• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:53:25 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Southwick Groomed | Deformation maps

Started by Ruubs, July 08, 2017, 04:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruubs

July 08, 2017, 04:14:37 PM Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:45:32 PM by Sandbiter

https://www.mediafire.com/?4bacaeqw9xa5t8i

---
New version of Southwick 2016. Terrain is fully groomed, it has new textures and overall better optimized. The track also has deformation maps which Asdrael and I have played around with. The deformation should form ruts, braking bumps and waves.
---

The Wick! Motocross' most famous sandbox returns to greet racers with its classic ultra-rough terrain, a never-ending bump fest that just gets deeper and tougher as the day goes on. A sand track is an entirely different animal, and if the riders aren't prepared, it will eat them up.

The key to The Wick is adapting to its ever-shifting terrain. Fans should get there early to see how smooth the track looks before practice begins, and then track how quickly the bumps begin to form. By the end of practice, the place is totally whooped out, and they only get deeper during the motos. The smartest riders will keep searching for smoother lines, hitting the untouched spots until they get rough, then finding new ground again somewhere else.  Making these decisions while your heart, lungs, arms and legs are screaming is something only the toughest and fittest can do.

Southwick is so unique that it favors local riders more than any other track. They know where the good lines will develop, and they'll have The Wick faithful pushing them to dig deep late in the motos. Be sure to scan the hometown listings for each rider on the entry list—someone you've never heard of might be in contention for a podium.

For all of its gnarliness, Southwick is nestled right in the middle of a very quaint downtown. You'll be surprised to find a legendary motocross track nestled right up against baseball fields and an American Legion post, but all of that just adds to an experience unlike any other.

Credits:
Piboso and Snappe for the documentations.
Vortex_Damien for the bleacher model.
Most of the community for beta testing awhile back.
Asdrael for his sand textures / norms and testing out the deformation map idea.
promotocross.com for the track history.

Asdrael

Awesome, the latest version was great fun. And with sand deforming that fast, it really makes lines emerge and change. I can only assume that it's the last one we "beta tested" but I can already say great job Sandy   ;D

Now I just need my computer back so I can play it haha
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

BadStar

Dang, I am going to miss it in its glory (race).. out of town today

Maybe a fun event sometime?
Most Active In-Game        PM me and I may be able to race!
Mon-Fri
East Coast: 4p-10p 
Forum Time: 9pm-3am (-5)
Sat/Sun Anytime

Ruubs

Quote from: Asdrael on July 08, 2017, 04:29:04 PM
Awesome, the latest version was great fun. And with sand deforming that fast, it really makes lines emerge and change. I can only assume that it's the last one we "beta tested" but I can already say great job Sandy   ;D

Now I just need my computer back so I can play it haha
Should be the same. I don't think I've changed anything else.

Quote from: BadStar on July 08, 2017, 05:08:50 PM
Dang, I am going to miss it in its glory (race).. out of town today

Maybe a fun event sometime?
I'm all in for a fun event sometime! ;D

NorthEastMX

I would love to see a new version of this. Its my local track and has a few changes... The finish line is now a step down double. And a couple of other minor things. Great track !!

CBM Racing

Quote from: Agitato on January 12, 2021, 03:23:37 AMIt's coming...

tfcmods.com
Southwick is my local track I have been Racing there since I was 4 years old I still remember they raced Trucks there and 3 wheelers lol. I love it but it needs to be wider like by about double the current width. The 1:1 scaling in this game just doesn't work for some reason in my humble opinion. When a set of the most popular Pro Tapers handlebars are 30 inches wide I believe (the Henry/Reed bend) and they take up at least a 3rd of the track in 1st person it just doesn't work. In the 3rd person, it is not so bad but the game was built to be played in the 1st person which is why they have a "force cockpit" option. When the tracks are 1:1 scaling you don't go way outside to carry your speed. I love all the tracks and track builders they do great work! But there is only a handful of tracks in my opinion that feel right and with the exception of WW Ranch and the new Fox Raceway, I have ridden every Pro National track. The new Loretta's Pro National is a prime example of having a nice wide track with long sweeping corners and one or two corners more to the inside that make a huge difference on how you hit the next line coming out of the corner. Southwick is and always will be a hard track to make in a videogame due to its multiple lines acceleration/braking bumps and all the other natural forming obstacles that develop throughout the Race. That track is glass smooth it's the 100+ bikes that form all the obstacles and lines throughout the day. Southwick needs to be built kinda like Lierop, when you ride that track the entire time it feels like you were riding in deep sand and it gets rougher every lap. I know people are going to say if you can do better than building it yourself I am working on it which is how I discovered most tracks have a width of 25-40 feet wide which 2 & 1/2 feet doesn't take up a 3rd of that even the most narrow tracks. But I will never be as good as TFC he is one if not the most talented track builder and does an amazing job on all of his tracks. I have all the faith in the world that he will build us a beautiful track I only wish the guys building the tracks have actually ridden them or at the very least walked the track or went to see a Pro National there but it is hard when they live thousands of miles away in another country!

GDUBMX

January 13, 2021, 06:35:13 PM #7 Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 06:40:56 PM by GDUBMX
@cbm what track are you gonna make then mate, assuming you literally ridden every track in the USA. Perhaps you need to work on your technique with riding and learn how to ride 1:1 tracks, there is a bunch of people that continue to ride the same massively over scaled tracks because it's easy and doesn't require any skills whatsoever. Your notion of "people from thousands of miles away should not build tracks unless they have ridden them" is total horseshit. Let's face it, most of the non 1:1 tracks are boring, hugely overscaled and are just generally shit. They offer no challenge, no battles, no fun. MX Bikes has a divide with its player base for this very reason, you have those who prefer the challenge of 1:1,realism and working on their skill to actually improve and become better, and you have those who refuse to play anything other than forest, tnmx, club over and over. They don't like ruts, bumps, dragon backs or whoops, they just want the Marioworld tracks. I get it, fun is subjective to each person but to out right say stuff like you continue to spout off is just dumb. I guess the old meme of "git gud" applies more than ever here eh.

Really looking forward to seeing your tracks though. Hopefully I won't need mushrooms and to save the princess on them though..
<br />GDUBMX YouTube<br />

sloofa

@cbm:
Scaling works quite well. But if you set your camera FOV to 100+ it will look very narrow of course. Try 40FOV the you will see how wide the tracks actually are

Sv3n

Track is awesome, my TOP 3 easy :D

BUT (pig one), deformation is weird, looks like some textures or something pops "on and off" and some parts of track it does not deform proper lines.
Ingame "Sv3n"