google maps?  :o
looking good mate, it´s actually a sweet base terrain to mold

yes looks like it is :)

GDUBMX

thats a 2d pic of highpoint as a texture layer on the track, i created the heightmap

Asdrael

From what I have seen, you might want to plane the track down. Way too much of it is to strongly off camber, in particular given how the bike handles of camber leaning in MXB. The elevation looks awesome though!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

GDUBMX

Quote from: Asdrael on January 29, 2017, 08:26:04 PM
From what I have seen, you might want to plane the track down. Way too much of it is to strongly off camber, in particular given how the bike handles of camber leaning in MXB. The elevation looks awesome though!

lol what does that mean mate? flatten it?

Asdrael

I meant keep the slope back/front, reduce the slope left/right from your perspective when you are on the bike.
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

GDUBMX

StoneRider

Quote from: TFC on January 27, 2017, 04:42:37 PM
horizontally level the track surface using bulldozer at 0, make it the width of the track and just redraw it to make it level, then I would smooth it, then worry about jumps and track features