• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:37:43 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

FBX2EDF 1.19 Export sizes

Started by 𝖙𝖋𝖈, October 28, 2017, 11:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Weird issue, not sure if it's 100% related to FBX2EDF 1.19 or not, but worth double checking.

When I export about 200 trees from Blender and run FBX2EDF, it returns an EDF file size of roughly 26,000kb to 28,000kb (can't remember the exact figure.

When I export just 5 trees on their own from Blender and run FBX2EDF, it returns an EDF file size of roughly 26,000kb.

When I double those 5 trees to 10, it doesn't really affect file size.

Is there a starting size for anything exported? For example, if I export one plane or 50 trees is it going to start at a certain size? Reason I ask is because 5 trees or 200 both seem to take about 25 minutes running map.bat.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

The 5 trees are different, but each are made using planes so all same number of tris.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

That's a damn good point dude.. Can you confirm this PiBoSo?

𝖙𝖋𝖈

On the same subject, my scenery file is now 124kb and it's taken over 25 minutes so far.. Without scenery.edf it takes 2 minutes max.

Pib? Is this normal?

PiBoSo

Quote from: тғc on October 28, 2017, 11:30:24 PM
Weird issue, not sure if it's 100% related to FBX2EDF 1.19 or not, but worth double checking.

When I export about 200 trees from Blender and run FBX2EDF, it returns an EDF file size of roughly 26,000kb to 28,000kb (can't remember the exact figure.

When I export just 5 trees on their own from Blender and run FBX2EDF, it returns an EDF file size of roughly 26,000kb.

Is there a starting size for anything exported? For example, if I export one plane or 50 trees is it going to start at a certain size? Reason I ask is because 5 trees or 200 both seem to take about 25 minutes running map.bat.

Are the trees textured?
Please note that EDF and MAP files include the textures, that usually take more space than geometry.

PiBoSo

Quote from: тғc on October 29, 2017, 10:34:57 PM
On the same subject, my scenery file is now 124kb and it's taken over 25 minutes so far.. Without scenery.edf it takes 2 minutes max.

Pib? Is this normal?

This should be normal because without scenery terrain shadows are not calculated.

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: PiBoSo on October 29, 2017, 10:39:33 PM
Quote from: тғc on October 28, 2017, 11:30:24 PM

Are the trees textured?
Please note that EDF and MAP files include the textures, that usually take more space than geometry.

Yes, and that makes sense. One lot of textures and additional meshes. Thanks.

Quote from: PiBoSo on October 29, 2017, 10:41:21 PM
Quote from: тғc on October 29, 2017, 10:34:57 PM

Pib? Is this normal?

This should be normal because without scenery terrain shadows are not calculated.

OK good to know, thank you for clearing it up :)

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Anyone facing the same problems, if you want a quick way of previewing objects in game open params.ini and set:

shadowvolumes_create = 0

and

shadowmaps_create = 0

Speeds up map.bat from 20 minutes to under a minute for me.

Asdrael

Wait... You didn't know that? Holy shit you must have spent ages waiting for your tracks and JS7 haha.
Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: Asdrael on October 30, 2017, 01:04:25 PM
Wait... You didn't know that? Holy shit you must have spent ages waiting for your tracks and JS7 haha.

Yeah.. That would have sucked!

Oh I knew.. It was only when pib said it would take time due to shadowmap generation that it clicked.. But I'm sure it never used to take that long. Before I'd only turn off shadows when file size got really big.

Snappe

Also, if you want quick rough shadows, you can use these values:

shadowmaps_scale = 0.3
shadowmaps_supersampling = 1

𝖙𝖋𝖈

Quote from: Snappe on October 30, 2017, 07:06:11 PM
Also, if you want quick rough shadows, you can use these values:

shadowmaps_scale = 0.3
shadowmaps_supersampling = 1

Good to know, thanks Snappe :)

philiaN

Oh yeah, thanks for the values. I tested them finally: map.bat -> from ~1:30min -> 10sec :D