• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:17:58 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Normal map - how to?

Started by Asdrael, January 25, 2017, 03:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asdrael

Trying to figure out how to make a normal map for a rider skin, and scratching my head.
- Which channel is the important one?
- Which format should the _n file be?
- How do you actually make the map?

Any advice welcome!
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

StoneRider

January 25, 2017, 03:28:51 PM #1 Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 04:16:47 PM by StoneRider
Quote from: Asdrael on January 25, 2017, 03:09:54 PM
Trying to figure out how to make a normal map for a rider skin, and scratching my head.
- Which channel is the important one?
- Which format should the _n file be?
- How do you actually make the map?

Any advice welcome!

First of all you need a plugin for photoshop like the nvidia normal map plugin. The norm is a height map. your base layer is black n white, black is low, white is high. When ou have your height map you just transform it in Normal map with the plug in.
- all 3 color channels are important. you also have an Alpha channel in your norm, where you'll put you specular map to set the shininess.
- The normal map format is the same as the color map.
- black is low, white is high... :)

Jose Reina

All of this normal map interests me, and much!

Asdrael

Thanks Stone. Got the basics now. I just need to figure out how to make a good looking normal map, so far it's a bit extreme. It doesn't help that the NVidia tool doesn't work on PS 8 (which I am using), I have to go through an online converter...
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

𝖙𝖋𝖈

January 25, 2017, 08:04:09 PM #4 Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:06:52 PM by TFC
Try a program called CrazyBump. Demo is free and unrestricted in what you can do.

Simply copy your image in black and white as stone said, I normally remove flat logos from the rider and keep the embossed ones, stitches, seams and add materials like jersey holes, flexy bits and what not, then you can make your norm and spec, copy each to clipboard and paste them in ps or gimp in my case.

You can adjust loads of settings like intensity, texture or slope influence, small medium and large detail etc.. And it also has 3d preview albeit only cube or sphere projection it's useful none the less..

Another tip, keep your spec very low, you only want grey at best for the parts you want reflective and the rest wants to be very dark or black. Make it high contrast in that sense or you will end up with road bike leathers lol ;D

conceptgraffmxs

Asdrael

Thanks, I'll have a look into those.

In the case of gear (rider paint), how do you proceed with shading and frabic style? Do you leave both on for texture and normal, or only on in one case (texture or normal then)?
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I like to leave shading on in spec and norm, and really tone it down for the paint. Sometimes on the paint I duplicate it, invert b&w and mess with levels to make the edges of the shading more prominent.

As for fabric like jersey holes, seams and flexy bits like inner thigh and butt, on the paint I leave the prominent ones in but remove the material ones.

Sometimes removing or massively toning down shading from harder surfaces like the inside of calves and some more padded thicker material on the legs can make it look more realistic.