• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:27:23 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

The Assets Thread

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, April 17, 2017, 01:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yirka63

Niko Mouk

January 19, 2020, 05:45:07 PM #16 Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 06:04:17 PM by Niko Mouk
Start grid used in my MXGP tracks

How to use : Put the gate.edf into your track folder. In TrackEd, set the lane width around 1.20.

DOWNLOAD LINK

Hey ! If you like my work, you can 💰 donate on Paypal, thank you !

conceptgraffmxs

Quote from: Niko Mouk on January 19, 2020, 05:45:07 PMStart grid used in my MXGP tracks

How to use : Put the gate.edf into your track folder. In TrackEd, set the lane width around 1.20.

DOWNLOAD LINK

BIG BIG THANKS FOR THIS RELEASE PUBLIC BRO !!!!!! amazing

giopanda

hey guys!
i've been able to have a working trackside timer for my supermoto track and i thought it could be actually useful on any track!
this will work both during training (telling how much time has passed since the beginning of the session) and during races, doing the countdown in free practice sessions)

the download includes the .fbx and .blend and all the files needed to make it work, plus a readme with instructions

feel free to edit and do whatever you want with the model, it is just a template and a starting point.

the timer won't show any number until in game, not even in mapviewer so don't worry!

cheers

Trackside Timer

ChaosLasse

Hello, so, i am new in the Mx-Bikes community and i would like to support some trackmakers with custom object.
I just want to help out for free, because i want some smaller projects to work on to improve my modeling skills while studying.

I am currendly working on some more detailed trees, how much polygons / vertices are fine for trees, is there a LOD system?
And is this even the right thread to post this?

Have a good day!

Ruubs

Quote from: ChaosLasse on August 23, 2020, 05:49:02 PMHello, so, i am new in the Mx-Bikes community and i would like to support some trackmakers with custom object.
I just want to help out for free, because i want some smaller projects to work on to improve my modeling skills while studying.

I am currendly working on some more detailed trees, how much polygons / vertices are fine for trees, is there a LOD system?
And is this even the right thread to post this?

Have a good day!
There is no LOD system for track objects in MXB.

I've been working on a couple of trees for my upcoming track. I aim for 200-300 polygons in total. Some trees, like willows, require some more though.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Trees would be welcome because I feel like trees are what let some tracks down in terms of visuals. LODs for trees and other objects would be a great idea if it actually helped performance.

PiBoSo

Quote from: 𝖙𝖋𝖈 on August 23, 2020, 08:13:13 PMTrees would be welcome because I feel like trees are what let some tracks down in terms of visuals. LODs for trees and other objects would be a great idea if it actually helped performance.

The suggestion is to use "static" LODs, placing the more detailed trees near the track and the "cross" ones in the distance.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: PiBoSo on August 24, 2020, 11:20:33 AM
Quote from: 𝖙𝖋𝖈 on August 23, 2020, 08:13:13 PMTrees would be welcome because I feel like trees are what let some tracks down in terms of visuals. LODs for trees and other objects would be a great idea if it actually helped performance.

The suggestion is to use "static" LODs, placing the more detailed trees near the track and the "cross" ones in the distance.

Sounds perfect

Resolute Kraken

Quote from: PiBoSo on August 24, 2020, 11:20:33 AMThe suggestion is to use "static" LODs, placing the more detailed trees near the track and the "cross" ones in the distance.

Isn't that what we are doing now because there is no LOD system?  That doesn't work on large tracks where you are actually riding across the whole map.  If your draw distance is set to high at 1000 meters, and the track goes from edge to edge of that 1000 meters or even close to it, why should a building or tree that is 1000 meters away be rendered with a high poly model until you get close to the object.  If I'm even 100 meters away from a tree it would seem better to use a low poly billboard for a tree and then as you get close a high-poly one could be used for better detail. 

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Oh, my bad, I misread.

Kraken is right. A track like High Point was fine because there weren't many trees. I was able to use higher poly trees around the track edge and low X shape trees further back.

However, a track like Ironman which is covered in trees I made the stupid decision to use high poly trees throughout and it took such a performance hit because of it. Mildenhall I used 2d trees and the same 3d grass as I did on Ironman with none of the performance issues even with an 8k normal.

I'm currently doing a track similar to Ironman which I've opted to go for 2d trees, but if there was an option for LOD's it would be a no brainer.

Resolute Kraken

Yep, on Kraken Berg I started out with all 3D trees, it quickly affected the FPS so I had to switch to only 3D trees next to the trails, and even then I only have 3D trunks and billboard tree tops.  Depending on the direction you are pointed and how many of the 3D trees are in frame, the FPS will be affected.

giopanda

the best would be having billboards like in mxs.
even a cross shaped tree is made up of 4 faces, while a billboard is just one, making possible having 4 times the trees with the same performance hit (if any)

iNsane

Isn't grass actually billboards (facing towards you) and wouldn't it be possible to make a "grass"-tree that way?
I tried it once with bushes and iirc it worked.

🌐 MX Bikes custom content
MXB-Mods.com

📚 MX Bikes User Wiki
MXB-Wiki.com

💸 Feel free to donate
PayPal

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Yes the bushes on Glen Helen are 3d grass. The bigger the 3d grass dimensions in the track file the further the visibility, but my understanding is that 3d grass is more expensive than a 3d model equivalent. Not sure why.. Maybe because an early beta improved 3d grass performance and maybe I've clung on to that.

Another downside to 3d grass is that it becomes hit and miss where it appears. Yes you have density maps and parameters but you still don't really have 100% control.

Also it is either shaded or isn't shaded. Can't remember which right now but both could potentially lead to undesirable effects when used for trees depending on how you use it. The TREE prefix evens out the normal shading and makes trees look better (most of you guys who make tracks don't seem to do this so your trees look like cardboard models).

Also 3d grass doesn't cast shadows so use for billboard trees would be terrible.

I think it should be possible to add billboard objects for distant trees but it would need to be a prefix for an object in your model that should determine a billboard. Also, it would need to be able to face the light source to render a decent shadow at the point of shadow map creation.