• Welcome to MX Bikes Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:49:32 AM

News:

MX Bikes beta18j available! :)

Bike not sliding on its own?

Started by Phathry25, March 02, 2016, 08:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phathry25

Terrible topic name, I know.

The bike I'm working on should slide the back tire laterally before the front when turning. If feels like the rider only leans over far enough to get near the rear wheel sliding point, but won't lean any further even though the front tire should still have plenty of grip left. I've tried some ridiculous front tire settings but the behavior is still the same. Am I missing something in the physics, or is this how the rider handles this situation? If so can it be adjusted or tuned at all?  If not how much do I have to raise in a Kickstarter to fund it?

PiBoSo

Quote from: Phathry25 on March 02, 2016, 08:22:04 PM
If feels like the rider only leans over far enough to get near the rear wheel sliding point, but won't lean any further even though the front tire should still have plenty of grip left.

This is exactly what the rider does.

Maybe switching to the front wheel will allow for better rear slides in general...

motopsycho87

When you slide a bike in real life, either on power or brake, you shift your body weight as far over the front wheel as you can manage. This stops unwanted wheelies, and gives you far more control determining where you want to go.

Phathry25

I'd be interested to see how that works out.  With the bike I'm building the slide when off power comes from a combination of engine braking and rear brake, although in the real world it can be done w/o brakes.  I'm pretty sure pulling in the clutch and eliminating the engine braking would be a disaster, or at least bring the balance of the bike much further backwards, I've never wanted to test this theory out.  The way it works now you can slide it in decently on the brakes, but the rider isn't turning as much as he could be, he looks like a beginner.  I think it would be better if he rode to the front tire's capacity because in most situations that is the limiting factor.  As I've said having the rear tire track outside or even with the front tire is the key to speed on a motorcycle, I would consider it crucial that the virtual rider master this technique.

Quote from: motopsycho87 on March 02, 2016, 10:58:34 PM
When you slide a bike in real life, either on power or brake, you shift your body weight as far over the front wheel as you can manage. This stops unwanted wheelies, and gives you far more control determining where you want to go.

No you don't, especially in my case.

HornetMaX

Quote from: PiBoSo on March 02, 2016, 09:40:45 PM
Quote from: Phathry25 on March 02, 2016, 08:22:04 PM
If feels like the rider only leans over far enough to get near the rear wheel sliding point, but won't lean any further even though the front tire should still have plenty of grip left.

This is exactly what the rider does.

Interesting. Is it the case in GPB too ?

Quote from: PiBoSo on March 02, 2016, 09:40:45 PM
Maybe switching to the front wheel will allow for better rear slides in general...

You mean having the virtual rider "determining the limit" depending on the front tyre slip conditions instead of the rear tyre slip conditions ?
Not sure how easy it is to implement in practice, but as reasoning it makes sense to me.