• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:25:14 PM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Lean and tear-off suggestions

Started by Ruubs, September 05, 2018, 06:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruubs

I posted this in one of the threads in general discussion last week, but for some reason it didn't get posted. Anyway, here's my 0.02 on the lean and tear-off mechanics.

Lean:
As we all know, the lean angle is weird. I'm not asking for an increased lean angle since you already know about that. The way the lean works now, is that the lean angle seems to connect to the angle of the normal from the terrain. For example, you come into a turn while you lean in slightly before hitting the berm. Once you hit the berm, all of a sudden the bike will lean over a lot more. I THINK the way to fix this, is to make the lean angle connected to the global world axis, not the terrain normal. Though, before that'll actually work out better, the lean angle has to be increased. This method of leaning will most likely get rid of weird physics behaviors on uneven terrains. I'm pretty sure this'll also make the game more predictable and make it possible to have a lot rougher terrains.

Tear-off:
I really like this feature, though, I feel like it isn't enough. You could ride a whole race without pulling any tear-offs. IMO the dirt-on-screen effect should be more. Make it harder to see so you actually have to pull a tear-off.
I've seen that this is mod-able, though I haven't tried if that prevents players from joining online (I hope it does!!). Obviously I am not going to mod it to make it harder for me to see, while others can see everything clearer. The dirt-effect should be increased by default, and it should be impossible to mod this kind of stuff to prevent people from removing the effect altogether.

teeds

Quote from: Sandbiter on September 05, 2018, 06:33:20 PM
Tear-off:
I really like this feature, though, I feel like it isn't enough. You could ride a whole race without pulling any tear-offs. IMO the dirt-on-screen effect should be more. Make it harder to see so you actually have to pull a tear-off.

I was thinking we need less dirt, IRL I can ride a several 20 mins sessions in the dry and not get much on my goggles. In the wet more but it's already too much in the dry if you ask me. Also those that ride 3rd person have no dirt in their view, so why increase the problem for 1st person riders?
"Damn dirt bikers!" - Bubba

Asdrael

Agree for the lean.

For the tear-off, the issue is not the dirt build up, it's that is doesn't depend on your position. Alone on dry or wet, you should barely get your google dirty (actually less than now). When following someone too close in the mud though, you should suffer (using a beam spread function for example).

Donate to me -> feed my coffee addiction -> get more mods!
OEM bikes pack
MXBikes Discord

joao santos 17

September 06, 2018, 12:10:52 PM #3 Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:54:36 PM by joao santos 17
+1 for Sandy Lean and asdrael tear off

Ruubs

Perhaps a mix of increasing the dirt build up time and increasing the effect itself will be the best solution?

I get what you guys are saying that on dry tracks the dirt build up should be less (to be nitpicky, it should be different per traction layer too, sand should build up dirt faster than hardpack). Though I think the dirt buildup should still increase, but take WAY longer to actually make you have to pull a tear-off. Obviously bikes on dry tracks (especially hardpack) will roost dust, which'll eventually make your goggles hard to see through (after a very long time). Sand tracks will build up different than hardpack tracks. Not only the effect, but also the time.

Anyway... that's all a bit too much I think. Maybe for a start it'd be nice to have different build-up times for dry vs wet. It'd also be a GREAT feature to make the roost effect from the bikes a LOT more, and actually link the roost to the tear-offs. That'll make people ride different lines trying to stay out of people's roost.

FryedroPonics