• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 01:48:59 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

MX Simulator 3D scanned tracks

Started by GDUBMX, April 09, 2017, 06:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDUBMX

<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Niklas Sandbox I think.. I've seen the vids on youtube, pretty cool. They build tracks in a sandpit and laser scan them for the heightmap.

PiBoSo

Quote from: TFC on April 09, 2017, 06:31:39 PM
Niklas Sandbox I think.. I've seen the vids on youtube, pretty cool. They build tracks in a sandpit and laser scan them for the heightmap.

The idea of laser scanned motocross tracks is intriguing.
However, after looking around, the track creator simply builds a miniature circuit in a sandbox, and then uses a software that automatically generates a heightmap from photos.
It is NOT laser scanning and it's not any better than constructing the terrain in a 3D modelling program, like Snappe does.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: PiBoSo on April 09, 2017, 07:07:46 PM

However, after looking around, the track creator simply builds a miniature circuit in a sandbox, and then uses a software that automatically generates a heightmap from photos.
It is NOT laser scanning and it's not any better than constructing the terrain in a 3D modelling program, like Snappe does.

Ah I see.. That's disappointing. Still a neat process but not quite what I thought.

When I said 'I've seen the vids on youtube' I really meant, I've seen people reviewing their tracks who always reference them as 'laser scanned'..

The idea of building a sandbox circuit and laser scanning them is definitely intriguing. So much so that I started looking at cheap laser scanners LOL  8)

Asdrael

Got a cat litter box I can lend you. Including modeled tree trunks to scale.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Haha Asdrael ;D

My kids have a sandbox, but if I was to do that it might come out half mx track, half sandcastle

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Now we're talking.. Who'd like to see a micro machine type beach track? Giant sand castles, sun loungers, bucket and spades, towels, drinks cans etc, would be kinda funny lol

GDUBMX

Ruubs

I'm in for a nude beach with a sand castle as scenery.

If you need any help feel free to ask me!

PiBoSo

Quote from: TFC on April 09, 2017, 07:22:02 PM

Ah I see.. That's disappointing. Still a neat process but not quite what I thought.

When I said 'I've seen the vids on youtube' I really meant, I've seen people reviewing their tracks who always reference them as 'laser scanned'..

The idea of building a sandbox circuit and laser scanning them is definitely intriguing. So much so that I started looking at cheap laser scanners LOL  8)

It might be easier if you are a real life sculptor, however this process doesn't improve the accuracy of the track compared to sculpting in a 3D modeling program.
The true advantage of laser scanning is to map a real circuit to match elevations 1:1.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

True. I just have a huge curiosity when it comes to stuff like this.. Purely from the creative standpoint.

Even the photo to 3d stuff is interesting.

GDUBMX

Yeh defo, this guy is talented. never would of thought of that approach! they look awesome

Bj Slice

Quote from: PiBoSo on April 09, 2017, 11:00:54 PM
Quote from: TFC on April 09, 2017, 07:22:02 PM

It might be easier if you are a real life sculptor, however this process doesn't improve the accuracy of the track compared to sculpting in a 3D modeling program.
The true advantage of laser scanning is to map a real circuit to match elevations 1:1.

I bought the first release of the first track which was named Niklas Sandbox and I downloaded the free other track (most recent is the SX track) which are both laser-scanned tracks and they are both great. What I think is that, it all boils down to how the modder creates the the texture and how creative he is mixing it up to make it feel natural.The objects are spot-on on those tracks as well. Niklas has done a great job of doing that as he is able to make a track real look good. It sure is easier to get the height map but I guess it is not the height map that takes time and makes a track look great.
"Practice not until you get it right. But practice until you can never get it wrong, and make it a routine"