• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:42:32 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Mud layers

Started by Alex, April 23, 2017, 10:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

figured i would make a a topic because im sure in the future will help others

probably stupid questions but i have NO idea and only saw something about them in track editing

what does mud texture look like.
does each track have different ones or is it only on the models you have them applied to.

from your reply tfc

numlayers=1
layer1
{
   numframes = 3
   frame0=mud/livery_mud1.tga
   frame1=mud/livery_mud2.tga
   frame2=mud/livery_mud3.tga
}

would you apply this to everything like boots/rider/helmet/gloves or is it something that covers all those things at once
(sorry if stupid i have no idea)

𝖙𝖋𝖈

I think you're over thinking it lol.. So before I explain:

Mud layers are included before export only, and are applied over the base texture AND any custom paints.

Right now, mud layers are specific to texture. As you can see that mud layer references a texture (livery). If you're trying to add a mud layer that covers your helmet.tga you're going to want to:

Make a file called helmet.lyr in the same folder as your helmet.tga.

Open up your helmet.tga in ps/gimp and make a new layer, draw on mud (however you want it to look) and save just that layer as a tga with alpha as helmet_mud1.tga or something.

Then add more mud, save it as helmet_mud2.tga, then add more mud and save as helmet_mud3.tga.

These mud textures MUST be just mud with a transparent background so only export the layer with the mud on, use the helmet texture for a guide and hide it before exporting.

Then, put these mud textures in the same folder as your helmet.tga and your helmet.lyr, and edit the helmet.lyr and update the paths to use your helmet_mud1, 2 and 3 textures.

Then export your helmet model through fbx2edf and the mud frames will be included. Simple as that.

Alex

thats so cool. cant wait to try it out.
thanks for reply man.
couple of questions  ;D
- can you have more than 3 layers
- the mud shots ive seen all perfectly match rider,boots,gloves helmet ect how will i get it to match the rider if its a different texture  :-[
-do you think you could post a pic/ reference of a mud layer/layers you or someone has done
- (prob not but maybe) can you do norms for the mud
;D

𝖙𝖋𝖈

April 23, 2017, 12:45:03 PM #3 Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:47:14 PM by TFC
You can have more than 3 layers, but only 3 show up. At least that's how it was in the last beta. I tried 4 frames on the RM, rode easily 80 laps on forest and the 4th mud layer just never showed, so don't waste your time with it ;)

I don't know what you mean by the next part. The mud layers that are on the current stock models were all made by PiBoSo. The mud layers that are on the KXF, YZF, CRF, RMZ etc in my opinion don't match at all. One bike looks like it's been left out in a sandstorm.. Also the Fox v4 mud layer looks like this. None of the custom bikes mud layers match the stock stuff at all, so don't worry, do your best.

I asked the question about normals and never got an answer. It wouldn't bring that much to it from a gameplay point of view, only for screenshots really. I also never tried, but there's no harm in you trying, just add an SHD file with the norms the same way you would for your texture, but for each mud layer (frame, as it's called in the LYR)..

This is my RM with the mud layer overlayed

This is the mud layer image on it's own

Alex

Quote from: TFC on April 23, 2017, 12:45:03 PM

I don't know what you mean by the next part. The mud layers that are on the current stock models were all made by PiBoSo. The mud layers that are on the KXF, YZF, CRF, RMZ etc in my opinion don't match at all. One bike looks like it's been left out in a sandstorm.. Also the Fox v4 mud layer looks like this. None of the custom bikes mud layers match the stock stuff at all, so don't worry, do your best.

nah thats exactly what i was wondering. awesome man thanks so much for the help. such a cool feature cant wait to try some different stuff out.  ;D

Alex

ok so i made my 3 layers and made the lyr file and exported and after about 10 seconds of riding the helmet turns white.
anyone had this happen before?

Vortex_Damien

Setup your alpha channels

Alex

Quote from: Vortex_Damien on April 24, 2017, 07:41:44 AM

oh
not exactly sure how to do this

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: Alex on April 24, 2017, 07:51:10 AM
Quote from: Vortex_Damien on April 24, 2017, 07:41:44 AM

oh
not exactly sure how to do this

And I think this is why some people might doubt you made the helmet in the first place lol.. It would be rare for someone to be able to model competently in Blender but not know how to save a transparent TGA.. I'm not pointing the finger, just saying.

Anyway, I only know Gimp, and to do it in Gimp you have to right click the layer and 'add alpha channel'.

A lot of these types of questions you can find the answer to on Google or YouTube tutorials easily enough. I don't mind answering them but you'll probably find out quicker if you searched yourself.

Alex

well for sim you dont need to deal with this shit you can just export jm straight to folder and you are done lol
i saved them as transparent tga....i did it all but then it turns white. once again ive never had to 'set up alpha channels' for sim thats why this is new to me..
this isnt even for the v3 anyway it looks shit in game. the visor needs to be re done and need to work on mouthpeice.
and the uv map is kinda bad for skinning n photoshop. i paint all my skins using stencil texture paint in blender so doesnt matter if the uv is shit. but if i release it how it is and people want to make skins for it they will have issues.

Alex

never even clicked on the channels tab lol
colour and opacity?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Is that Photoshop? I have no idea about PS.. You're best off googling how to make a transparent TGA in Photoshop.

Alex

made tga with alpha channels and its strange after 20 seconds of playing the skin dissapears and so does the normals of the helmet
has anyone actually had this happen to them where it goes white

right ater

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Can you post a screenshot of your folder and the contents of your .LYR file?

Alex

this my folder

this i have this in lyr.

numlayers=1
layer1
{
   numframes = 3
   frame0=mud/helmet_mud1.tga
   frame1=mud/helmet_mud2.tga
   frame2=mud/helmet_mud3.tga
}